Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

SERIOUSLY! I am ready to pay for my parts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the responses to that one. I totally hear you on the Less boost with bigger cubes pov, and it is a fact, and it is most likely what i will do. I was just looking for that "reliability everyday on the street" foundation. So it became a toss up between iron vs aluminum RESLEEVED, (408 vs. LS2 41?). I totally back that W2W statement, god knows i'd love to have them do a build for me, but my numbers are not right for that. I Absolutely love the work of Stenod, and am so close to calling them, but i need to complete this lowr end. I want to build an LS2, since i am an addict of the LS6, and it was my third real Fbody motor, (short block in a previous TA). I swore by it, and i hear such good things about the LS2, so why not up the ci??? I want to invest in something I will always have fun in, and can count on to last. I made the choice to go TT, whenvr i figure the kit, for street issues- spool time, power advantages over a big *** single unit... So what im saying is thankyou, and i hope to decide the motor by next frday, but Stenod is in my rolodex...
Old 11-08-2006, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

ps- i didnt wanna procharge anymore after seeing my friend lose his belt 3 times, and drive home smelling of grilled cheese!! Lol!
Old 11-08-2006, 02:45 AM
TECH Resident

then there was this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Katec...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 11-08-2006, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quickin
You should read the fine print. Just because you got suckered into buying an engine from a place that makes people believe they built something, doesn't mean anyone esle has to. Its all about advertising and sucking people in to sell engines, you're one of them.

Right from their site, under the ad for that 100% custom twin turbo drag car that took one year to build.

Even though Wheel to Wheel Powertrain didn’t officially build and does not own the car or engine, we are capable of and excited about the prospect of building similar projects for customers. I think that the employees listed above demonstrate the passion for performance that our customers will receive.
LOL, yeah I got 'suckered' into buying a motor from a shop with a stellar reputation that does developmental work for GM.

The motor that you are talking about was built by W2W and is owned by Kurt Urban, who works there. So, the employees at W2W were dedicated enough to spend a bunch of time working on a project to show what could be done with a properly setup car and motor.

And the title of "oh, we have the fastest car changes hands all the time"....it means nothing. And you really shouldn't go around telling people that this or that shop is the worlds best when all you've done is hang out on the internet, the world is much larger. The fastest W2W built LSx car is 7.69 @ 181 BTW.
The title of the quickest LSx motor hasn't changed since they made that pass. So yeah, it changes 'all the time'.

Who is the internet jockey here...do you even have a LSx motor that has made 1000+hp? Or do you just dream about them? Do you even have a motor from the shop where you are telling this guy to go?

Like I said, I haven't heard of NRE before...which I find strange since I live 10 miles away from their shop. I have spent a lot of time at local PSCA races and can't remember seeing any of their cars/customers there. I'm not saying that they aren't a great shop, but they aren't a known quantity like W2W. What is their fastest LSx build?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MyWs62FaST4u
I totally back that W2W statement, god knows i'd love to have them do a build for me, but my numbers are not right for that.
Give Todd @ W2W a call and ask him about pricing on a short or longblock. You might be suprised.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by btwarrior
Thats why the outlaw racers are using 600-800 cube engines with twin 106's @ only 15-20 psi boost. Conservative tune=longer life on motor. And just think, you can always turn it up more!
No they aren't... Lynch runs a ~600 CID motor with twin GT55/91's and Brand runs a ~700 CID motor with twin Turbonetics 91's.

Who runs twin 106's?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
FormerVendor

The ford guys run 449 cubers and dual 88's!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Phate
LOL, yeah I got 'suckered' into buying a motor from a shop with a stellar reputation that does developmental work for GM.

The motor that you are talking about was built by W2W and is owned by Kurt Urban, who works there. So, the employees at W2W were dedicated enough to spend a bunch of time working on a project to show what could be done with a properly setup car and motor.

The title of the quickest LSx motor hasn't changed since they made that pass. So yeah, it changes 'all the time'.

Who is the internet jockey here...do you even have a LSx motor that has made 1000+hp? Or do you just dream about them? Do you even have a motor from the shop where you are telling this guy to go?

Like I said, I haven't heard of NRE before...which I find strange since I live 10 miles away from their shop. I have spent a lot of time at local PSCA races and can't remember seeing any of their cars/customers there. I'm not saying that they aren't a great shop, but they aren't a known quantity like W2W. What is their fastest LSx build?
Look, W2W is a damn good shop, any moron can see that. But you are doing what so many people do: Since you have one of their engines you tell everyone that they are the best shop on the planet, look no further, its the only place to choose. Do you realize how cheezy that it. If NRE or Gayle Banks cared about showing people what an engine could do, they'd also waste their time and money and run 6's in the 1/4 mile. Whats the point? THERE IS NO POINT. There's a tranny shop in Lauderdale called ATF, they have no less than 5 cars in their shop every week, old friggin junky looking Fox body Mustangs with big single turbos or sc'ers running 6's....big damn deal. Purpose built trailored drag cars are supposed to do that.

