Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Blue devil lives !

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005 | 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

o thank u god!!! not that i coudl afford it but damn thats one sweet ride.
Old 07-01-2005 | 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
Yup, and you definately will still have your stock ride, stock handling, stock idle, right? Wrong. I'm also sure that upgrading everything on the C6 would toss that warranty out the window, along with your emissions compliance. I personally think it is significantly better to have a car that is 600rwhp+ right off the factory floor, then it would be to have a 600rwhp car that is 15g's cheaper, but has none of those things.

I was saying that for 100k it would be equal to, or better, than the $200k+ supercars, which makes it a pretty good value in my book.
That's understandable, but you are missing the big picture...

Maybe the best way to compare should be based on how the car rolls off the factory line. But, when there are so many folks modifying cars, you've got to know that there are lots of modified cars in every category...including "supercars". My GM extended warranty was seven years, or 100,000 miles. Well, I ran up 100k miles in four years, but I can tell you that I had many mods before the warranty expired. The guy that buys the Blue Devil "Serial #2" will probably mod it. So, how do you really judge which platform delivers the most value?

For some, the challenge of making a (super)car, for less money, that has a fresh can of wup-@$$ for "factory supercars" is too hard to resist. That's the cool part for me and what I consider to be "better". The little car I am building uses just about any "small" engine, but is designed for the SBC. I will use a built LSx (or cammed LS7 in the next 3-4 months).

Some folks think a stripped-down car means no CD-player. Well, my car will have a CD, A/C, navigation...an in-car PC, rear-view camera, traction control, parking sensors, and some other creature-comforts. And, it will probably have cup holders. But, no reclining, vibrating, air-conditioned seats with electric motors. No power windows or moon-roof. No luxurious headliner, or plush door panels with the popular array of "convenient" electric switches. No digital thermostat zone comfort-controls, yadda-yadda-yadda. Some folks are fine knowing they can cruise at 120 mph, or turn 14-second quarters, and have all that stuff.

For me, the car I am building will be better, because it will be quicker in a straight line, quicker around every corner, and quicker to stop than every car on the road (except the McLaren F1 [road car] for over $1M). With a #2200 weight, a modified LSx mounted mid-engine, a hardened transaxle, a body that's wind-tunnel tested to 220 mph, effective wing and splitter, huge ducted brakes, 335-30/18 rubber, racing suspension, etc., there isn't much competition (actually none, really) in the street-legal category. To me, that's "better"...even without a warranty.

So, it's different strokes for different folks. Some folks enjoy cruising in their warrented, semi-fast, Land Yachts (by comparison)...and some enjoy the experience of higher speeds, more lateral G-force, acceleration and decleration, for less $$$. The individual decides which is "better".

I have to say, tho, it always amazes me to talk to folks that have no desire to modify and go as fast as possible. I just don't understand, "It ain't how you drive, it's how you arrive".
Old 07-01-2005 | 01:19 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Haha, scott, I'm not sure if you've checked out my sig recently ... I have extensively modded basically every part of my car, and I am well aware of how to "mod" things.

I'm really not missing much of any picture. I never compared a 100k corvette to the car that you're building. I actually never really compared it to anything. I said it was a good value when you compare it against the performance of the other cars in that price range. I'm not really sure why you're getting so worked up about this? lol

Anyways, what's your estimated total cost of this project car of yours .... with paint, assembly, etc.??
Old 07-01-2005 | 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

sweet, hope they come through with something cool for once....
Old 07-01-2005 | 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Builder
That's understandable, but you are missing the big picture...

Maybe the best way to compare should be based on how the car rolls off the factory line. But, when there are so many folks modifying cars, you've got to know that there are lots of modified cars in every category...including "supercars". My GM extended warranty was seven years, or 100,000 miles. Well, I ran up 100k miles in four years, but I can tell you that I had many mods before the warranty expired. The guy that buys the Blue Devil "Serial #2" will probably mod it. So, how do you really judge which platform delivers the most value?

For some, the challenge of making a (super)car, for less money, that has a fresh can of wup-@$$ for "factory supercars" is too hard to resist. That's the cool part for me and what I consider to be "better". The little car I am building uses just about any "small" engine, but is designed for the SBC. I will use a built LSx (or cammed LS7 in the next 3-4 months).

Some folks think a stripped-down car means no CD-player. Well, my car will have a CD, A/C, navigation...an in-car PC, rear-view camera, traction control, parking sensors, and some other creature-comforts. And, it will probably have cup holders. But, no reclining, vibrating, air-conditioned seats with electric motors. No power windows or moon-roof. No luxurious headliner, or plush door panels with the popular array of "convenient" electric switches. No digital thermostat zone comfort-controls, yadda-yadda-yadda. Some folks are fine knowing they can cruise at 120 mph, or turn 14-second quarters, and have all that stuff.

