Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Beehive vs Dual springs… revisit an old topic from 2007

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd like to say thanks for all your comments and especially the passion you all have for engines. Responding to a few comments:

TrendSetter:
Yes the load profile is very similar to an airboat. In fact my gearbox (1 speed transmission) was originally designed for the airboat community and modified to support aviation. See the link below. I know Sharron at Stinger and she owns an airboat. I'll give her a call.
https://www.stingerdrives.com/shop.html#!/Experimental-Aircraft-Gearbox-1-73/p/374595421/category=0
G Atsma:
There is something to be said for simplicity. I am very convinced either spring will work. But the more I thought about it and read about it, the dual spring was really designed and focused on bigger power. Considering the root cause of a spring cracking or breaking (corrosion and mechanical damage) led me down the simple path. I've elected a beehive spring with 0.600 max lift and 130 lbs of seat pressure with a spring rate of 310 lbs/inch. It is a Summit Racing SUM-176004 replacement for use in LS1/2/3/... 4.8L - 7L LS engines. The higher seat pressure will mitigate a sticky valve.
All:
Once flying, every year all aircraft must undergo an "Annual Inspection." For homebuilts the builder does this. For homebuilts, what is done in the Annual Inspection is 100% dependent on what the builder deems appropriate. One thing I am going to do is pull the valve covers and closely inspect the springs, rockers, etc. In addition I will check the cylinder compression's as well. Compression checks are a standard practice in all aircraft annually. The dialog here has led me to adding the spring inspection. The time it takes to pull a few bolts and look at the springs and rockers is trivial. I haven't fully decided on a number, but every N hours I am going to just replace the springs. They are not all that expensive and it doesn't take all that much time.
Again thanks for all the feedback!

Rick
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-01-2023)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 971 Likes on 692 Posts

Originally Posted by Flyguy
I'd like to say thanks for all your comments and especially the passion you all have for engines. Responding to a few comments:

TrendSetter:
Yes the load profile is very similar to an airboat. In fact my gearbox (1 speed transmission) was originally designed for the airboat community and modified to support aviation. See the link below. I know Sharron at Stinger and she owns an airboat. I'll give her a call.
https://www.stingerdrives.com/shop.html#!/Experimental-Aircraft-Gearbox-1-73/p/374595421/category=0
G Atsma:
There is something to be said for simplicity. I am very convinced either spring will work. But the more I thought about it and read about it, the dual spring was really designed and focused on bigger power. Considering the root cause of a spring cracking or breaking (corrosion and mechanical damage) led me down the simple path. I've elected a beehive spring with 0.600 max lift and 130 lbs of seat pressure with a spring rate of 310 lbs/inch. It is a Summit Racing SUM-176004 replacement for use in LS1/2/3/... 4.8L - 7L LS engines. The higher seat pressure will mitigate a sticky valve.
All:
Once flying, every year all aircraft must undergo an "Annual Inspection." For homebuilts the builder does this. For homebuilts, what is done in the Annual Inspection is 100% dependent on what the builder deems appropriate. One thing I am going to do is pull the valve covers and closely inspect the springs, rockers, etc. In addition I will check the cylinder compression's as well. Compression checks are a standard practice in all aircraft annually. The dialog here has led me to adding the spring inspection. The time it takes to pull a few bolts and look at the springs and rockers is trivial. I haven't fully decided on a number, but every N hours I am going to just replace the springs. They are not all that expensive and it doesn't take all that much time.
Again thanks for all the feedback!

Rick
Just keep one thing in mind about visual inspections. Just because an aluminum connecting rod looks fine, doesnt mean anything. Could fail the next time it runs. Same with a valve spring. Just because it looks new means nothing. However, I urge you to do more than a visual inspection. Annually check the springs pressure against its rated pressure. Also, you could have them magnetic particle inspected, known colloquially as "Magnafluxed." For a car, no. But were talking about a life and death situation every time you fly. Depending on how often, and how far, you fly each time, at a constant 3,500rpm Scott mentioned, you could conceivably put more cycles on the springs in 3 months than you would in your car in a year. Your life, and nobody knows how often you'll be using the engine as well as you do. Best of luck to you......
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-02-2023)

Quick Reply: Beehive vs Dual springs… revisit an old topic from 2007