Ls7 In A 2006 Ssr

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ls7 In A 2006 Ssr

I Am New To This Forum,
I Finally Got My Ls7 2 Weeks Ago,
My Original Plan Was To Put The Ls7 In My 05 Ssr.after Sema, I Decided To Sell My O5 And Step Into A 06 Ssr Hoping It Should Eliminate Some Problems From The 58 Tooth Gear.

Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions Or Info That May Help Me On This Project Before I Tear It Apart.

Thanks,
George
Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 PM
12 Second Club

get lots of beer
Old 11-16-2005, 02:39 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GEORGELS7SSR
I Am New To This Forum,
My Original Plan Was To Put The Ls7 In My 05 Ssr.after Sema, I Decided To Sell My O5 And Step Into A 06 Ssr Hoping It Should Eliminate Some Problems From The 58 Tooth Gear.

Does Anyone Have Any Suggestions Or Info That May Help Me On This Project Before I Tear It Apart.

Thanks,
George
What color is your SSR? Let us powdercoat some of our cast aluminum valvecovers with SSR insert for you. That would be sweet!
Old 11-16-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Regular

I Am New To This Forum,

Thanks,
George
George, take a look at the threads in this section of the forum and you will see info about the progress of LS7 installations. I have not started mine yet, but there are a few that have and are working out the issues.

It is hard to know if the '06 SSR PCM can work with the LS7. And, we don't have any software to edit an LS7 PCM yet. I am sure good folks are working on it, though. The '06 SSR has an LS2? LS2edit (software) is available and might be all you will need.

Another issue you need to research is the engine harness for the LS7...not available just yet, that I know of, for the LS2 PCM.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:36 PM
Teching In

Smile Ls7 In 06 Ssr

Thanks For The Tip On Ls2 Edit,
I Had My 06 Car On The Lift Last Night And All Wire Harness Connections are the same.
The 06 Ls2 Also Has A 58 Tooth Wheel On The Crank

Last edited by GEORGELS7SSR; 11-16-2005 at 07:36 PM. Reason: CORRECTION
Old 11-16-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Default What?!? It Fits?!?

I Had My 06 Car On The Lift Last Night And All Wire Harness Connections are the same.

The 06 Ls2 Also Has A 58 Tooth Wheel On The Crank
Yes, from what I have read, LS2 (from September '05 and newer) have the 58-tooth reluctor.

The LS2 harness compatibility is very interesting. Are you saying the new LS2 harness is identical to the LS7? Are you certain? All connectors fit; sensors, injectors, coils? If so, that solves a lot of issues...opens up the possibility to use the LS2 PCM with the LS7.

The LS7 sensors...are they the same as the new LS2? If not, that would be something to work out. Maybe LS2 sensors could be used in place of the LS7?

Standing by to see some clips of the LS7 running in the Monte, C5, or SSR!
Old 11-17-2005, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Question ls7 in 06 ssr

I rolled the LS7 on the crate next to and under my 06 for comparison, the connectors and sensors all look the same and in the same location, there is a slight variation of sensor location with the low profile intake, but they appear to be the same and it should not be a problem connecting to the harness?
As soon as my oil tank comes in I'm ready to tear apart.
I have my oil lines,headers,exhaust.
Sounds like this might be the 06 Ginnie pig?

at the sema show i talked to an engineer from gm,he told me that the swap into a 06 should not be a problem because they all used the same sensors for the the 58 tooth crank wheel,.i spent alot of time with him and we both felt this swap should work easier, but the engine management data for fine tuning would be the immediate problem.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're already one up on us with the headers We just ordered ours a few days ago. At this point in the project, it feels like all we're doing is ordering parts.. and more parts. The garage is filling up rather quickly
Old 11-17-2005, 11:52 AM
Needs to finish car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem with using the '06 LS2 PCM is that it is the same as the LS7 PCM. To my knowledge, GM has switched all the LS2 applications to the same e38 computer that is in the new Z06. Trucks will also be using the new computer at least as they phase in the new models. This is great if you have an '06 vehicle, as the LS7 drops in directly, however, until there is some sort of reprogramming solution it could be impossible to get the engie to run properly.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Default Ls7 In 06 Ssr

The Engine Management Will Definently Be The Immediate Problem,as Soon As I Pull The Ls2 Out I Want To See If The Intake Will Bolt To The Ls7.i May Try It First If It Bolts To The Heads.
I Am Able To Change Some Parimeters With My Tech 2 Software.

