Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Aircraft LSX revisited

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 06:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam design

same design as for marine. same rpm range. my 5.7 marine engine ran up to 4600 rpm. my newer 4.3 is abou same.
may have to be custom grind for ls engines.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Looks like a fun project! I would shy away from the Kenne Bell supercharger or any twinscrew/roots type. If you lose a belt, you pretty much choke the motor off. If you use a centrifugal, you can at least have a little more partial power by pulling through it, or by using a bypass valve. I also would not rely on a Megasquirt to keep me in the air. Perhaps something more like a Motec or Magnetti Marelli's ecu's. Redundency would be critical here for both fuel and spark. Vesta would definitely be good to talk to.
I hope to start building my Bearhawk someday soon, and would like to use an LS based motor also. Happy Flying!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:59 PM
org
On The Tree

Don2, I'm curious about your reservations about the Megasquirt...do you know of a weakness in reliability that I haven't heard of? I haven't married myself to anything yet but the use of a LSX engine and chain drive...both because they are about as bulletproof as it gets if set up right.

I won't be using any type of forced induction, at least for a while. The fewer variables the better, and I don't want to go too far from the tried and true until I get some time on the airframe and engine combination.

I've talked to Jason Day, and while his units look good, I can't get him to give me a name of someone using one...or even the amount of time he has in the air. I'm interested in his props, too, but haven't heard of one actually flying for any length of time.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Teching In

Org,
Nothing in particular. Just the fact that it is a relatively young product that is usually self assembled. I would run one on a car in a heartbeat, but there is potential for way too much to go wrong in an aircraft. I have had my fair share of ECU problems this year with other projects so it makes me a little gun shy about using something like the Megasquirt. I would feel safer flying behind something sealed and proven in professional racing environment.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:26 AM
org
On The Tree

Thanks Don2. Whatever I use will be a redundant setup so far as the computer is concerned.

org
Old 05-11-2006, 06:29 PM
Launching!

What about a MEFI?? Like the ones running the LS7's from Katech?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Wow, what an amazing project. Good luck with this !
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Launching!

I wanna see pics of your project. Is this a kit or built from plans?
Old 05-12-2006, 04:10 PM
org
On The Tree

Luke, http://home.comcast.net/~ogoodwin/Mustang.html is my website, lots of pictures of mine and also pictures of a LS1 installation on another. It's plans built, no kits. I've done all the work so far, but I'm having the landing gear built by a pro...my welding isn't something I want to trust hitting the ground at 70 mph, and there's lots of machine work involved.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Nice site. I lusted after the Stewart S-51 the P51 replica when they were selling them. It's a beautiful but $$$$ plane. My brother is building a "lowly" Zodiac right now. His metal fab work borders on "****" but he's betting his life on his craftsmanship so I can't blame him.

Keep us posted as your project progresses.

Quick Reply: Aircraft LSX revisited