Old 11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look, W2W is a damn good shop, any moron can see that. But you are doing what so many people do: Since you have one of their engines you tell everyone that they are the best shop on the planet, look no further, its the only place to choose. Do you realize how cheezy that it. If NRE or Gayle Banks cared about showing people what an engine could do, they'd also waste their time and money and run 6's in the 1/4 mile. Whats the point? THERE IS NO POINT. There's a tranny shop in Lauderdale called ATF, they have no less than 5 cars in their shop every week, old friggin junky looking Fox body Mustangs with big single turbos or sc'ers running 6's....big damn deal. Purpose built trailored drag cars are supposed to do that.
I don't understand your argument at all. You are telling me not to recommend a shop that I had a great experience with during my build, and that delivered on every timeline and expectation that I had. Incidentally, this shop has done the same thing for many others on this site and their motors are in most of the fastest LSx cars around. The motors that come out of W2W last pass after pass, ask the Ohio Boys.

Does W2W cost more then the average shop? Sure. Want to know why? They do failure testing on all of the parts that they use in their builds, they know what will last and what won't. Most shops either don't have the budget or don't want to spend the time doing this level of analysis.

Instead, you are recommending a shop that virtually no one has heard of, based on what? Personal experience with them? Do you have one of their motors or not?

Either way, the guy asked for opinions, I gave mine, I stand behind it, and I can substantiate the reasons why.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Nelson Racing Engines (NRE) is more well known for their work with traditional engines, I haven't seen any of their work with LSx motors, but their builds for Hot Rod Magazine are top notch and I've never heard a bad thing about them. When I have the funds I'll order my turbos from them, but build it my self. I have also never heard a bad thing aabout W2W other than price, but you have to pay to play.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

C
Originally Posted by ArrestMeRed99Z28
Nelson Racing Engines (NRE) is more well known for their work with traditional engines, I haven't seen any of their work with LSx motors, but their builds for Hot Rod Magazine are top notch and I've never heard a bad thing about them. When I have the funds I'll order my turbos from them, but build it my self. I have also never heard a bad thing aabout W2W other than price, but you have to pay to play.
Thats the problem.....their price's. They're pathetic. Just like Lingenfelter. Everyone says the same crap, "Oh, you get what you pay for." Bullshit. Lingenfelter offers warranties on their turbo set-ups because they charge twice what it costs to build the set-up. So if one blows in the 2yr/24,000 mile time frame, they already have the suckers money to replace it, gaining interest the whole time. W2W is no better than any other sponsor or shop, but the quote I got of $120,000 for a TT build is quite funny. JUST THE FRIGGIN ENGINE, INSTALL AND TUNE. NRE was $75,000 (including mini-tub, tranny, rear-end, roll cage, suspension work, install and tuning, out the door ready to drive) and they are 10 times better at building TT engines, sbc or LSx, it doesn't matter.

Phate,
So you're telling me that they take a brand new set of rods, pistons, cranks, etc from top manufacturers and put them through failure tests Whatever it takes to make sales, if you believe that I have a bridge I can sell you. And all the other top builders have no idea what parts "will last" and "what won't last", thats a double

And I never once recommended NRE to the thread starter, he and/or nobody here can afford their stuff, plus they don't build LSx engines, although they sure could. I was talking about a shop that could go 6's any time they choose too with a small block tt engine. But its pointless unless you like that kind of thing. Shops that charge ridiculous prices for things need to in case their stuff blows up under warranty. NRE warranties their 1,500 hp TT 427 sbc engines, good luck getting that from any other shop WITHOUT having to pay DOUBLE for it, up front. Also, W2W told me "NO" warranty on a TT set up, now thats confidence.

MyWs62FaST4u,

I recommend you shop around to different builders and get prices. W2W will be between double and triple everyone elses, I've already done the research for you so I know. Than do exactly what I'm doing, if you don't mind using a sbc instead of the Lsx block, with TT's, you need to call NRE and get a price. Than you'll have a serious piece of machinery for a daily driver that will *** rape any LSx shops TT set ups using "pump gas", while everyone else needs to use race gas. NRE builds anything, but they specialize in building reliable, technolgically advanced, CRAZY high HP, street car engines. If I remember correctly, someone got a price for the TT 427ci sbc, with a 230ish tiny cam, 1,300 FWHP, "pump gas", [b]keep your show car quality custom install for $35,000 or so. Have to confirm the price.
Go here and watch the video of their 427, its insane:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/small-block-big-block-chevy-specific/536238-omg-1330-hp-pump-gas-tt-sbc-mild-cammed-street-engine.html

Phate,
Now thats a recommendation

Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

...and they are 10 times better at building TT engines, sbc or LSx, it doesn't matter.
LOL, like I said, where are all fast/high hp LSx motors that they have put together? Oh, right...you go on to say later on, "...they don't build LSx engines." So essentially, THEY DON'T HAVE ANY.

