Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

What's the Real Deal with Sleeved Blocks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JOHN LAWSON
I use Shell 94 Octane. Cartek done all of the tuning on a factory PCM. 530 rwhp, 511 rwt. Its a real blast on the street. Thanks John.
Dang!!! That's right where I want to be. Except, we have this 91 octane crap for gas out here.

Does anyone use those cans of octane boost from the local parts store? I have seen that stuff on the shelf and wondered if it works. I may have to go with a slightly higher compression than 91 octane will allow. Is anyone running 91 at 11:1 C/R?

I am told that, on a solid roller, adjusting lash can be used to adjust valve events by as much as 8 degrees depending on cam and rockers. That could change the C/R a little, yes? Is it possible to have one lash setting for the track and high-octane (unavailable) fuel, then re-lash for the street and 91 octane? Sounds like a lot of work, but, if that's a workable deal...
Old 05-11-2005, 01:37 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

also builder, im running 12.02 SCR and 8.45 DCR in my forged 346 w/ 91. took all the precautions to ward off detonation.

you can also run some torco or throw some 100 unleaded in the mix.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JOHN LAWSON
I have a Cartek prepared Darton wet sleve 427, that is about 2 years old. That thing will run 10.30s on the strip all day long, and I can drive it any where. Ive had no problems with it what so ever. Thank John.
John , Long time no talk , how's it going ? Glad to hear your Cartek beast is still running strong .
Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=9-SEC NA C5]John , Long time no talk , how's it going ? Glad to hear your Cartek beast is still running strong .[/QUOTE Hey Mike, good to hear from ya. Bonnie and I have been building a new house and finally got to move in about 2 weeks ago. Maybe now I can get busy on that SS. I am going to build a monster big cube wet sleve for it. I hope to have it going before the end of this season. See Ya John.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrp
also builder, im running 12.02 SCR and 8.45 DCR in my forged 346 w/ 91. took all the precautions to ward off detonation.

you can also run some torco or throw some 100 unleaded in the mix.
That's excellent. From what I have read, the DCR is the most important number. And the 8.45 is perfect for 91. Okay, maybe a little high.

What steps have you taken to ward off detonation and do you run Torco?

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jrp
all you need to know about sleved blocks

Steve Demirjian President

Race Engine Development

Oceanside, Ca.

760-630-0450

race-engine-development@***.net
Steve and I had a nice conversation about Darton sleeves and the LSx series. Turns out Darton hasn't had any problems with any LSx blocks (coming out of their shop) for about 18 months! That's excellent in my book. If that's the case, I have no reservations about moving in that direction.

Steve suggested that a solid roller would require attention to the lash and other clearances. Lash should be set based on the block warmed up because the LS1/6 expands about 0.012 when warm. So, the lash (cold) should be set accordingly. It was also suggested that an engine heater might be appropriate, since the clearances are tight and it gets pretty cold at night. (He's right...it snowed here yesterday and was in the 20s last night) Even in the summer, a 90 degree day can have a 40 degree night.

I don't believe the sleeve issues exist anymore. Starting a new thread in my head: LS2 or LS7.

Quick Reply: What's the Real Deal with Sleeved Blocks?