Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Carb & Dist or FI & Coil Packs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by technical
Well, you're going to spend quite a bit on internals that you won't want to change later just to get the compression down a bit to run a turbo/blower.

You're going to have a hard time building a motor or car that performs great on the strip and auto-X and still be a daily driver. You'll have to settle for something. I'd go the auto-X route since the main differentiating components from road car to street car are suspension and tires which do not affect gas mileage and emmissions too much. This way you can build a neck bender that goes fast, but remains very streetable. eg. Adjustable coil overs. Don't try to build the biggest monster of an engine that will kill you on a road course or auto-X.

As for the engine itself, the sleeves are the bore and they're only good for ~.010 hogging. Otherwise the block has to be resleeved for larger bores (sleeves). The largest LS1 I think is ~430-440ci.

You need to focus on the car a bit as well. Strengthen the chassis and rearend.
Ha-ha! Neck bender... All sound advice. The chassis is designed for 1,000 bhp. 335-30/18 on the back with adjustable coil-overs. The trans/diff can handle high torque due to the total weight being only 2,300 wet, with driver. I am confident of those components holding up. Traction breaks loose before the diff snaps.

I am not too concerned about the strip times. The real purpose for the car is road courses (and canyon carving). The gearing puts top speed in first gear around 45 mph, so it's not going to hook and launch real hard. I like the quarter mile, but the acceleration I want will be strongest between 60 and 180 mph, which will be second through fifth gears (6-speed trans). Top speed is geared for 220 at 7650 rpm in 6th gear. However, I know a guy with an LS1 in his (same) car and I think he is turning 10.8x at 133 mph with about 425-450 rwhp.

I see what you mean about the engine. Agreed. Need the power, but not out of control. When cornering at 100+ mph, I don't want to have a power surge that causes a spin. Thank you for the comments. I will be aiming for something more suitable for the track.

Quick Reply: Carb & Dist or FI & Coil Packs