And I never once recommended NRE to the thread starter
Really, take a look down a few posts...short memory?

"Call NRE and get a pump gas 408ci TT with 1,330 HP for about $30,000."

Phate,
So you're telling me that they take a brand new set of rods, pistons, cranks, etc from top manufacturers and put them through failure tests.
Um, yeah. There are several aftermarket parts that they will not use in their builds because they do not meet their standards...parts that you see in other shop's builds all the time.

...but the quote I got of $120,000 for a TT build is quite funny. JUST THE FRIGGIN ENGINE, INSTALL AND TUNE.
I'm willing to bet that you got your wires crossed. Your saying that W2W wanted to charge you 120,000 to build a motor, install it, and tune it? You might want to double check those figures. You'll have 25k in the motor, 3k for BS3, 5k for miscellaneous stuff...and
probably pay 125/hr for custom fab work for the turbo stuff.

Also, W2W told me "NO" warranty on a TT set up, now thats confidence.
LOL, are you for real, no **** there is no warranty. What's to stop someone from cranking the boost way up without the tune to support it? What if you decide to ride the rev limiter down the track and hurt something? Do you expect that to be warrantied too?

Phate,
Now thats a recommendation
So to summarize your recommendation:
- Switch from a LSx to a SBC
- Spend 35k with a shop that nobody that has posted has personal experience with...that you said that you never recommended...and now recommend?

Sounds good to me...

Anyways, I think this is my last post on this topic. You and I bickering back and forth isn't going to help this guy find his motor. Just out of curiosity, when is your build going to be finished?

Last edited by Phate; 11-08-2006 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLED28
The ford guys run 449 cubers and dual 88's!
That's the old setup... try www.prolineraceengines.com for more info...

FWIW I would trust those guys to build a turbo motor. They built mine. Steve Petty and co. might happen to know something seeing as how they have the fastest outlaw 10.5W car out there... 6.6's and 220+ mph.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
On The Tree

There's a tranny shop in Lauderdale called ATF, they have no less than 5 cars in their shop every week, old friggin junky looking Fox body Mustangs with big single turbos or sc'ers running 6's....big damn deal. Purpose built trailored drag cars are supposed to do that.

Dude, you kill me. You have no idea how difficult it is to do that, and how much time, money, and effort is involved. There are only a handful of 6 second outlaw 10.5 cars out there.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:33 PM
FormerVendor

Lynch went 6.66 with the 449 I thought, There's more then a handfull, hell there's 2 6sec 10.5 cars in Toronto alone!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLED28
Lynch went 6.66 with the 449 I thought, There's more then a handfull, hell there's 2 6sec 10.5 cars in Toronto alone!
Lynch had the 600+" BBF and twin GT55-91's... Fastest that I'd heard he'd gone was 6.8's at last year's Shakedown at E town with the 449.

The 6 second 10.5 cars that I've heard of are:

David Hance
Conrad Scarry
Dan Millen
Tim Lynch
Brad Brand
Billy Glidden
Steve Kirk

Of course, I'm biased towards the ford racers, but there is a chevy guy in there!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
FormerVendor

http://www.raceosca.com/racer_profiles/carinci.htm
http://www.raceosca.com/racer_profiles/grella.htm

Two more there!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

SLED is gonna build me a 412, oh yes. I see it happening. lol.
Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
Dude, you kill me. You have no idea how difficult it is to do that, and how much time, money, and effort is involved. There are only a handful of 6 second outlaw 10.5 cars out there.
A handful, you might want to order a re-count Outlaw 10.5 or whatever, there's a shitload of cars in this country going 6's and 7's. It just takes cash to go that fast, THATS IT. Anyone with money can have someone build it.

Old 11-09-2006, 02:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
Lynch had the 600+" BBF and twin GT55-91's... Fastest that I'd heard he'd gone was 6.8's at last year's Shakedown at E town with the 449.

The 6 second 10.5 cars that I've heard of are:

David Hance
Conrad Scarry
Dan Millen
Tim Lynch
Brad Brand
Billy Glidden
Steve Kirk

Of course, I'm biased towards the ford racers, but there is a chevy guy in there!
Only one from your list is here:
http://www.outlawracing.com/CURRENTP...6/Default.aspx

Quick Reply: SERIOUSLY! I am ready to pay for my parts!!!