Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS engine questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006 | 01:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default LS engine questions

probably gonna be buying a different motor. my question is with all the different sponsors is one better than the other, or are most the same. is there someone i should look at before someone else?

cartek has the 427 for 12 something, some of the others have it in excess of 17 for example.

price will be very important, but not the only factor. i'm not apposed to paying extra for say a 427, unless there are some unforseen things that are being left out that i will have to buy anyway. hope that makes sense.
or will a 402 be the best bang for the buck? and what else will i have to buy with the block to acheive my hp goal?

seems like a lot of people are going with the ls2. that is what the guy recommends that works on my car.(ls1 with heads and cam)

a 402 doesn't sound bad to me, price and hp wise. i'd like to make between 500 and 550rwhp if possible. should i wait to buy the ls2 motor and let them get all the "kinks" worked out? the sdcp engine setup in this thread looked really nice to me. it would be going in a t/a. everything else on car has been upgraded, just wanting "a little more".
any help from a couple of you gear heads is appreciated.

thanks,
rob
Old 03-17-2006 | 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

If you are looking for 500-550 rwhp I believe the sdpc 402 may be the most economical way to go. SLP offers one to but there was a real long thread about them on here, and I don't know if the issue was ever resolved. I am just getting started on a big inch build myself, and the more looking I do the more I realize this **** is even more expensive than I thought. Oh well, if your gonna play, you gotta pay.
Old 03-17-2006 | 03:00 PM
TECH Regular

It really is going to depend on what you want. If you want to have a motor that wins the pp measuring contest and you have no issue with money then get a 427. If you are like most of us and money is an issue, then you can build a helluva motor based on the 402 LS2. I just went through this decision making process. I'm a poor soldier and the car payments on the C6 are killing me alone So, when it came time to do a motor 427 were out. In fact any real change in bore size was out. The big bores drive up the costs considerably. I must have called every engine builder out there, and I can honestly say that SDPC and Texas Speed are the best bang for the buck. They use good parts and use good building procedures. Nobody else is reallt close money wise. I'm not saying Cartek, or Rapid, or whomever is not a good builder... quite the contrary, but they use high dollar parts like Lunati vs. Eagle and the costs are higher. I'd have no problem with Dave Busch building my motor if money were no object. But, I'm a street car, not a Pro Street car so I think I can live with the Eagle parts. You need to ask yourself what do you want? Imagine pulling in to your local car hang out, thing is loping like its John Force's funny car. The gear heads ask you, "what's in it"? Do you want to give them all a chubby by saying a 560rwhp 427, or can you live with saying a 500rwhp 402? Are you a racer? Do you need the absolute power regardless of cost? That pretty much makes your choice a no-brainer. There are a lot of variables that none of us can really factor in because we just don't know what you want. So, all I can tell you is what I chose and that's a Texas Speed 402. Good luck!
Old 03-19-2006 | 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AintQik
It really is going to depend on what you want. If you want to have a motor that wins the pp measuring contest and you have no issue with money then get a 427. If you are like most of us and money is an issue, then you can build a helluva motor based on the 402 LS2. I just went through this decision making process. I'm a poor soldier and the car payments on the C6 are killing me alone So, when it came time to do a motor 427 were out. In fact any real change in bore size was out. The big bores drive up the costs considerably. I must have called every engine builder out there, and I can honestly say that SDPC and Texas Speed are the best bang for the buck. They use good parts and use good building procedures. Nobody else is reallt close money wise. I'm not saying Cartek, or Rapid, or whomever is not a good builder... quite the contrary, but they use high dollar parts like Lunati vs. Eagle and the costs are higher. I'd have no problem with Dave Busch building my motor if money were no object. But, I'm a street car, not a Pro Street car so I think I can live with the Eagle parts. You need to ask yourself what do you want? Imagine pulling in to your local car hang out, thing is loping like its John Force's funny car. The gear heads ask you, "what's in it"? Do you want to give them all a chubby by saying a 560rwhp 427, or can you live with saying a 500rwhp 402? Are you a racer? Do you need the absolute power regardless of cost? That pretty much makes your choice a no-brainer. There are a lot of variables that none of us can really factor in because we just don't know what you want. So, all I can tell you is what I chose and that's a Texas Speed 402. Good luck!
I agree wholeheartedly. The only reason I am going with the resleeved block is that I fell into a great deal on the block and pistons. I will end up at about 3200 for my shortblock so i had to jump on it. Were it not for that though I would def. be going with the 402. The price for them is outstanding. If you match everything up right you can blast 500 hp out of the water.
Old 03-26-2006 | 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

seen another thread about fast tb not working on ls2? my fast tb and manifold will transfer straight over to the ls2 won't it?

also how about custom fuel rail covers? in the process of buying custom fuel rail covers for the ls1 now. will these transfer over to the new block from my ls1 or is this going to be a HUGE waste of money. all my chromed junk, for example, all the stuff mba would offer in polished is now chromed including the brake resevoir. i assume all that stuff is a straight transfer over also?

thanks for any info/help

Quick Reply: LS engine questions