Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Update on LS7 Crate Motor PCM!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005 | 04:05 PM

Default Update on LS7 Crate Motor PCM!

I spoke with Nicky at SDPC yesterday and here's the latest as of yesterday.....

GM has told SDPC that 1 GM engineer is dedicated specifically to figure out how to make this interface with the crate motor. Of course when I asked "do we have a commitment from GM as to when" the answer was that all GM would say is that "things are progressing" .....so much for a firm commitment!

Nicky said that SDPC won't let this be the hold-up for these motors regardless. They are also working with an outside vendor who claims to have an MEFI 4 type controller for the motor which is programable!

When I asked about the accessory drive update it was the same story as the PCM so this still sounds like a wait and see although I will personally figure things out with shims and spacers if I have to for my motor.

Nicky said that all 100 crate motors are built and ready to ship!!! Only problem is no one is sure when GM will be releasing them for shipment.....hopefully it's soon since I see that the first Z06 car customers have received their cars as of yesterday so I personally think we're close

Nicky also stressed that after this allocation that the complete crate motors will be very, very scarce with no commitment from GM for the next build quantity for 2006 so those on someone's list for one of these babies....consider yourself with money in the bank
Old 09-23-2005 | 04:45 PM
Needs to finish car

That is very good news to hear that they've been built; hopefully they ship soon. My dad is on the list for one, and honestly, I can't wait to just look at the thing on the engine stand.

I'll be interested to see what GM does computer-wise, although I really think in my appilcation I'll need something that can be programmed a la HPTuners. I sure that an aftermarket computer can be made to work as well, so I'm not too worried. It sounds like to me that the only real rub in terms of a hot rod/retrofit situation is the crank reluctor. One thing we have going for us is that the new Tahoe will use the 58x along with a new PCM also, so at least it won't be isolated to the LS7.

We haven't even started on the car yet, so there's a long way to go before we even need to worry about it. I just want to be sure we have one of those 100.
Old 09-24-2005 | 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Chris442
I just want to be sure we have one of those 100.
me too LS7
Old 09-24-2005 | 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

We've got our deposit down for one of them.. Still waiting to find out more about the PCM info..

Old 09-24-2005 | 09:34 PM
FormerVendor

I hope my new ZO6 shows up with a motor in it before you guys get your crate motors!

How can they sell the motor without a means of controlling it?
Old 09-24-2005 | 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

That's what they're working on now..
Old 09-26-2005 | 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Default No problem, ECU/PCMs to run any LS2 or LS7

There are a lot of advanced resources (companies) already out there to do anything you want from an upgraded, stand alone OEM PCM and wiring harness including running the fly by wire equipped 90 MM throttle body on LS2 and LS7 motors, to custom, one off tuning in the engine test cell using a peak tuned MAP in a Delphi MEFI IV and harness.

Don't fret!!!
Old 09-26-2005 | 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS V8s in Miatas
There are a lot of advanced resources (companies) already out there to do anything you want from an upgraded, stand alone OEM PCM and wiring harness including running the fly by wire equipped 90 MM throttle body on LS2 and LS7 motors, to custom, one off tuning in the engine test cell using a peak tuned MAP in a Delphi MEFI IV and harness.

Don't fret!!!
And cost probably north of $5k for that solution?

Quick Reply: Update on LS7 Crate Motor PCM!