Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Solstice this month in HOT ROD

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 04:20 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparetire
You coukld ebay that for like 30 easy. Its the hot looking new car and the LS7 has some serious recognition among car folks. If you can get mid 20s for a high mileage Supra you can get 30 for that.

I basically agree though. It will be a rare rich guys toy. Perfect for Leno

Old 03-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm....I have driven my very own creation that is similiar to the v8 powered solitice. Ls1 miata 384/382 rwhp/tq at 2600lbs.='s one fast ride. I am currently building a ls6 383 for it. But, yes the wolf in sheeps clothing is a nice thing. I do not get bothered much, and when I do the looks are priceless. Plus the police do not expectanything.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just read the article. needless to say it made me a little tight in the trousers.

I found two things to be odd:
one, they said the new powertrain will add 800 lbs to the solstice. where do they get this figure? theyre only replacing the differential, so it would weigh the same. the 4" driveshaft can't weigh a quarter of a ton. the LS7 weighs less than 500 lbs. the t56 can't tip the scales at much over 100 lbs.

two, why did they use 3.23s behind a t56? are the tires alot smaller in diameter than an f-body's or corvette's?

I also don't see why you guys think it will be even with the Z06. they removed alot of weight too. they're also punching out the wheel wells for larger tires.

this thing should really haul ***.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:04 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zigroid

I also don't see why you guys think it will be even with the Z06. they removed alot of weight too. they're also punching out the wheel wells for larger tires.

this thing should really haul ***.
I agree, it will certainly move along .... but then again, you can make ANYTHING fast. Just comes down to time/money and what your particular preference is. World class tuners spend hundreds of thousands of dollars doing R&D to make civic's go fast ... and some of them do. Would most of us do it? No.

The comment I originally made was that the 40g's for the LS7 swap package is an AWEFUL lot of money to invest in a $20,000 car .... and that I would personally rather spend my 60-70 g's on a Z06, because I think it would be a better bang for the buck ... I used the selling point to illustrate one of my reasons.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd rather have the Z06 as well. I like the way it looks better.

I don't think theyre adding $50k worth of parts to the $20k car. theyve also made comments on what to do for the backyard mechanic and people who would be swapping another LSx engine in. I'd imagine parts alone it would still be a $50k car.

still outta my price range by about $49k
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

I think an LS1 or LS2 Swap would be enough power for that car... But there has to be someone who pioneers the industry, its those fellas that we love to hate.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Regular

800 lb weight addition?

I'm wondering if they took into consideration the weight of the old motor, trans, rear, and exhaust they got drop'd out of the 2800lb car.

If the LS7 Solstice were to weight in at 3600lbs then it really wouldn't be worth it.

Then again someone mentioned they traded the suspension components for a CTV/STS

That would add a little weight considering the Solstice comes with Aluminum upper and lower control arms.

The real question would be..
why swap out the light Aluminum parts for heavy steal parts.
Mallett's parts list show a composite set for replacement of the control arms.

That would be the right choice for a replacement part (lighter and stronger).

Then again they may be on a budget
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
TECH Resident

I spoke with Mr. Mallet (Chuck I think) at the Cleveland autoshow a few weeks ago. He quoted the LS2 solitice in the mid 11's on a cold day at the track. The LS7 will fly!
Old 03-23-2006, 04:35 AM
Staging Lane

Mallet's solstice went 12.7 at the track. Its a stock LS2 that was installed. I am in the process of doing the LS2 (402) swap on my solstice. (when it comes in). All the parts are ordered and I will be putting at least 550hp to the tires N/A and it will idle like a kitten.(Thanks speed density) A 6 speed swap will also be in the mix. The solstice comes from the factory with a cadillac rearend already,(cts) but I think that the caddy owners already know how those things react!! A STSV rear sounds like a good upgrade. They are already making DIY kits for the swap on the solstice forum. A couple people there already have completed the swap and are in the process of dialing everything in. The LS7 is a Super nice motor, but why spend the money buying one,(15K) when I can get a forged 402 LS2 for 3900 and put down more power than a stock LS7? JMO. It's sweet though no doubt. The LS7 also has that AWWWW appeal.
Mallet's car pulled over 1g on the skidpad and you can throw that thing around. The aisin 5 speed that comes stock is from the colorado and has a first gear ratio of 3.57 and the rearend is 3.91, so first gear in his car is useless with that power. Stock the solstice run anywhere from 15.4-15.6, some have claimed a couple of tenths faster, but for the most part it's in that range. It would take 515 RWHP to get 130mph trap speeds so I would say 550 for me should be good. haha. Hell it'll probably make more than that once said and done.

