Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Windage tray clearance on LS2 402?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windage tray clearance on LS2 402?

It's an eagle 4" crank, with ARP rod bolts and ARP main studs, in a C5 corvette (so it's got the corvette windage tray). Without any washers, only one of the short main bolts was hitting the windage tray. It was right at the flat spot for where the nut holds the windage tray down, only one out of 10 had a large enough flat spot for it to hit, the one that the oil pump pickup tube support bolts to.

Anyway, I put one (1) washer on each main stud, and now there is nothing touching. I rotated the engine over several times to make sure, and no part of the rotating assembly contacts the windage tray. In fact, the rotating parts wouldn't have hit it anyway, only the one main cap touched.

Is that correct? All it takes is one washer? The nuts on the main studs appear to be the same height as the stock ones, so that didn't give more clearance. I just don't understand why everyone would say "spacers", if all it takes is one washer. I've seen posts where people (with F-Bodies, though) say they even had to grind the oil pan itself, for rod-bolt clearance. And my rod bolts don't even touch the windage tray, let alone the oil pan.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but should Eagle and 4.0" be stamped on it anywhere I can see from the bottom end? It came with the heads on, so I can't just measure piston movement.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Spacers (or shims), in this case does mean washers. 1 washer or shim is plenty enough clearance. Otherwise it will place the oil pickup tube too close to the bottom of the oil pan. You can the look on the inside of the windage for small nicks to make sure. In my case there was more than one nick.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

i just drill a hole right in that corner of the protruding stud and let it pop right thru a little.

Quick Reply: Windage tray clearance on LS2 402?