Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

3 valve heads- advantages and disadvantages

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 valve heads- advantages and disadvantages

There is a discussion on another forum regarding the merrits of a 3 valve head, such as the design many people think the LS7 will employ.

To me, a 3 valve head makes sense. You get more air into the the engine, without the problems you encounter in port velocity and smooth airflow when you use one big valve instead of two smaller ones.

However, someone on another forum seems convinced that a 3 valve head is inferior to a 2 valve head.

It doesnt matter if its had sufficent development, there are performance benefits of only having 1 intake vavle. This comes in at low and mid range levels and is why the Viper and Corvette have about the broadest powerbands in the world. A 3 vavle head will either lose that broadness or the motor will gain in complexness but it will lose in gas mileage. It will gain a bit of top end Horsepower though, but they can more then reach their goals in power without it. And it wont be that big of a gian anyhow, and wont be any gain at 6,500rpms.
I'm no automotive engineer, but that doesn't make any sense to me. If I'm wrong and he's right, can someone explain why?

Let's discuss!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

more air = more power
Old 09-02-2004, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

more air = more power
That's more or less what I said to him, although I used a few more words to get my point across.

He also said:
And I do not want to see the 3 vavle head on the motor for it will hurt the low and mid range torque requiring the motor to become even more complex. That will also greatly add to the price.
WTF?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Here's what the SAE thinks about the design:

To further extend the life of the Generation IV V8 and its revised High Value V6 engines, the company has devised a three-valve head design to work with these pushrod engines. Adding a second intake valve improves intake air flow, which provides some value, but perhaps more importantly the design relocates the exhaust valve and the spark plug within the combustion chamber. The exhaust valve moves from alongside the intake valve to the other side of the cylinder, so less exhaust heat transfers to the intake port. The resulting cooler intake charge boosts power and efficiency. Positioning intake and exhaust valves on opposite sides of the combustion chamber leaves space in the center for the spark plug, which improves combustion efficiency. Together, these improvements boost power output by 10-15%
Old 09-02-2004, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
I think it is just a gimmick. I have saved a couple pictures of the "three-valve" heads. Pretty weak. Both of the intake valves are connected to a single pushrod. You end up with more valvetrain mass, maybe a little better flow (if the air doesn't have to dodge oddly-shaped intake ports), and probably valve float. It's a lame-*** way to put a spin on dying technology. Don't get me wrong, pushrod engines are awesome, and will still be around for a long time. But overhead cams and variable valve timing make for less moving parts, increased efficiency, and more power. I think GM is just stalling, and giving everyone some "eye-candy" while they (budget permitting) get ready to build a real V8. Or they could just be lining up to screw us like they did when they killed the F-body and made the lame-*** looking GTO. Weak GM...very weak.
I think you're right on about VVT, but the technology isn't there yet, is it?

As for OHC technology, it's been around almost as long as pushrod technology. OHC motors are generally heavier and less efficient (specifically when it comes to fuel economy). I could go on, but I believe that arguement has already been beaten to death.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=24

3-valve heads a gimmick? Seems like A LOT of effort that will do nothing but **** everyone off in the end when they don't deliver. GM's made some dumb mistakes IMO, but I give them more credit than THAT.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

We are doing the machine work for the 3 valve Vette heads and the V10 version going in the HDs. We have been told we'll get a ride in a car with one of the 3 valve setups in the next month or so. I'll let you know if its a gimmick
Old 09-02-2004, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pman
We are doing the machine work for the 3 valve Vette heads and the V10 version going in the HDs. We have been told we'll get a ride in a car with one of the 3 valve setups in the next month or so. I'll let you know if its a gimmic k
Wow! Can I ask who you work for?
Old 09-02-2004, 08:58 PM
11 Second Club

LSM Motorsports...we are going to be working on most of the valvetrain... cam and springs. Camshafts are our speciality but we are a full machine shop.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

LSM Motorsports...we are going to be working on most of the valvetrain... cam and springs. Camshafts are our speciality but we are a full machine shop.
Any ideas or comments on the sort of cam design you would use to take advantage of a 3 valve head?
Old 09-02-2004, 09:04 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not a cam guru but i'll see what i can divulge tomorrow.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

I'm not a cam guru but i'll see what i can divulge tomorrow.
Cool- that'd rock if you're allowed to say anything about this.

When I saw some of the data on the 6.4L GTO concept, it made me wonder if the motor it uses will be similar to the LS7 setup.

Here's what someone posted about it:

All engine parts are from the Gen IV small block family
Engine Displacement: 6.4L (389 CID)
Bore: 105.03mm (4.135”)
Stroke: 92.00mm (3.622”)
REV Limit: 7000 RPM
Peak Hp: 575 Hp @ 6800 RPM
Peak Tq: 500 Lb-Ft @ 5200 RPM
Compression Ratio: 10.5:1
Cam Shaft: Custom GM Hyd Roller
Valve lift: 15.75mm (.620”)
Cam Duration Int: 232 deg @ .050” Tappet
Cam Duration Exh: 272 deg @ .050” Tappet
90mm Throttle Body
Dual Mass Air Flow sensors, Cold air induction system
It was really those cam specs that caught my eye. Look at all that freakin exhaust duration!!!! Probably not a cam that you'll find in a production motor, but when you look at the intake duration relative to the exhaust duration, it's very tempting to think that cam was designed to take advantage of 3 valve heads. If nothing else, it's interesting to think about.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z06Cam
I think you're right on about VVT, but the technology isn't there yet, is it?

