Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 build or wait for the 6.2L? (Blew my LS1, need new motor)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005 | 08:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Default LS2 build or wait for the 6.2L? (Blew my LS1, need new motor)

Long story short, blew my cam only LS1 motor going 10.30s naturally aspirated (loss of oil doing wheel stands), now I need a new motor and would like to build something nasty, but for a reasonable price. The motor is the last thing that I've yet to build/make race ready and now the rest of the car is ready for one. At this point, what would be the best thing to do? I have time to decide, so no need for a quick decision. I'd like to build something soon, but if there's something coming out in the near future worth waiting for, I don't mind. I posted this because I have so little time with work to research on what's the latest, greatest, and upcoming parts out there, and would like to get some opinions on what to do. I mentioned LS2 and 6.2L as I've noticed those are the 2 hottest tickets right now, but haven't really looked into it due to lack of time. Please shine the light for me and help me out. Thanks!

By the way, IF POSSIBLE, I'd like to use a set of ET Performance heads, reuse my Rollmaster double roller timing set, Thunder Racing ported/blueprinted oil pump, Patriot Dual spring kit, and FAST 90mm intake manifold. If not, no biggie. This will be going in my 2000 Camaro SS.
Old 11-30-2005 | 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

I'm in a similar boat. my iron 408 needs rebuilt and I've got till feb/march to decide what to do. I really want to upgrade to an LS2 based motor.

an LS2 can be bored to 4.030 from what I've heard, so I may stay with a 408 with my 4" crank. with the L92 I could gain about 10 cubic inches, which would net maybe 10-15rwhp, but that is also going to need custom pistons. a few $100 extra... on top of probably an extra 100 or so for the block.

I don't think you can go wrong either way... I think the only thing that will not work is the timing chain. you need an LS2 specific one. I may wait for the L92, just cause I like to be a little different...
Old 12-01-2005 | 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Default Did alotta homework

I did allota homework and the best LS2 deals I found were from Howard Performance in Gilbert, Arizona. I bought a new stock crate LS2 and also priced a custom built LS2 with ARP bolts throughout, cam & springs and other options and nobody even came close to his prices & personal attention.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 12-01-2005 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Removed non-sponsor contact info.