Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natronathon
i had oil consumption problems until i switched to Mobil 1 0W-40, now i loose maybe 1 quart every 3500-5000mi.

But, i only put in 5.5, and i am damn close to filling a 1.5 gallon bucket when i empty it, so maybe i am losing even less, and that was on a 6k interval. Who knows... Just get her over 10k mi and try running a synthetic, that will probably lessen the problem significantly
The LS2 comes with Mobil1 5w30 from the factory. I was considering switching to a thicker oil, but I'm gonna wait out this oil consumption test and see what it's using over the next month/1k miles.

I wanted to take pictures of my bumper, but they washed off all the crap before I got it back. The tech was saying pure oil would not get past the cats, and that it was probably carbon from running too rich (still a problem as far as I'm concerned). This may be true, but I'm still losing oil. We'll see how it goes....

Thanks for the input.
Rich
Old 07-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

I disagree that oil consumption for any LSX engine is normal.

I change my oil every 2000 miles in my vehicles.

1997 C5 - No oil consumption
1999 TA - No oil consumption
1996 Eldorado - About 3/4 quart.

I use a synthetic blend (various brands) 10W-30
All vehicles flogged on a consistent basis while driving.
Old 07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 87,000 miles on my 2000 Z28 and it never has used any oil between changes...it sees the red line often...I bought it to drive it..I can't drive a dull car..no use having a fast one if you don't put your foot in it..got to drive it like ya stole it from time to time..been using Mobil 1 5-30 winter and 0-40 summer its whole life..my girl friend has a 99 TA and hers has piston slap when its cold but it uses no oil either..guess it luck of the draw..
Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by highgear
GM insists on using very Low Tension Oil Rings on the LS series motors in order to milk every last bit of power out of them. Motors that have been rebuilt using Standard Tension Oil Rings hardly ever use any oil. Of course the Dealers will tell you that it is normal for the LS engines to burn oil because that is the way they were built.
One extra thing on that, low tension rings are the norm on race engines, and its' becoming quite common in alot of production cars. The LS1 has alot of trickle down technology from race engines. This is one detail specifically. GM's dealership base will do or say anything to screw ya'. I look for that to change in the future when this company gets overhauled. They need it to.

On needing a thick heavy oil, not exactly. Because I've been using a pure synthetic oil in 0w-5 since I bought my car new. My car does not burn a drop. You really don't need a thick heavy oil with the low tension rings these engines come with. It's self defeating in all kinds of ways.

Last edited by sawedoff; 07-19-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Did anyone keep a copy of the old GM Service Bulletin that describes the oil comsumption problem in LS1 engines? Copies are on this board somewhere.

In the extreme case, they tell GM technitions to rip open the engine and replace the top two piston rings. The replacement rings are of a deferent design and composition. The third ring is not changed, however, and there are specific instructions NOT to scuff up, hone, polish or otherwise mess with the pistons or cylnder walls.

I'm not an engineer, but this would seem to suggest that the third oil ring is NOT the problem; right?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually the first fix that GM wanted a tech to do is the change of the PVC system and then run it that way..if that didn't stop the excess oil consumption then they did the replacment rings. If my memory serves me..it was a new oil ring and second ring and the top ring stayed..the 2001 Z06's were known for excess oil use...
Old 07-20-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeh, OK that sounds good. I also remember some GM bull about telling owners not to rev the motor high when there is little load on the engine. Apparently, this casues the PVC system to suck which in turn casues oil consumption.
Old 08-03-2005, 03:57 AM
Staging Lane

402 stroker with afr heads stage 3 using about 1 quart every 1000 miles is this normal
Old 04-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Teching In

i'h having the same issue just worse..

06 GTO 6m Impulse blue on 18's.
bought in Seattle WA and relocated to HI where i'm stationed. now i've drove total of 1300 before i heard ticking. brought the car to the dealer and was told my warranty was void due to low oil..... they told me they drained about a qrt when they did the oil change. WTF. 6 qts in 2.5 weeks? my warranty is voided and under investagation cause.. well thats BS to me. i was told not to worry about anything till about 1500 where i'd take it to the dealer and get it changed. now i have a 35k car sitting in my parking lot being laughed at by the many many mustang drivers... needless to say i'm not happy at all and would like some guidence on how to address this situation... c'mon now almost 7 qts in 2.5 weeks... and next to never about 4500 rpms. all highway driving...
Seattle WA- Portland OR- Salem OR-Portland OR- Seattle WA. then on a boat to here... that was all highway driving. and rarely did i speed. is it just me or is the craftmanship and quality gone to crap. please let me know your thoughts on this. i'm at a loss as what to do. is this acceptable or am i over reacting?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:52 AM
On The Tree

The GM oil consumption guideline was 2000 miles per quart unless it has changed since 2002. Been there, done that. Although, new engine without LOUD tapping and high oil consumption = happy Camaro owner in my case, the trust is gone. It was a very frustrating and time consuming battle. Hang in there and they'll probably fix it. They do make good engines and the LSX's that do not have manufacturing issues are a prime example, but they also need to get the lemons dealt with in a much more timely fashion and NEVER use the word NORMAL when addressing this issue. Also, they MUST put this issue to bed permanently. We want a new Camaro when it becomes available. However, seeing that this particular issue is still alive causes severe second thoughts. New car ownership is too expensive to include "luck of the draw". Pride in ownership is a must for repeat business.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:36 PM
TECH Regular

My 05 Vette used oil. I took it in and they said it because I drive it too hard. I told them its a damn Vette and I will drive the damn thing as hard as I want and they will address the consumption issue. They began checking the oil at intervals and watching the consumption which was a pain in the *** for me. I just asked them to do a compression test and a leakdown but the mysterious guidlines said they had to do this first. I took the car to the track and beat the ever loving **** out of it. Oil consumption stopped. I'm not going to pretend that I know why but it did. Car had 6k miles on it when it stopped. Since then the service manager has told me of several other LS2s with the same issue.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think oil consumption come from the owner of the car. My reason saying this I bought my 02 Z brand spanking new it had 7 miles on it My first oil change was at 800 miles I did not once drive the car hard the whole time and during the whole period I let the car warm up to operating temp 210 read full on the dip stick. Now using castrol gtx 10w40 dino weight Drove from Ga to Tx with some 160mph runs but avrage 75 change the oil at 1700 miles she burned 1/2 quarts. So I really base the consumption on the owner, Critical matters on a motor is operating temp, driving style maitnece, For a solid month I let my car warm up and did not beat on it and burned no oil thats just my thoughts

And Dyno her At LG she made 345/350 with a lid and slowmaster 80!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Sorry, but this is a well documented birth defect. GM issued a TSB on it themselves and performed many engine swaps and ring and or piston swaps. I've got a GREAT LS1 now thanks to a diligent Service Mgr.

Quick Reply: LS2 Oil Consumption