Jay
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
12 Second Club

Are you going to document the build? I'd love to be able to follow along.
Old 03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

GM should wise up and have a V8 $5k option for the Solstice...they are jackasses.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radkon
I spoke with Mr. Mallet (Chuck I think) at the Cleveland autoshow a few weeks ago. He quoted the LS2 solitice in the mid 11's on a cold day at the track. The LS7 will fly!
The LS2 Solstice must be making more than stock hp levels than, because it has a very similar power-to-weight ratio as a c6 vette. Might a bring up again that the Vette is going to in all likelyhood have a much better weight distribution. I bet the Vette is going to have a much better time moving from a stop than the Solstice will. badaSS98 remarked that the Mallet Solstice has gone 12.7 at the track, well within the realms of stock c6 capability. The Vette is going to handle better, brake better, and accelerate just as well as a Mallet Solstice, with a full GM warranty and all the goodies that come associated with Vettes.

I think alot of the guys on here are getting stuck up on thinking that just because the Solstice is a roadster, it must be super light. The v8 Mallet Solstice, when all is said and done, weighs over 3000lbs, and much of the new weight in the car is positions right where it shouldn't be, on the nose. The car is a novelty, but if I had to drop big money, its going to be on the Vette.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Yes I will document the build. I will be taking pics and writing down what I can. I think it will be fun. I won't be doing it alone though, another member from this site will be doing a good portion of the work as well. As sad as it is, Bob Lutz seems to have made it very clear that a V8 won't ever be an option for this veichle, as the crash standards wouldn't be met through the government. Also, the platform is "supposedly" only build to house inline style engines.. haha.. right!

Jay
Old 03-23-2006, 11:01 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
GM should wise up and have a V8 $5k option for the Solstice...they are jackasses.
It is to my understanding that GM is not making a whole lot of money on the Kappa cars (Solstice, Sky, and Opel GT in Europe), so putting a v8 in there and adding all of the supporting hardware needed to keep the car from lunching itself and flooding GM with warranty claims is going to take more R&D, and is likely going to cost more than $5k more over base MSRP. Besides, there is a point of diminishing returns with most cars when their costs start to increase exponential; how many do you think GM would actually sell?

I am not particularly a GM fan, but I fail to see as to how they are jackasses about this.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badaSS98
Yes I will document the build. I will be taking pics and writing down what I can. I think it will be fun. I won't be doing it alone though, another member from this site will be doing a good portion of the work as well. As sad as it is, Bob Lutz seems to have made it very clear that a V8 won't ever be an option for this veichle, as the crash standards wouldn't be met through the government. Also, the platform is "supposedly" only build to house inline style engines.. haha.. right!

Jay
I didn't hear anything about the car being able to hold an engine as long as an inline 6. Besides, I doubt we will ever see anything more than an engine with 4 cylinders in this car from GM ever.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Well, Mallett has a full 2 year warranty will all his work, but it has to be his work. He is also putting LS2/LS7's in Colorados and Trailblazers.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RussStang
I didn't hear anything about the car being able to hold an engine as long as an inline 6. Besides, I doubt we will ever see anything more than an engine with 4 cylinders in this car from GM ever.
Well, why would they when they can get 260 HP from a turbo 4 banger(GXP)? Not many stock roadsters can match that HP.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

I only said inline engines, I didn't say inline 6. The 2.4 is an inline engine.
The reason for mallets car only going 12.7 is because of the cold conditions, as well as the gearing through first being 3.57 and the rear being 3.91. That creates two shifts just to get to 60mph.. The trap speeds were higher than a C6. The Mallet handles better than the C6 as well.. It has a penske upgrade to it..

Jay
Old 03-23-2006, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

I would want the car im building just for the novelty and because not too many people will have done what Im doing. (as far as running into someone on the street). But the Z06 would definetly get my money when it came to that..

Jay
Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with Jay as for the Soltice being a great swap canadate. To say its not worth doing over buying a stock vette does not make much sense to me. As the Sostice will perform better and just be plain cool for the money.

BTW Jay's car will not be like the rest of the swaps. As much as we both like refinement. Jays will have a certain nasty-ness that may not be apparent till the wick is lighted. We do not like anything that is close to mild at this shop.

Quick Reply: LS7 Solstice this month in HOT ROD