Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Will LS2 oil pan fit on a LS6 Block

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Will LS2 oil pan fit on a LS6 Block

I understand that the oil pan is improved for the LS2. Will that pan fit on my LS6 block, is the oil filter area all the same on both blocks?? Anyone try this yet?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will fit on the engine, but K frame and engine placement compared to the LS2 may negate you putting it on.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Confirmed. I think you'll find the mating surfaces and bolt pattern is the same for LS1,LS2,LS6.

Here are pics of the LS2 oil pan I removed from a LS2 Corvette crate motor.
I then fitted a "Holden Front Sump" LS1 oil pan to the LS2 so that it would clear the crossmember and steering rack in my car.

Old 08-20-2005, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool Beans, I just wanted to make sure that there would not be some internal engine problem with the plumbing around the filter.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:41 PM
Teching In

HSV-GTS-300,

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but your great pictures brought up a few questions:

1. Right where the oil filter attaches, on the side of the pan, there appears to be a cover held on with 2 bolts - is this a remote line attachment point?

2. In some of the pictures, is the silver tube the pickup tube? I assume that each oil pan has a specific pickup tube - right? Did your Holden front sump pan come with/or require it's own tube?

Thanks
Old 08-24-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I see the small cover you are talking about. I really don't know what it is for.

Yes the silver tube is the pickup tube. Blue thing on the end of it is an "O" ring.

If you change out an oil pan you will need as a matching set:
Oil pan + pickup tube + dipstick and dipstick tube + windage tray.(As per the last pic)

1) Select the new pan you need to clear the car crossmember position.
2) Use the correct pickup tube to suit this new pan. It is formed to suck from the optimum position in the sump. Always use a new "O" ring on the pickup tube.
3) Use a dipstick tube and dipstick to match the new pan. Oil volume may or may not have changed but the position it needs to be dipped will surely change. Also sometimes the diptube fits into the engine block (LS2) and other times into the side of the pan housing. If you need to change this its no big deal.....small alloy core plugs (about 5/16") will block the hole. Gently tap them in or out as needed.
4) The windage tray has a semi-circular notch cut out of its side lip, to allow the pickup tube to pass through it, on its route between the oil pump and the sump. The position of this notch will need to change to suit the oil pan chosen.

Quick Reply: Will LS2 oil pan fit on a LS6 Block