Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

5.3 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 09:02 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 5.3 question

Sorry for a dumb question, but I'm not real familiar with gen IV engines. I'm putting a 5.3 with DOD in a derby car and changing it over to carb. What do I have to do with the DOD?
Old 03-09-2024, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Get rid of it. Change the lifters, plastic lifter trays, pushrods, and cam for non-AFM/DOD parts.
Old 03-09-2024, 10:38 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,612 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by tom70
Sorry for a dumb question, but I'm not real familiar with gen IV engines. I'm putting a 5.3 with DOD in a derby car and changing it over to carb. What do I have to do with the DOD?
Most derby cars are going to the crusher at the end of the night, so I’m not sure I’d put any money in the deal. The DOD only operates at cruise with light load. You’ll never be there in a derby car. And if you just so happen to lose a lifter during the event…who cares? On the other hand, maybe your car survives the night to run again another night…maybe consider G’s advice and get the crappy lifters out of the engine…or maybe it’s cheaper for you to simply buy another junkyard engine if the DOD lifters do decide to crap the bed. You can turn off DOD in the tune as another option, but it doesn’t mean the junky lifters aren’t still in the engine.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Most derby cars are going to the crusher at the end of the night, so I’m not sure I’d put any money in the deal. The DOD only operates at cruise with light load. You’ll never be there in a derby car. And if you just so happen to lose a lifter during the event…who cares? On the other hand, maybe your car survives the night to run again another night…maybe consider G’s advice and get the crappy lifters out of the engine…or maybe it’s cheaper for you to simply buy another junkyard engine if the DOD lifters do decide to crap the bed. You can turn off DOD in the tune as another option, but it doesn’t mean the junky lifters aren’t still in the engine.
​​​​Can I put a 4.8 valley cover on?
Old 03-10-2024, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

As long as it's a Gen IV valley cover and doesn't have the extended center holes for Gen III knock sensors. You'll have to plug the DOD holes under the factory valley cover though, because if they're not you'll have a massive internal oil leak.
Old 03-10-2024, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1Formulation
As long as it's a Gen IV valley cover and doesn't have the extended center holes for Gen III knock sensors. You'll have to plug the DOD holes under the factory valley cover though, because if they're not you'll have a massive internal oil leak.
Thank you

Quick Reply: 5.3 question