George
Old 11-21-2005, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

...at the sema show i talked to an engineer from gm,he told me that the swap into a 06 should not be a problem because they all used the same sensors for the the 58 tooth crank wheel,.i spent alot of time with him and we both felt this swap should work easier, but the engine management data for fine tuning would be the immediate problem.
... and did this engineer tell you if the SSR accessory drive would line up? Did he happen to say anything whether or not the LS7 crank snout is longer and that a custom balancer and/or accesory drive will be necessary for anything other than a C5/C6 acc drive? Inquiring minds would like to know

Bill
Old 11-21-2005, 08:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris442
The problem with using the '06 LS2 PCM is that it is the same as the LS7 PCM. To my knowledge, GM has switched all the LS2 applications to the same e38 computer that is in the new Z06. Trucks will also be using the new computer at least as they phase in the new models. This is great if you have an '06 vehicle, as the LS7 drops in directly, however, until there is some sort of reprogramming solution it could be impossible to get the engie to run properly.
that sounds like big news.
Old 11-21-2005, 08:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

As I Pull The Ls2 Out I Want To See If The Intake Will Bolt To The Ls7
Save yourself the trouble! The bolt pattern is different due to the 12° heads on the LS7 so doen't waste your time even taking the intake off of the LS2.
and did this engineer tell you if the SSR accessory drive would line up? Did he happen to say anything whether or not the LS7 crank snout is longer and that a custom balancer and/or accesory drive will be necessary for anything other than a C5/C6 acc drive?
Bill, I already verified in another post https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/409620-1st-measurements-comparing-ls7-accessory-drive-f-body.html that the C5 accessory drive appears to be a direct fit on the LS7!

As a side note, I checked on the price of an engine harness from an SSR just in case it might work and the price through SDPC was over $1100 so it would appear that places like Speartech will be a much better buy since John told me he is targeting an LS7 harness for under $1000.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

John, read your post... when it was posted...

We're not talking here about the LS7 specific balancer lining up with the C5 acc drive. Do you know if the SSR acc drive will line up with an LS7 balancer? What I was asking is if "anything other than" a C5/C6 accessory drive will line up. Have you yanked the LS7 balancer and tried to install a Truck, F-Body, or C5 balancer and see if balancer specific accessory drives line up? So, the C5 accessory drive APPEARS to line up. Thats what alot ATI S/C C5 guys thought when they were buying C5 kits from ATI and tells me that anything other than a C5/C6 accessory drive will not line up... UNLESS, the balancer is changed. With all due respect there are too many assumptions flying around right now. My worry is the LS7 crank snout is longer and apps other than C5/C6 may encounter a problem. Maybe I assume too much. Was just asking

Anybody with factual data that shows the LS7 crank is no different in length of the snout please shoot me an email...

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you know if the SSR acc drive will line up with an LS7 balancer?
Not by 1-1/2"!!! The LS7 balancer belt is out about 4" from the cylinder head and the SSR is out 5-1/2". No wonder GM is losing billions of dollars. There is no reason not to have common accessory drives for all LSx engines as far as I am concerned!

Bill, I haven't yanked my balancer off yet so it's possible that you could just change it.
Old 11-23-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Addict

John,
Confirmed a couple things from a trusted source over the last couple of days...

C5 accessory drive lines up... apparantly there is at least one C5 thats been running around with a prototype (24x reluctor wheel) LS7 for quite some time now.

The LS7 crank snout is longer. Few options here...

1) See if an aftermarket manu like ATI (not the Procharger company) will custom build a balancer for your application. If ATI does not already make your application specific balancer you may want to buy a new balancer (SSR in this case) and send it to ATI along with the LS7 balancer so they can build a custom balancer for you. This of course assuming ATI is willing to do the custom work...

2) Figure out a way to move the entire accessory drive back with custom brackets.

3) Convert to C5 accesory drive... if there is room for it...

4) Convert to wet sump (this option not proven yet)
a. Buy LS2 front cover.
b. Buy LS2 oil pump... not sure but may need to change lower sprocket too.
c. Reuse exisitng application oil pan and pickup... assuming there is a (main) stud available for securing the pickup... as the LS7 pickup is integrated into its dry sump pan.
d. Drive your existing application harmonic balancer back to seat on the sprocket.
e. Machine correct length spacer to slide over protruding crank snout and then
use a new crank bolt and torque / degree to spec.

Note that spacer goes in front of the balancer and behind the head of the bolt.

5) Change the crank and still convert to wet sump...

If I had my way...
ALL foreign auto manu's that import to the US would have to pay their offshore employee's UAW wages as well as pay the outrageous health care costs...

Bill
Old 11-27-2005, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Default 24 tooth reluctor in 06 ssr

i pulled the exhaust manifold and starter off my 06 ssr to remove the crank sensor,and sure enough our good friends at gm are not telling the truth about there e38 pcm's in all 06 vehicles.

2006 ssr with 10/05 build date has a 24 tooth reluctor on the crank not a 58 tooth that gm said ALL 06 ls2 have?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

2006 ssr with 10/05 build date has a 24 tooth reluctor on the crank not a 58 tooth that gm said ALL 06 ls2 have?
Imagine that! Wild guess... Is it possible they were referring only to the engine build date? Is your engine pre-Sept, '05?
Old 07-24-2006, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Default Ssr

After you finish this project (or even during) drop by SSRFanatic.com and post some pictures. We have some people who are very interested in what you are doing
Old 07-24-2006, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would check into hptuners first. they are way better.

Quick Reply: Ls7 In A 2006 Ssr