Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

slp LS2stroker with afr heads from total engine airflow

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp LS2stroker with afr heads from total engine airflow

i have been breaking my car in ,it now has about 600 miles and i have changed oil 4times so far using pennzoil and k@n filters.my car feels strong but i'm still babying it due to everything being new including a strange rear end.

Is it normal to be using about 1/2 quart of oil each 200miles?and it keeps throwing an engine code p0106 barometric pressure,i have the T-REX CAM and stage 3 afr heads from TEA.It's also smoking some when its cold and first started,pcm for less done my programming,the car runs great after it is allowed to get up to temp,do i need to change oils to synthetic?? or is something major wrong?????
Old 08-03-2005, 07:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like there were similar problems posted here from an SLP Shoft block....Try a search and contact the other owner that had problems.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Old 08-14-2005, 01:14 PM
11 Second Club

Doesnt sound good to me, might want to stop driving it until you find out the problem!! Just my opinion.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

synthetic would be worse imo
Old 08-14-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

see this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=p0106
Old 08-14-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Regular

It sounds like the rings arent seating very fast. It is usual for some motors to do that
Old 08-14-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bernard shortt
i have been breaking my car in ,it now has about 600 miles and i have changed oil 4times so far using pennzoil and k@n filters.my car feels strong but i'm still babying it due to everything being new including a strange rear end.

Is it normal to be using about 1/2 quart of oil each 200miles?and it keeps throwing an engine code p0106 barometric pressure,i have the T-REX CAM and stage 3 afr heads from TEA.It's also smoking some when its cold and first started,pcm for less done my programming,the car runs great after it is allowed to get up to temp,do i need to change oils to synthetic?? or is something major wrong?????
If it were me, I'd cut open the oil filter.Like said above, it sounds like the rings aren't seated yet. Let us know!!.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it your daily driver, then it shouldnt be burning oil. Does it smoke after long periods time of sitting or everytime you start it up? My truck did that and I changed the seals for the valves and it stopped. If its the same situation as mine, its doing that because the oil is coming down from the head into your cylinder/s. BTW you probably should run full synthetic in your motor. Thats just my two cents.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

The guy who had this problem last time had the wrong size pilot bushing installed and was leaking out of the back of the motor. Can you see any visual indications that there is a leak? Is there any sort of smoke? If so what color is it?

The barometric pressure fault looks to be your manifold not sealed all the way. Are you running an ls6 or a 90mm? This would also explain why you're losing so much oil. Did you upgrade your pcv system ?

Hopefully you can get to the bottom of this.

Nate
Old 08-14-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't use synthetic until about 1,500 miles. I was told to do oil changes at 100, 150, 500, 1,000, 1,500...than put synthetic in.

If its too rich the rings won't seat. Smoke might mean its too rich. When you get on it pretty good do you leave a trail of swirling smoke behind, at all? My first 436 stroker was too rich in the beginning and my rings were trashed the first month I had it. Needed to be torn down and re-done. Stop driving it now and figure out whats up. I wish I had done that when people told me to.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Sounds like on initial startup it was to rich with fuel, washing the oil off the cylinder walls and then glazing the cylinder walls making it impossible to seal. You might need a new hone and set of rings
Old 08-15-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GMPerf
Sounds like on initial startup it was to rich with fuel, washing the oil off the cylinder walls and then glazing the cylinder walls making it impossible to seal. You might need a new hone and set of rings
What he said..and I put synthetic in after 250 miles and dont use any oil at all....
Old 08-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Launching!

I personally think babying a new engine too much does much more harm than good. Note that combustion pressure is what pushes the rings into the cylinder wall. Too little combustion pressure will not bed the rings in properly. This article explains it all:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Old 08-17-2005, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Default slp 402 stroker

i took the car to moreperformance in nc and while on the dyno we had to put a c5 on the mass air flow ,the granatelli would not let the car tune it was lean rich,lean rich,and while on a run one of the plugs went down and all my plugs had to be replaced due to the engine running so rich,they called today and told me the car is ready now.hopefully the rings will seat ,,but really the car was only blowing black smoke out while on the accelerator and then some blue smoke when he let off at 6900 rpm while on the dyno
any more suggestions???
Old 08-17-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Veteran

but really the car was only blowing black smoke out while on the accelerator and then some blue smoke when he let off at 6900 rpm while on the dyno
any more suggestions???
Thats what mine did and the rings were SHOT after just 2-3 weeks of driving it rich and I was also driving it easy. The leakdown test by an independant person and by ARE showed 30-45% leakdown in all 8 holes from a leakdown test

Only left a trail of smoke when I hit the gas, thats the oil getting by the rings and blowing out with the burnt fuel.

After ARE rebuilt my motor from top to bottom under warranty (Thank you ARE), I got it back and ran the **** out of it from day one when I picked it up. Well, it had like 20 miles on it or something. I don't burn any more than 1/2 quart in 2,000 miles. That is considered very good for my long stroke or for any stroker engine. When I hit the gas I get a tiny puff and nothing else, but I think thats coming from my heads that may be leaking through the seals a little bit.

Hoep yours is fixed man.

Old 08-17-2005, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

Default slp 402 stroker

do u think it might be where my heads are ported at 330cc of flow by TEA,would thatmake it smoke some,,i haven't got to drive it or see if its still smoking after the new tune ,they told me it was real rich running,and they had to replace the plugs while on the dyno,,any suggestions,,are the rings gone ???
Old 08-18-2005, 01:15 AM
Launching!

600 miles is not a lot on a new motor at all. I would put it close to about a 1500 mile and give her time to break in. HPE built my engine, they told me not to baby it, but dont go crazy and let the block go threw all the rpm ranges. On first start up i primed the pump, but did not pull the fuse for the fuel..few cranks later she was running. Rings sealed up just fine, never had a problem. The first few hundred miles the motor felt slugish and slow, as i put on the miles on it started to pick up a lot of power and ran fine.
i would just put some miles on her and see how it goes ...just my .02
Old 08-18-2005, 10:04 AM
8 Sec Tuner

My TEA AFR's Smoke..
Old 08-18-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I was having a slight smoking problem with my 383 until i installed the catch can. I pull about 1 teaspoon of oil through the PCV (stock ls1 pcv system) per 100 miles. The catch can resolved my white smoke and KR problems.

Quick Reply: slp LS2stroker with afr heads from total engine airflow