Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls7 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006 | 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

Default ls7 issues?

hey guys, i have been a bit in left field and notived a few post or comments about the possibly the ls7 motor in the zo6 isn't all that it was meant to be.

Rods through the block? Not handling a set number of nos, WAT?

Can anyone give me a run down of what is happening? I went throught the first 4-5 pages and couldnt; find anything...

I would really appreciate this since some unnamed z06 owners won't admit and defects and since this audience is more honest, imo, i figure i could get some better, objectible answers becuz i might get a killer deal on a 06' zo6 and this is kinda holding me back...

I want to go boost and i know 11.0:1 CR isnt boost friendly... so amybe a nice streetable cam/tune, LG longtubes and a little wet shot or boost...

thanks!!

Oh, will a warhawk shortblock bolt up to the ls7 heads? I think they should?!
Old 04-12-2006 | 12:22 AM
Launching!

ls7 heads will work on the warhawk block. I cant comment on the reliablity of the ls7 block because I dont have any personal experiences with it. I definately think that your best bet is to either go N/A or the warhawk block. LG motorsports was able to put down 620hp to the wheels with there z06 with there LT headers, exhaust port work on the heads, stg 4 cam and a few other small tweaks.

Last edited by adams2003; 04-12-2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-12-2006 | 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

I'm with Adam...600 rwhp in a 3000 lb car. If you can drive that and use all that power you need to be a pro racer...if it is about bragging rights then I suppose you would want to build a purpose built engine. I know from experience with several cars that anything over 500 rwhp on a street car is a waste and ussually slower because most drivers cannot control the wheelspin.
Old 04-12-2006 | 12:01 PM
TECH Addict

understandble, my question was more directed towards a few posts about the ls7 block not holding up to mods. LG has succeeded in getting 625rwhp through the stock ls7 with a few mods however, how long will that hold. As soon as you mod the motor, you'll loose the warranty so i must be well assured that it will hold. Of course all things motorsports has tolerances and those must be meet with adequate caution....

but can these ls7's hold a few mods, that is my concern.

thanks though, i feel that stock, the car is more that enough for a street car and has lots of potential in learing the cars launch, track presence, stability, roll, etc. However, i can't leave anything alone and when im done with my camaro project, that is i ever want to finish it, im sure my attention might be turned towards the vette. That is, if i haven't do so already!!
Old 04-12-2006 | 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by obZidian
understandble, my question was more directed towards a few posts about the ls7 block not holding up to mods. LG has succeeded in getting 625rwhp through the stock ls7 with a few mods however, how long will that hold. As soon as you mod the motor, you'll loose the warranty so i must be well assured that it will hold. Of course all things motorsports has tolerances and those must be meet with adequate caution....

but can these ls7's hold a few mods, that is my concern.

thanks though, i feel that stock, the car is more that enough for a street car and has lots of potential in learing the cars launch, track presence, stability, roll, etc. However, i can't leave anything alone and when im done with my camaro project, that is i ever want to finish it, im sure my attention might be turned towards the vette. That is, if i haven't do so already!!
I think the motor is too new for anyone to give you a definite answer on this.
Old 04-12-2006 | 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Only info I read was that the sleeves were pressed in and were not that good. That was from steve who coengineered the darton sleeves, and had to repair an ls7 block that had a bad sleeve.
Old 04-12-2006 | 04:58 PM
Launching!

Why not just sell the ls7 (might be able to get 10 or 11k for it) and build a warhawk motor?
Old 04-12-2006 | 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

not a bad idea....

Quick Reply: ls7 issues?