For me, the car I am building will be better, because it will be quicker in a straight line, quicker around every corner, and quicker to stop than every car on the road (except the McLaren F1 [road car] for over $1M). With a #2200 weight, a modified LSx mounted mid-engine, a hardened transaxle, a body that's wind-tunnel tested to 220 mph, effective wing and splitter, huge ducted brakes, 335-30/18 rubber, racing suspension, etc., there isn't much competition (actually none, really) in the street-legal category. To me, that's "better"...even without a warranty.

So, it's different strokes for different folks. Some folks enjoy cruising in their warrented, semi-fast, Land Yachts (by comparison)...and some enjoy the experience of higher speeds, more lateral G-force, acceleration and decleration, for less $$$. The individual decides which is "better".

I have to say, tho, it always amazes me to talk to folks that have no desire to modify and go as fast as possible. I just don't understand, "It ain't how you drive, it's how you arrive".
Thats great, where did that come from and who cares?
Old 07-01-2005 | 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Haha, scott, I'm not sure if you've checked out my sig recently ... I have extensively modded basically every part of my car, and I am well aware of how to "mod" things.

I'm really not missing much of any picture. I never compared a 100k corvette to the car that you're building. I actually never really compared it to anything. I said it was a good value when you compare it against the performance of the other cars in that price range. I'm not really sure why you're getting so worked up about this? lol

Anyways, what's your estimated total cost of this project car of yours .... with paint, assembly, etc.??
Oh... Ha-ha! Not worked up. Yes, I saw your mods. Nice setup. It's a long weekend and I started drinking early. I had some time to spew this morning and just thought I would toss my opinion out there. I think 02SOMWS6 has the right idea because he is looking for a way to get dominating performance without having to buy a new car. I guess my point is, if you are the type of guy that likes to make performance mods, you will probably do so to just about any car you own...even if there's a questionable effect on a warranty. I listed my "kit" as an example of the extreme...a descent car, but no dealer to take the car to for warranty work...not compared, just example. Didn't mean to come across as worked up.

Geezzz, I don't even know how much I will have in it when done...just getting started with the build. A guy could build it for $65k. It seems I have been saving forever for this and I don't want to have something uncomfortable when I am done, so mine will be somewhere between $85-90k with all of the performance creature features I am putting in. My spreadsheet says $83k, but you know how that goes.

Happy 4th y'all!
Old 07-01-2005 | 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

they should bring back the stingray name for this
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:00 PM

....Geezzz, I don't even know how much I will have in it when done...just getting started with the build. A guy could build it for $65k. It seems I have been saving forever for this and I don't want to have something uncomfortable when I am done, so mine will be somewhere between $85-90k with all of the performance creature features I am putting in. My spreadsheet says $83k, but you know how that goes.

Happy 4th y'all!
Haha, yup, I know exactly how that goes. It seems all projects always take 20% more than originally expected once you're done with all the random crap that is not exactly included.

Again though, you're giving me a good example of what I was saying originally. One one hand you have your build car, which will run close to 90k probably when you're all done ... ~550ish rwhp, 2200lbs, 1980's creature comforts, no warranty, nowhere to bring the car when it breaks, and from what I hear kit cars drag a pretty high insurance tag.... vs, a 600+rwhp 2900lb factory made car with much more potential in it via a pully swap/pcm upgrade, every possible driver comfort, and some badass suspension ... I really think these 2 cars will be comparable ... except for the fact that when the Z06 breaks, he gets it fixed for free, and when yours breaks, it comes out of your pocket.

I personally also love the build a car idea, but as I get older I am coming out of the "do everything myself" mindset, into the "pay someone else to do it for me" type of deal.
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:28 PM
NKAWTG...N

Okay first off, I think everyone is on crack if you think the car is gonna weigh 2900 lbs. They are adding a supercharger...thats heavy! And where else do you think they can shave more weight off? Trust me, I'm sure they did pretty much all the weight shavings with the regular Z06. The car will probably weigh around the standard Z06 or a little more.

And I dont think it should be called a SS, Grand Sport would be more suitable than Super Sport.
Old 07-01-2005 | 05:59 PM
TECH Regular

I think GM is planning on using the SS badgeing the same way that ford uses SVT and dodge uses RT or SRT. I think the idea is to have it signify a whole group of special vehicles. As for them cuting the weight of the Vette to 2900 lbs, well there are always ways to save on weight. They could use ceramic rotors, they could go back to the old ZO6 notchback design(hatchback added 22 pounds), they might be able to use a different kind of glass or different glass thickness, I could be wrong, but i believe there are still several body panels that can go to carbon fiber, get rid of the run-flat tires, looks like wheels are chrome change them to polished aluminum, and im sure there are still a multitude of other ways they could cut down weight on the vehicle.Ofcourse i doubt they would change back to the notchback because of the reduction in aerodynamics would make 200mph a hard goal to hit.
Old 07-01-2005 | 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by John B
You're right! As I mentioned in a post several months back...expect this to be the "SS"
I have heard it was not going to be badged SS...THink about it, what was the other blue late model race bred vette....It does have one S in it....EDIT, it is mentioned above.

