Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Engine knocking sound, scarred camshaft...what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Fullblast;20524493]
Originally Posted by vegas_ss
The oil filter on mine had a lot of debris in it from the cam, surprisingly the motor wasn't damaged, pistons and bore were checked and found in spec so just a hone and new rings was needed there. Did have the cam bearings replaced and the rotating assembly balanced. All the other bearings were in excellent condition and were reused. Went with a cam motion cam and johnson lifters... just finishing up and will start it up next week]

Do you know why your cam and lifters failed? Or how long this was going on for to get that much debris in the filter?

Should I go with short travel lifters with link bars this time around?
Not sure what the cause was, none of the lifters had rotated, about 100,000 miles on the cam/lifters. I stopped driving once I heard the noise and only started it a couple times to try and diagnose the source. Thought it was a pulley bearing, removed belts but no dice. Most recommendations have been for johnson lifters, I didn't get the link bars. I actually bought the Cadillac racing lifters but traded them in for the johnson 2110r's but I'm sure they would have been fine too.

My cam bearings weren't looking too good although the cam journals were fine, I was just planning on replacing the cam/lifters and timing chain/gears but ran into a snag trying to install the crank gear. Seems the wrong gear was in the box, was a bit longer (didn't notice) and must have been a little smaller since trying to but it on I thought I broke the crank bolt and decided to just have the motor rebuilt... Took about 8 months at the machine shop (the good ones are busy), decided to have them build the long block... just getting it ready to fire this week.
Old 10-16-2023, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,855 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullblast
Im getting a new cam, same as my old one so I don’t need another tune. New lifters and getting a valve job on the heads.

The Melling High volume oil pump, ls2 chain and tick pushrods should still be good right? Only 25k on them.

I used the Delphi ls7 lifters. Any one have advice for a better set of lifters?
Yes, run Johnson linkbar style lifters. Check P-V and verify pushrod length when going back together. Vegas, that looks like a 5150 cam core and I'd opt for the harder 8620 core.
Old 10-16-2023, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Drained the oil and the oil plug had metal shavings stuck to the magnet and it has what looks like a dowel stuck to it as well.

What the hell is that thing? A cam dowel pin?

I'm.still working on pulling the drivers head off, it's a pain in the *** with headers.

​​​​​​

Last edited by Fullblast; 10-16-2023 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-16-2023, 06:14 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,468 Likes on 2,139 Posts

A this point, I’d pull the engine. Metal shavings are never a good thing.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (10-16-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 03:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
Yes, run Johnson linkbar style lifters. Check P-V and verify pushrod length when going back together. Vegas, that looks like a 5150 cam core and I'd opt for the harder 8620 core.
I did ask about the 8620 core when I spoke with the cam motion rep, he recommended not going with the 8620 core for my application although I don't recall the exact reasons since it was 6-8 months ago. Actually going to be firing it up tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Engine knocking sound, scarred camshaft...what happened?