Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS-2 in Disguise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by billreid1@***.net
I put 2 and 2 together, unlike you, and it was a PERFECT opportunity for 2 small businesses that support this forum to capitalize, perhaps, on members looking for big cube direction.

The burden is not mine... like you would like it to be. Certainly you would like the comsumer to have the burden... not forum vendors, correct?
Steve is something a tad more than a little business and a simple forum vendor. My question above applies to you as well. How do your credentials compare, or do you have any?
Old 02-03-2006, 09:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not gonna happen... wouldn't dare give a block to someone in the business to make GM's products look bad. Thanks for your nut hugging suggestion though.
pot. kettle. black.

Ya, so an idiot smokes his block and it MUST be repaired... I put 2 and 2 together, unlike you, and it was a PERFECT opportunity for 2 small businesses that support this forum to capitalize, perhaps, on members looking for big cube direction.
um ya, im sure a little jb weld and hone woud be fine. the sleeve was destroyed; i.e chunks missing and scarred to ****. of course it HAS to be replaced, unless the guy wants to buy a new block.

Nobody is under the illusion that GM created the holy grail... yet you are certainly trying to contribute to it. The burden is not mine... like you would like it to be. Certainly you would like the comsumer to have the burden... not forum vendors, correct?
the burden is on you, your pulling **** out of your *** while steve is bringing the facts and specifications.

I have copied and saved everything on this thread... it will keep everyone honest in the future...
good for you, maybe you'll learn to eat crow
Old 02-03-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not gonna happen... wouldn't dare give a block to someone in the business to make GM's products look bad. Thanks for your nut hugging suggestion though.

Ya, so an idiot smokes his block and it MUST be repaired... I put 2 and 2 together, unlike you, and it was a PERFECT opportunity for 2 small businesses that support this forum to capitalize, perhaps, on members looking for big cube direction.

Nobody is under the illusion that GM created the holy grail... yet you are certainly trying to contribute to it. The burden is not mine... like you would like it to be. Certainly you would like the comsumer to have the burden... not forum vendors, correct?

I have copied and saved everything on this thread... it will keep everyone honest in the future...

You made your self sound like a dumb *** who knows nothing of what he is talking about......
Old 02-03-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made a valid argument, at least in the beginning,... in my opinion... and more people are watching than any of us know. My hope is that folks don't walk away thinking that sleeving is their only option... based on biased opinions of a couple of vendors. May the proof show itself, either way, as the LS7 block matures. I'm up for that.

Bill
Old 02-03-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

I see where you are going with your argument, but honestly without any proof on your part its your word against pictures posted by a highly knowledgable and respected company who has an actual LS7 block sitting in front of them and has tons of experience with the ls2 block. Its not like they are pulling this info out of the air to try to convince ls7 owners to buy new sleeves from them. Its good info because although the LS7 block is well built its good for owners to know that if they decide to go FI that they should probably look into new sleeves.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know steve and i have never met him...but i will say that everything he is saying is right on the money...i have a 434 built by eric at H.P.E. he has been an engine builder and teacher for ever, that i know of, and is one of the best in the world...he teaches at S.A.M. school of automotive machinist...etc.etc..so when i did my motor i called up eric told him what i wanted, i said i wanted to use a c5r block ...he said save your money and buy a ls6 sleeved block from this guy i know out in california...well we did and i havent had any problems out of the block ..i beat the **** out of it ....and made 576rwhp and 510 rwtq..n/a/ and have plans to add a 150 shot on it ...this guy is the top dog when it comes to re sleeving any king of block from mild to wild...because i had the money to buy a c5r block and i didnt. and the block was sold to me at cost because it was a sponsor type deal....thanks..i belive all his so called b.s.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I see where you are going with your argument, but honestly without any proof on your part its your word against pictures posted by a highly knowledgable and respected company who has an actual LS7 block sitting in front of them and has tons of experience with the ls2 block. Its not like they are pulling this info out of the air to try to convince ls7 owners to buy new sleeves from them. Its good info because although the LS7 block is well built its good for owners to know that if they decide to go FI that they should probably look into new sleeves.
You bring up a good point... and I respect that. The LS7 is unproven. Should it be treated with skepticism? Certainly. It needs to earn its place in the market. Will the LS7 do well in N/A? We don't know yet. It should be given the chance... and I voice an opinion while a sleeve manu and his stuffer try to get a market advantage. Nothing wrong with trying to obtain and/or bolster a market. I just find it worth challenging when a couple of bare block pics show up without factual data to suggest the LS2 and LS7 are one and the same. I called them on it and was not answered until the fans showed up. Will the LS7 do well in FI? I'm about to find out... and hope to share with a croud eager to hear my opinion... and I would certainly share no matter what the outcome is. Unbiased... as in I have nothing to gain on the strenghs and/or weaknesses of the LS7 block. I would let anybody know if the block failed due to its integrity but I haven't had that opportunity to test it yet... and neither has anybody else. Throwing Nitrous at a new motor is misguided at the very least in my opinion. A suicide shot on eutectic pistons? He was asking for it.