As for OHC technology, it's been around almost as long as pushrod technology. OHC motors are generally heavier and less efficient (specifically when it comes to fuel economy). I could go on, but I believe that arguement has already been beaten to death.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....2&postcount=24

3-valve heads a gimmick? Seems like A LOT of effort that will do nothing but **** everyone off in the end when they don't deliver. GM's made some dumb mistakes IMO, but I give them more credit than THAT.
i think ohc motors were out before pushrods motors.

and to piggyback on the 3 valve heads from a good source there should be a aftermarket 4 valve head out with in the next few years. but i dont want to realese any info untill that product is actually tested

Last edited by rons 00z; 09-02-2004 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

It doesn't matter. They sucked until recently.
push rod motors or overhead cam motors? if you mean overhaed the lt-5 is a good canidate of it not sucking and well the pushrod motor is no slouch either.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:55 PM
PSM
TECH Fanatic

I think it is just a gimmick. I have saved a couple pictures of the "three-valve" heads. Pretty weak. Both of the intake valves are connected to a single pushrod. You end up with more valvetrain mass, maybe a little better flow (if the air doesn't have to dodge oddly-shaped intake ports), and probably valve float. It's a lame-*** way to put a spin on dying technology. Don't get me wrong, pushrod engines are awesome, and will still be around for a long time. But overhead cams and variable valve timing make for less moving parts, increased efficiency, and more power. I think GM is just stalling, and giving everyone some "eye-candy" while they (budget permitting) get ready to build a real V8. Or they could just be lining up to screw us like they did when they killed the F-body and made the lame-*** looking GTO. Weak GM...very weak.

Typical of GM they are releaseing their plans in steps. The 3valve head is step one. What the valve positioning has allowed for, is the ability to place the fuel injector in the head giving the motors direct injection(more power and more efficient ). GM also plans on using two camshafts, 1 for intake and 1 for exhaust. This will also allow them to mimic variable valve timing through a cam phaser that varies the intake cam. So when you add up all three steps you get: a direct injected 3 valved pushrod w/ variable valve timing. Course by the time GM actually puts all three steps together Ford will have its camless motors
Old 09-03-2004, 03:31 AM
TECH Junkie

If something is better then the other the weaker one dies. That why all cars use hydraulic brakes now instead of the mechanical friction type used on the original horseless carriages. If overhead cam was better then push rod, when GM spent millions design a new V8 it would have OHC. And let us not forget the nut less wonder that is the Ford 4.6. In its first incarnation it was much slower then the push rod 5.0 it replaced.
There are several advantage to multi valve heads, as well as disadvantages. Disadvantages are, cost and more precipitating mass. Causing parastetic loss. The advantages lager total valve size with less shrouding. (Ex. A single 2” valve vs. two 1” valves) and architecture. Allowing for placement of components that would not be possible on a two valve. There havent been any truly original designs on the automobile in fifty years just improvements on old ones

Originally Posted by PSM
Course by the time GM actually puts all three steps together Ford will have its camless motors

Old 09-03-2004, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet
If something is better then the other the weaker one dies. That why all cars use hydraulic brakes now instead of the mechanical friction type used on the original horseless carriages. If overhead cam was better then push rod, when GM spent millions design a new V8 it would have OHC.

gm spent millions on the lt-5 which is a dohc v-8 dont know why they didnt keep production but they had it and it's alot better motor than the ls-1 it's all about r&d those exotic european cars have ohc set ups and alot of them are fast as **** and run well at the same time.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rons 00z
gm spent millions on the lt-5 which is a dohc v-8 dont know why they didnt keep production but they had it and it's alot better motor than the ls-1 it's all about r&d those exotic european cars have ohc set ups and alot of them are fast as **** and run well at the same time.
As cool as the LT5 was, as I remember it was pretty inconsistant in power output, expensive to produce, and difficult to work on.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rons 00z
But alot of those exotic cars dont have anything down low, most of them rev very high. I would think the LS1 has got them on lower-end torque
Old 09-03-2004, 11:41 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My biggest ocncern with eh 3 valve head is that the entire thing looks fragile to me for racing purposes, that 2nd pushrod for the exhaust valve is a little scary, and the lifter for the 2 intake valves is gonna have to be really beefy to take the abuse of high rate springs, which makes for a heavier valvetrain. I thought that heavy valvetrain was the one downside of a pushrod motor, it looks like they are making the entire valvetrain even heavier than normal Has anyone else thought about this?
Old 09-03-2004, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
My biggest ocncern with eh 3 valve head is that the entire thing looks fragile to me for racing purposes, that 2nd pushrod for the exhaust valve is a little scary, and the lifter for the 2 intake valves is gonna have to be really beefy to take the abuse of high rate springs, which makes for a heavier valvetrain. I thought that heavy valvetrain was the one downside of a pushrod motor, it looks like they are making the entire valvetrain even heavier than normal Has anyone else thought about this?
The thought has crossed my mind. That setup looks like it'll need some tough lifters and hardened pushrods.

I would assume that the effects of having a heavier valvetrain are more than adequately compensated for by the additional airflow and more efficient combustion.

Quick Reply: 3 valve heads- advantages and disadvantages