Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Some LS7 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 05:57 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some LS7 questions...

Is GM going to continue to offer the LS7 as a crate motor next year? If there will be demand for it I can't imagine GM not making them available.

Why wouldn't this engine bolt right into a 4th gen. Camaro?
Wouldn't it bolt right up to any GM OE trans. A4 or M6?
If it works out I'm going to talk to GMMG about putting one into my Dick Harrell camaro that they will start on next spring. I'm guessing if all that works out headers would be impossible to find unless regular LSx headers will fit the LS7.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Regular LS1/6 headers should bolt up to the LS7 heads, I haven't heard otherwise. However you would probably want some BIG primaries likes 1-7/8" or 2".
Old 12-02-2005, 11:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by grb
Is GM going to continue to offer the LS7 as a crate motor next year? If there will be demand for it I can't imagine GM not making them available.

If it works out I'm going to talk to GMMG about putting one into my Dick Harrell camaro that they will start on next spring. I'm guessing if all that works out headers would be impossible to find unless regular LSx headers will fit the LS7.
The bellhousing bolt pattern is the same.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by grb

dude gm already offers this as a crate motor. Just do a little research in the ls2 ls7 sections of this forum and it should answer all your questions. Search is your friend.

Nate
Old 12-03-2005, 09:35 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Dude - they are hard to find right now I'm and asking about next spring and a particular application and fitment.....reading and comprehension are better friends.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Call Gene at Fred Bean's in PA. He found me one in an hour. I don't know how many more he knows about, they are getting harder to find.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

If you are considering buying one... why not buy it when you know they are available? ... although I predict they will as, amongst other clues, GM did not market the LS7 crate motor as a limited time offer nor did they put a cap on volume. There are constraints in place but they currently do not suggest an end to the motor.
No one that I know has tried to fit an LS7, with its dry sump pan, in an F-Body k-member. Maybe you'll be the first(?)...
Yes, bellhousing bolt pattern is the same... but you'll need to yank the heavy duty pilot bearing currently installed and retro back to the needle bearing style mounted further back in the crank.
I would probably be looking at 1 7/8" headers if I were you. I haven't measured the exhaust ports but I did post pics of the LS7 specific exhaust gaskets that I think you'll find interesting...

... and you'll need to find somebody willing to make you a harmonic balancer that will allow you to utilize your F-Body accessory drive... this assuming you will keep dry sump...

Bill

Originally Posted by grb

Old 12-11-2005, 07:15 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

I'm just wondering what the availability will be in 6 months. GMMG won't even start on my car until then. Again, if the demand is there GM stockholders would want to know, and rightly so, why GM didn't make them available. After all, it's not like the Z06 will be a limited production vehicle in any way. So there is no reason why GM shouldn't sell them.

I might be better off to build another C5R. That's what I'm looking into now. C5R 427 or LS7 crate engine. Might be nice to have the only Dick Harrell with a LS7 in it.

Z28ryano - if you don't mind my asking what is a LS7 going for? I know to build a C5R right is $25K+ easy.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

They can be had, without electronics and such, for 14,511.90 on a popular parts site.

LS7 crate engine (P/N 17802397) includes:

intake manifold with injectors

fuel rails
throttle body
dry sump oil pan
exhaust manifolds
flywheel & clutch
harmonic dampener
water pump and pulley
coil packs
spark plugs and wires
engine sensors

LS7 crate engine does not include:
injector wiring harness
dry sump oil lines
dry sump tank
engine beauty cover
engine processor
air filter/air box
accessories or accessory drive
Old 12-18-2005, 04:40 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

So it looks like the LS7 could be set up wet or dry. Also, I wonder what kind of rocker arms it uses? Anybody swapped to a hotter cam yet?
Old 12-19-2005, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Paid right around 13K. I have seen a few on ebay in the 15K range. Rumor is that there are around 100 engines crated up this year. More to come next year.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:09 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by grb
So it looks like the LS7 could be set up wet or dry. Also, I wonder what kind of rocker arms it uses? Anybody swapped to a hotter cam yet?
The engine is designed for dry sump and I can't imagine it any other way. The oil pan, and pump are very different. We have done some development with camshafts and I can tell you that this engine has a lot of potential.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by grb

Rocker arms are investment cast roller trunnion 1.8:1 ratio with offset intake.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:38 PM
grb
TECH Fanatic

Katech - both being 427s is the potential for the LS7 more than the C5R and would that be due in part to the dry sump, heads...? I'd like to put a LS7 in the DH but not if it's impractical and not worth the hassle.
BTW - have you had much/any experience with the 090 C5R heads? I have heard them called C5R race heads. I just know the last three numbers of the parts number is 090.
Old 12-19-2005, 06:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by grb
Katech - both being 427s is the potential for the LS7 more than the C5R and would that be due in part to the dry sump, heads...? I'd like to put a LS7 in the DH but not if it's impractical and not worth the hassle.
BTW - have you had much/any experience with the 090 C5R heads? I have heard them called C5R race heads. I just know the last three numbers of the parts number is 090.

I would say if cost is a factor then the LS7 has more potential for a street car. You're talking 14k for a LS7 crate motor and if you built a C5R block with a dry sump you're looking at 22-35k depending on components used. The C5R block would be better for a small race team. I personally have not had any experience with the 090 heads because I work in the Street performance division of Katech, not with the Corvette race team. Most of our street builds we are doing now use CNC ported production cylinder heads (Katech heads).
Old 12-19-2005, 07:14 PM
TECH Junkie

LGM has experimented with cams in the LS7. in a Z06, they added 100rwhp with headers and a cam without any computer tuning at all. your biggest issue is computer for a crate LS7. the reductor wheel is different for the LS2/LS7, so your f-body computer won't work. it is possible to swap a gen 3 wheel in, and im sure GMMG could do it though.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:05 AM
grb
TECH Fanatic

I'll talk to Matt after the first of the year. He is not going to start on the car until March or April according to Berger. I just think a LS7 would be unique in a DH car and with the A4 we would want to keep the power within reason which will also make the car much more street-able than my ZL-1.

I have found out the hard way that 'too radical' and 'too much power' is no more fun than having too little. Once the ZL-1 makes a few passes this coming spring the SC is definitely coming off!

Quick Reply: Some LS7 questions...