Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Z06 aftermarket / modding

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Z06 aftermarket / modding

I got into a discussion with somebody who seems to think that the new Z06 is, in his words, "tapped out for power". He says that there will be very little aftermarket for the car. I disagreed and said that the aftermarket will be healthy for the LS7.

Is the LS7 able to be bored / stroked, or is the block at it's limits, like this guy claims?

Here's a few more quotes from this guy:
"A new Z06 is a modded Z06. The car is basically tapped out for horsepower, unless you do small psi forced induction or forged internal/big boost"

"Can you bore out the block anymore??----NO! Can you replace the space age exhaust on the car for under $5000.----NO! Sure you could cam it, but have you actually read about how aggressive the cam already is?? So just like I said, there will be very few gains to be had for under $10-20K.--Very few Vette owners will spend that on a car they think is that collectible"

What do you all think/know about this? The guy drives an 03 Cobra, so I don't know how up to par he is with knowledge of GM performance.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well imo I think the new z06 would gain some hella numbers from a good cam swap and somelongtubes. The factory cam isnt that big at all, Its bigger than previous z06's cams by far but for a 427 its not that big at all.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM
11 Second Club

i believe they have a lot of potential when the right people get ahold of it
Old 09-26-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol that cobra guy is on crack...he has no idea what he is talking about.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SprayedLT1
I got into a discussion with somebody who seems to think that the new Z06 is, in his words, "tapped out for power". He says that there will be very little aftermarket for the car. I disagreed and said that the aftermarket will be healthy for the LS7.

Is the LS7 able to be bored / stroked, or is the block at it's limits, like this guy claims?

Here's a few more quotes from this guy:
"A new Z06 is a modded Z06. The car is basically tapped out for horsepower, unless you do small psi forced induction or forged internal/big boost"

"Can you bore out the block anymore??----NO! Can you replace the space age exhaust on the car for under $5000.----NO! Sure you could cam it, but have you actually read about how aggressive the cam already is?? So just like I said, there will be very few gains to be had for under $10-20K.--Very few Vette owners will spend that on a car they think is that collectible"

What do you all think/know about this? The guy drives an 03 Cobra, so I don't know how up to par he is with knowledge of GM performance.
I believe the pistons are still cast but as far as the rest of the rotating assembly goes, the rods are titanium and the crank is forged steel and ready for boost if you wanted too. Boring probably won't be an option but there are at least 3 higher stroke options I know of you could stuff in it...also, if you wanted to. A cam with the profile that the new Z06 has isn't that big for the motor that it's in. You could definitely go LOTS bigger on a cam. A set of longtube headers on this car would be amazing for power also. But to agree somehwat with your friend...you won't have quite the same gains for the upgrades you make as you'd be used to on gen III engines and LS2s. For instance, longtubes probably won't yield 25rwhp gains on it.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

The cam is plenty mild and 50 hp gains or going to be available easily. Headers and a cam (maybe some tuning) will put the car at 550 rwhp for sure...the engine has good compression already and with the large ports a small increase in cam duration will result in a big increase in airflow.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Your friend is a fucktard.

This car has already run 11.5 @ 127 bone stock by a magazine that everyone knows can't drive worth a **** and tests with a full tank in **** conditions all the time.

Can you imagine what it would run with CAI, cam, longtubes, gears and tires with a good driver?

Blow the ****** doors off pretty much any POS Cobra with a Whipple you can find on the street.

Tell him to learn common sense or shut the **** up.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

"Can you bore out the block anymore??----NO!
No, but no need! The bigger stroke motors use more oil...4.0 is about all that can be done without oiling issues. I'm sure others will disagree.

Can you replace the space age exhaust on the car for under $5000.----NO!
YES. Long tube headers.

Sure you could cam it, but have you actually read about how aggressive the cam already is??
That cam is far from aggressive. A 25x/25x will wake that puppy up.

All said, with LT's, a cam, a tune, and perhaps some small 'free mods', air box, etc...the car will do 550-600 rwhp.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime

This car has already run 11.5 @ 127 bone stock by a magazine that everyone knows can't drive worth a **** and tests with a full tank in **** conditions all the time.

Can you imagine what it would run with CAI, cam, longtubes, gears and tires with a good driver?

Blow the ****** doors off pretty much any POS Cobra with a Whipple you can find on the street.

Angry?
Old 09-26-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MaximusPrime

dido from me!!!! that vette + ***** = cabosed ---- mustang
Old 09-26-2005, 05:01 PM
12 Second Club

As already stated, a cam swap and LT's will make a ******* ridiculous gain on this car. I bet LT's, a cam, and tuning will yield about 100 HP at the wheels, or more.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Addict

The LS7 makes every car on the street seem small time. What's the point to life anymore?!
Old 09-26-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

All the above is correct your friend does not know **** and is in for a world of hurt when these things hit the street. A stock zo6 will rape his 03 even if he is running a pulley and full exhaust and tuning. Tell him he needs to loose some serious weight those 03's are way heavy about 600 lbs more than the vette.'s
Old 09-27-2005, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

Tell this guy to do some research on REAL 427s that aren't bottled up from the factory like the new Z06. The 427 in the Z06 is EXTREMELY mild and it was made that way to pass emissions, and also so they don't have as many claims on broken parts that GM would have to warranty.

It still pisses me off that dumbfucks like this are still out there running their mouths on **** they know nothing about. He doesn't deserve to drive an 03 Cobra - he should be driving an old Pinto because he's a disgrace to performance enthusiasts everywhere. It's obvious he's just another brand loyal Ford dumb **** who is scared he's going to get raped by a stock Corvette.

Just wait until Z06 owners start modding and see what happens. You're going to see a lot of guys at the track running 10s in Vettes that look stock. People at the track are going to go up to the Vette owner and say, "Whatcha got? Twin turbos? Nitrous?" and the Vette guy will say, "Oh just exhaust and tuning and some drag radials - I hadn't even THOUGHT of a power adder yet "
Old 09-27-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Fords Are Like Tampons Every Puss Has One!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info guys. So far, you are all backing my argument.

I do want to say, though, that this guy is not my friend. I signed up at an SVT board because I know a different guy with an 03 Cobra, and this guy is just another member there.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

Good to see you're not friends with an idiot.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, the guy I know with the 03 is a good guy. I met him at a local cruise night, and we raced later that night. He has an 03 with an Eaton ported by Steggmeier, pulleys, and more bolt ons, and a tune. He dynoed at 480/500 at the wheels.

He didn't hook very well, and I killed him with my 400rwhp car Best thing is that he was cool about it and didn't make up excuses, like most Mustang owners are good for. He just said that my junk was fast.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well you answered your own question, hes a "Cobra Owner". They will say absolutely anything just to make it seem that the next cobra will be better. I believe the 04 Z06 scratched the surface of what the real potential of the corvette is, now the 06 Z06 is what happens when GM just says "**** It".
Old 09-27-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the LS7 has cast pistons jerrettl? i dont think they do..........

just wondering

Charlie

Quick Reply: LS7 Z06 aftermarket / modding