Assuming the compression ratio is the same, 600 hp should be had by running only 3 lbs of boost, now i don't know about you, but if i'm putting on a blower on any car, it will be getting more than 3 lbs of boost, i say stock it should be getting 5 lbs and hp should be at least in the high 600 range.
I have heard it did not have the same displacement of the LS7 (less). I expect that they used a stock stroke (3.62) crank in a LS7 block to help cope with cylinder pressures generated by FI. I think someone posted a GM engine platform build sheet a few years back that had a 6.3 or 6.4L motor on it. If I were building a motor right now it would have stock LS2 crank/rods, stock LS7 block and forged pistons.

Last edited by niphilli; 07-01-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-02-2005 | 06:59 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

SICK
Old 07-03-2005 | 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Haha, yup, I know exactly how that goes. It seems all projects always take 20% more than originally expected once you're done with all the random crap that is not exactly included.

Again though, you're giving me a good example of what I was saying originally. One one hand you have your build car, which will run close to 90k probably when you're all done ... ~550ish rwhp, 2200lbs, 1980's creature comforts, no warranty, nowhere to bring the car when it breaks, and from what I hear kit cars drag a pretty high insurance tag.... vs, a 600+rwhp 2900lb factory made car with much more potential in it via a pully swap/pcm upgrade, every possible driver comfort, and some badass suspension ... I really think these 2 cars will be comparable ... except for the fact that when the Z06 breaks, he gets it fixed for free, and when yours breaks, it comes out of your pocket.

I personally also love the build a car idea, but as I get older I am coming out of the "do everything myself" mindset, into the "pay someone else to do it for me" type of deal.
Yeah, right. 20%...and that's after you already added 20%! Hey, the build/buy decision only you can make. I enjoy the learning process and craftsmanship.

Hmmm, I disagree the creature-comforts I am planning can be considered 1980's...with an in-car PC, GPS navigation, DVD player, rear-view camera, parking sensors, some PC engine instrumentation, one-touch-flip-flop engine programming, data acquisition and HUD (if I can make it work). But, for some (me), that stuff is secondary in a car that is designed to dominate. I was in the computer industry for 20-some years, so I find it easy to integrate that 20 lbs. of stuff. For me, the real fun is the G-force and wupping supercar butt, and the majority or road-course track cars too. Something like a Stohr or Cheetah is a different story.

The goal of my project is to outperform street-legal "supercars" (Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, GT-40, etc.) with something I built myself (and probably for less money). With a 2.7 second 0-60, a 5.8 second 0-100, G-force approaching 1.2 on the skidpad and stopping from 100-0 in 4.0 seconds, it does that quite handliy. Since the car is using a built-up LSx and has a power-to-weight ratio CONSIDERABLY better than anything GM has on the drawaing board, you are not debating the outcome of a head-to-head performance test (with an unavailable product) are you? If any factory car comes out with better numbers and I need to loose the cup holders, so be it.

Bottom line...money equals speed. Do it yourself and you can save a little...sometimes a lot. Sometimes you screw up and it can cost more.

Don't get me wrong. The warranty thing is nice. However, I would say that my experience with warranty "repairs" hasn't been that great. And, sometimes it's those creature-comforts that go haywire.

Anyway, I agree that the Blue Devil would be an awesome ride and hope they release it! It should wup some serious butt. Too bad, you know they will throttle-plate it in sanctioned races.
Old 07-03-2005 | 03:47 PM

......Bottom line...money equals speed. Do it yourself and you can save a little...sometimes a lot. Sometimes you screw up and it can cost more.

Don't get me wrong. The warranty thing is nice. However, I would say that my experience with warranty "repairs" hasn't been that great. And, sometimes it's those creature-comforts that go haywire.

Anyway, I agree that the Blue Devil would be an awesome ride and hope they release it! It should wup some serious butt. Too bad, you know they will throttle-plate it in sanctioned races.

Haha, yeah I know what you're saying, and I agree with you 100%. If I had the time to put into it, I would LOVE to build something like what you are doing. As I was saying, maybe when I get older, settle down, get that nice 3 car garage w/ lift, etc ... and have some money to spare, I would definately love to take on a car project like yours, and just take my time and do it right.

Anyways, the car sounds mean, definately let us all know how it turns out, and toss us some pictures.

Old 07-05-2005 | 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

DAMN !!!! that thing gonna change everything on planet

peace
Old 07-07-2005 | 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think they should call it a 'Grand Sport' in stead of an 'SS'.
Old 07-20-2005 | 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

More text and pictures...

Quick Reply: Blue devil lives !