Bill
Old 02-03-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

and i have also seen the ls7 motor make almost 600 rwhp with a stage 3 cam,17/8 kooks headers,tune,and electric w.p. and through stock exh....it made 7xx rwhp with a 150 shot ...this car runs strong and has had zero issues..
Old 02-03-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

soon........................so many options.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:25 PM
On The Tree

you guys are also forgeting that the MSRP on the z06 is $68k, its the Dealerships who are selling that vette for $80k, so gm is making money on the vette just not as much as we think they are.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Heres a link to a recent mag article....they list pressed in sleeves on the specs from the mouth of GM. It also states the LS7 has its own block casting, but I suppose that could mean just stamping an LS2 an LS7. Technically they would be different. lol

http://popularhotrodding.com/tech/0504phr_ls7/

Good Info!

Last edited by cantdrv65; 02-04-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 AM
Launching!

I don't know much but do know some tuners who have had problems with sleeved blocks and won't do a 427 unless it's a C5R block.
Old 02-04-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedpup
I don't know much but do know some tuners who have had problems with sleeved blocks and won't do a 427 unless it's a C5R block.
It is my understanding that many of these issues were more related to the sleeves being improperly installed by some builders.
Old 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlkHwk
It is my understanding that many of these issues were more related to the sleeves being improperly installed by some builders.
bingo. if i buy comp 921's and install them at the wrong height for my application and the spring breaks does that mean is comps fault and i should tell everyone to stay away from 921's.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

Bill,
While you have a valid observation regarding the conflict of interest with the thread starters, I think you might be over reacting slightly.

I have spoke with Steve several times and have come away VERY impressed with his knowledge and overall integrity. I can't tell you how much he helped me in the past and didn't take a dime. While I could be wrong, he certainly doesn't seem like a the kind of guy to intentionally steer anyone wrong. I suspect there might be a couple of differences between the LS2 and LS7 that were not noticed (significant or not), but I'd bet Steve is 100% calling it like he saw it. I definitely don't think Steve is here to solicit business.

One other thing... It's obvious the new LS7 block is not the cheap C5R clone many had hoped for, but the LS2 block has been performing very well from what I've seen. There are guys in the FI forum who are making well over 1000 rwhp with the LS2 block w/o issues. I'm not saying the LS7 will hold up as well, but since the LS7 is being compared to the LS2 I think it's only fair to say that it should meet the needs of most of the hp junkies if it performs as well as the LS2 has to date. To say the factory liners must be changed in the LS7 for use with FI is horse crap IMO until this is PROVEN. Are the factory LS7 liners as tough as the ductile iron liners? Probably not, but I will be shocked if the sleeves and the block can't take 900 rwhp. Sure the factory liners and block will fail if heavily abused (see above), but for the average Joe looking to add a basic power adder I suspect the factory LS7 block and liners will be up to the task.

For those of you who don't think the LS2, LS7, or C5R is the answer for your needs... Wait a couple of months for World Products to roll out their Warhawk block. Like any unproven item it might prove to have its own flaws, but based on price, specs, design, and materials I have a hard time believing this won't meet your needs.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Wet 1
Bill,

For those of you who don't think the LS2, LS7, or C5R is the answer for your needs... Wait a couple of months for World Products to roll out their Warhawk block. Like any unproven item it might prove to have its own flaws, but based on price, specs, design, and materials I have a hard time believing this won't meet your needs.

Just my 2 cents.
I just read the new GMHTP (great article BTW) on the new Warhawk blocks. They sound very impressive with features geared toward hp junkies looking for a strong block at a reasonable cost. A couple features; better block material than the GM blocks, external reinforcement ribs, much improved (and needed) oil distribution, optional 2 head bolts per cylinder (total of 36 compared to OEM 20). Overall it looks like a well engineered block and head setup.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
I just read the new GMHTP (great article BTW) on the new Warhawk blocks. They sound very impressive with features geared toward hp junkies looking for a strong block at a reasonable cost. A couple features; better block material than the GM blocks, external reinforcement ribs, much improved (and needed) oil distribution, optional 2 head bolts per cylinder (total of 36 compared to OEM 20). Overall it looks like a well engineered block and head setup.
I agree, but don't say that too loud... Warhawk1's head might swell-up!
Old 02-06-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2kSnakeEater
you guys are also forgeting that the MSRP on the z06 is $68k, its the Dealerships who are selling that vette for $80k, so gm is making money on the vette just not as much as we think they are.
The Dealer markup will kill you
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and i have also seen the ls7 motor make almost 600 rwhp with a stage 3 cam,17/8 kooks headers,tune,and electric w.p. and through stock exh....it made 7xx rwhp with a 150 shot ...this car runs strong and has had zero issues..
Yeah it has one problem it got beat by a little orange Camaro LOL! Just had to throw that in there although the car does run great and looks awesome.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is funny i said it made power not how fast it was..

Quick Reply: LS-2 in Disguise!!!