Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Warhawk Answers

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Collections Removal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msb and dhdenney,

You guys are absolutely correct. There's too much conflicting B.S. on the site about Warhawk - and our sales guys are victims of disinformation as you.
Here's what's known. The delay in blocks and heads has prevented development of the PLANNED combinations. These combos are proven on CAD screen to be do-able but not yet mocked-up.
Also a major factor is that AT THIS TIME, there's no plan for crate engines. Certainly not EFI anyway. I stress, AT THIS TIME. Right now we just want to get the big chunks out to the market. You guys can spec your own piston / CR combos for your usage. Our parts will take the beating. You just can't buy a dedicated, assembled short specifically for your blower wishes. Best to start with a prepped block and bare or assembled heads.
Certainly, the blocks and heads can be used for blower apps. We designed them for bulletproof power. We're just not going to build blower crate engines.
We do plan to offer short blocks fairly soon after production begins and I'll get you tighter info early next week about their planned specs.
It doesn't help that we've just re-done both web sites,
www.theengineshop.com and www.worldcastings.com and the web master is not automotively well educated. I'm slowly editing each link of both sites and thank you guys for helping me in the LS section.
I'll get this straight for you next week.
Old 05-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Default Thank You MerlinPro

I waited a long time for the Warhawk & I will still buy one When they happen. The 427 I went ahead & built is doing fine but the 6 head bolts look good to me.I have had no problems & I am sure the thick deck of the ET heads has helped. I would still like to build a bigger motor just for fun. I heard somewhere 495 was a possibility. Anyway, thank you for the reply.

Last edited by msb184; 05-28-2006 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 1fstTA
can some body tell me how to get one. I have sent 2 different messages to them about this block with money in hand and no one will ever replie.
I am a dealer as well for World but we all have to wait for the block. I am pretty close to you as far as shipping goes as well.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default ET Heads

I think my heads might have come through you,do you have a 'chuck' working there?
Old 05-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Collections Removal

Default Compression Confusion

Here's that promised data to ease the confusion about our intended short block combinations. As used with our 64 and 72cc 12 and 15deg. heads. Listed by short block assembly part numbers;
#101260-438ci. 4.125x4.100, 8cc dish pistons, .039"gask. 72cc=10.6, 64cc=11.5.
#101262-454ci. 4.125x4.250, 12cc dish pistons,.039"gask. 72cc=10.6, 64cc=11.5.
#101264-481ci. 4.125x4.500, 18cc dish pistons,.039"gask. 72cc=10.6,
64cc=11.4.
All numbers are nominal with pistons .020" down. I stress these are planned combinations, subject to revision.
A note of reference; these compression ratios are all classified in our literature and web site as "Low compression" (even though one is higher than the other)- meaning pump gas. We consider that c/r's above these points require race gas.(Thus "high compression")
They may be higher than your planned combination, so a custom piston(meaning different dish or dome) must be considered and spec'd by the end-user. These, however, are the way we intend to build our product line.
Revising the web site and catalog will follow.
Hope this helps,
Old 05-30-2006, 05:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How about some information on the Warhawk LS1 heads!
Old 05-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Collections Removal

They are the 15 deg. design and have 200cc or 220cc intake runners each with 64 or 72cc chambers. They have been well discussed here.
Old 05-30-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
They are the 15 deg. design and have 200cc or 220cc intake runners each with 64 or 72cc chambers. They have been well discussed here.
Is there a clue at all when the blocks and/or heads will be available to people who have NOT YET ordered them?

Old 05-30-2006, 11:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
Is there a clue at all when the blocks and/or heads will be available to people who have NOT YET ordered them?
The "Search" feature is your friend

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iv-internal-engine/502827-warhawk-update.html
Old 05-31-2006, 07:24 AM
Collections Removal

Nine Ball,
Thanks for your help.
Quickin,
Thanks for asking.
Old 06-01-2006, 04:46 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why would you want the pistons down .020?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:13 AM
Collections Removal

We build all our crates to this spec. Remember, we offer a two year warranty on all our pump gas engines.
Old 06-01-2006, 07:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You build all your engines with .020" deck height? A .060" or something piston to head distance? Even with an aluminum block?

Isn't that a rather large quench area? Wouldn't that make them rather prone to detonation?
Old 06-01-2006, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

MerlinPro, when will you be offering these engines as crate motors??

also any idea on the cost and what will be need to get them running??

thnaks CHris.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:51 PM
Collections Removal

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
You build all your engines with .020" deck height? A .060" or something piston to head distance? Even with an aluminum block?

Isn't that a rather large quench area? Wouldn't that make them rather prone to detonation?
DavidNJ,

Of the five questions that comprise your entire post, one seems legitimate and the other four appear rhetorical and seem designed to cast doubt about our skills or sanity at World Products.

Or make us appear to be knuckleheads. We are not.

Extending the courtesy of an answer, NO, our crate engines are not prone to detonation what so ever, whether iron or aluminum, all built to the -.020" deck spec. Our Motown (SBC), Merlin (BBC) and Man O'War(SBF) crates generally use dished pistons, (further increasing chamber volume) 91 octane pump gas, compressions from 9.5 to 10.5 and moderate spark lead. (We also build race gas versions to 900 HP) Their dyno sheets (ALL are tested) show BSFC numbers in the upper 30's or low 40's, which speaks of an efficient chamber and good carb tuning.
They all make the advertised power and do NOT detonate. They all, as previously mentioned, have 2 year warrantys and don't come back to visit with holed pistons or warped heads or rubber rings.
An example is our 454 Limited Edition SMALL block. 600HP, 575LBFT. It's built with 64cc chambers, 12cc dish Mahles, down .020" and the .039" gasket. Nominal compression is 10.0. We've tested them on 87 octane in the past, with no rattling.

