Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

does the LS2 really suffer from heat soak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default does the LS2 really suffer from heat soak?

according to GMHTP, they say that the 05 GTO suffers badly from heat soak. is that true? if so, why? isnt the LS2 a aluminum 6.0, just a bigger cid LS1 with a 90mm intake/TB??
Old 10-19-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seadoo
according to GMHTP, they say that the 05 GTO suffers badly from heat soak. is that true? if so, why? isnt the LS2 a aluminum 6.0, just a bigger cid LS1 with a 90mm intake/TB??
no not really, it kinda is but in order to go bigger they had to sacrifice cooling space, the coolant system, is not as capable as the ls1, also there is something about the sleeves not being wet cast or wet pressed or something like that, and there being less space for cooling in between the cylinders, iam not sure how that works but its something like that on top of the ls2 cooling system being less capable.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for telling me that... I was going to swap a H/C LS1 for a LS2 block, but dont think I will now!
thanks for the input
Old 10-19-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by seadoo
thanks for telling me that... I was going to swap a H/C LS1 for a LS2 block, but dont think I will now!
thanks for the input
well the main problem with it i read somewhere a while ago was that the watter pump had somewhere around 30% less flow capasity than the ls1 watter pump. Now that doesnt mean that u shouldnt switch out, u'll make more power in the end. off curse the ls1 is tried and proven to handle abuse so its up to u, do some more research i been in the bullshit forum for way to long and dont remember my tech as much as i used so wait for a few more replies before u make ur dessision.

edit here is a thought:: if u where going to drop an ls2 in ur car why dont u just custom built an engine, it might end up being a little more maibe 1k more but u'll have something solid, that u can really build on. last time i checked the sponsors here had deals for like 2.9k for a short block and iam not talking about the nameless one that where selling short blocks for 2.5k, that ended up beign a scam iam talkign about the good legit sponsors.

Last edited by zamboxl; 10-19-2005 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

I thought the LS2 Gto had heat sink due to the engine covers (Frc's)? I was reading that if the covers are removed the heat soak isnt that bad.
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I thought the LS2 Gto had heat sink due to the engine covers (Frc's)? I was reading that if the covers are removed the heat soak isnt that bad.
well i read this a while back maibe 5 month back i think it was race or lingenfelter that open one of them up and really went to work on it and he posted all the info i talked about up there in much much greater detail iam pretty sure it was in ls7 ls2 internal section.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

The heat soak issue is more related to under hood temps and IAT sensor location. It is built into the MAF sensor, which is very close to the radiator. The computer pulls timing at a very low intake temp (forgot the exact number). A tune and/or IAT relocation can help this condition significantly if not eliminate it.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it has anything to do with the block itself. I would say it is more of a engine bay/water pump thing. Lots of guys around here use LS-2 blocks in there F-bodies and haven't had any trouble. I had no problem buying one myself.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by zamboxl
well the main problem with it i read somewhere a while ago was that the watter pump had somewhere around 30% less flow capasity than the ls1 watter pump. Now that doesnt mean that u shouldnt switch out, u'll make more power in the end. off curse the ls1 is tried and proven to handle abuse so its up to u, do some more research i been in the bullshit forum for way to long and dont remember my tech as much as i used so wait for a few more replies before u make ur dessision.

edit here is a thought:: if u where going to drop an ls2 in ur car why dont u just custom built an engine, it might end up being a little more maibe 1k more but u'll have something solid, that u can really build on. last time i checked the sponsors here had deals for like 2.9k for a short block and iam not talking about the nameless one that where selling short blocks for 2.5k, that ended up beign a scam iam talkign about the good legit sponsors.
2K with lingenfelter

Quick Reply: does the LS2 really suffer from heat soak?