For further reference, I refer you to Jeff Smith's recent article in CHP, called "Quench Quest". To quote Mr. Smith, referring to Ken Duttweiler ... 'the tightest quench he recommends is .050"..."
Citing a 383 SBC test Smith and Ed Taylor of CHP conducted for this article, the engine was first tested with a .050" gasket and pistons .010" down. Switching to .040" gaskets only, they noted an increase of "...around 2 or 3 HP" - under the dyno's error factor.
Smith goes on to relate the theorys of Smokey Yunick and the late John Lingenfelter on this topic. It's interesting reading.

Surely we know that building with tight-quench zero-deck pistons is a path to increased power - but World is a production-based engine builder, not a $25K and up CUSTOM builder. We warranty what we sell and build-in protection for the end-user so he can enjoy his engine.

If your point was that heat transfer is impared by having a .059" quench (especially with aluminum block and/or heads) - I can tell you we haven't, and our customers haven't experienced it.

chunt,

There is no plan at this time to build Warhawk crates - however we will build short blocks and short block kits. We have the cam retainer plate, valley cover, rear plate and all the stud kits. The data is being entered on www.worldcastings.com soon. These will be to our spec, not custom builds as mentioned earlier on this thread. We gotta get you guys the chunks (we're so damn late!) and you build all the varied combos.

Thanks for your interest.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No of the questions where to question your sanity or skills (I rather surprised you took it that way). Rather they are clarifications of the initial question.

In various threads on this site, people have discussed using piston to head clearances of .025-.040. Most seem to have settled on numbers in the .033-.035 range. Mad Bill calculated that .019 should be possible. They are typically using compression ratios of 11:1 +/- .5.

In a recent article on building SBC oval track claimer motors (iron block), Vizard recommends .025-.028 depending on rev range (6500 and 6800-7000, respectively).

No doubt that your engines represent great values in crate motors, complete with carbs and warranty. And your small primary carb is interesting.

However, on this forum people have claimed up to 550rwhp on a 402. 450-500rwhp on a 347. 600hp at the crankshaft on a 454 would be a lower state of tune. However, still an impressive carbureted crate motor.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:18 AM
Collections Removal

David,
No doubt people can run very tight numbers on the deck and make big power. We just can't support razor thin margin engines. We have a slightly different audience. Your evidence of citing Vizard is very valid, however, those are race engines and are maintained as such. Joe Sherman, Tony Bischoff and Jon Kasse are cutting-edge guys to see for daring design features. We must be more conservative than they, and our cost reflects that.
Our small 454 is a 1.3 HP per cube design and as such offers good value for the customer as you state. I'm unclear about your reference to our "...small primary carb...". Our 454 uses our 1050 Dominator and our current only other carb is an 870, 4150. All our crates get one or the other.
As you know, we're planning a Dominator intake for Warhawk.
Regards,
Old 06-02-2006, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Thanks for the detailed posts MerlinPro!!!
Old 06-02-2006, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by MerlinPro
DavidNJ,

Of the five questions that comprise your entire post, one seems legitimate and the other four appear rhetorical and seem designed to cast doubt about our skills or sanity at World Products.

Or make us appear to be knuckleheads. We are not.

Extending the courtesy of an answer, NO, our crate engines are not prone to detonation what so ever, whether iron or aluminum, all built to the -.020" deck spec. Our Motown (SBC), Merlin (BBC) and Man O'War(SBF) crates generally use dished pistons, (further increasing chamber volume) 91 octane pump gas, compressions from 9.5 to 10.5 and moderate spark lead. (We also build race gas versions to 900 HP) Their dyno sheets (ALL are tested) show BSFC numbers in the upper 30's or low 40's, which speaks of an efficient chamber and good carb tuning.
They all make the advertised power and do NOT detonate. They all, as previously mentioned, have 2 year warrantys and don't come back to visit with holed pistons or warped heads or rubber rings.
An example is our 454 Limited Edition SMALL block. 600HP, 575LBFT. It's built with 64cc chambers, 12cc dish Mahles, down .020" and the .039" gasket. Nominal compression is 10.0. We've tested them on 87 octane in the past, with no rattling.

For further reference, I refer you to Jeff Smith's recent article in CHP, called "Quench Quest". To quote Mr. Smith, referring to Ken Duttweiler ... 'the tightest quench he recommends is .050"..."
Citing a 383 SBC test Smith and Ed Taylor of CHP conducted for this article, the engine was first tested with a .050" gasket and pistons .010" down. Switching to .040" gaskets only, they noted an increase of "...around 2 or 3 HP" - under the dyno's error factor.
Smith goes on to relate the theorys of Smokey Yunick and the late John Lingenfelter on this topic. It's interesting reading.

Surely we know that building with tight-quench zero-deck pistons is a path to increased power - but World is a production-based engine builder, not a $25K and up CUSTOM builder. We warranty what we sell and build-in protection for the end-user so he can enjoy his engine.

If your point was that heat transfer is impared by having a .059" quench (especially with aluminum block and/or heads) - I can tell you we haven't, and our customers haven't experienced it.

chunt,

There is no plan at this time to build Warhawk crates - however we will build short blocks and short block kits. We have the cam retainer plate, valley cover, rear plate and all the stud kits. The data is being entered on www.worldcastings.com soon. These will be to our spec, not custom builds as mentioned earlier on this thread. We gotta get you guys the chunks (we're so damn late!) and you build all the varied combos.

Thanks for your interest.

FYI, we have plans for a complete Warhawk crate engine
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Collections Removal

PS John,
Thanks for the kind words. Love good tech discussions and the guys have been very kind and patient with our delay situation.

Jason,
I know you guys will test the power threshold of our parts...

Quick Reply: Warhawk Answers