Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ls5?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 04:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the intake side looks VERY beefy. im not sure on the exhaust, but im sure it can take some abuse. the intake side reminds me of the shaft design of the Hemi rockers. i like, i like alot me thinks
Old 09-09-2006, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slt200mph
Got one word for ya ... expensive .. GM power train has made the decision long time ago that the LS series engine is the long term power plant in V8 applications..GM is not going to spend a bunch of money in R&D to produce a low volumn speciality motor.. they have the right engine now.. you are going to see more refinments of the LS engine family for a long time to come..forget about the 4 valve per cyl. DOHC engine configuratin.. it is not happening ..
simple, effective, efficient, cheap.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I agree, they learned that lesson the hard way with the LT5. Sure, there will come a time when the move to OHC will happen, but it will be a ways off. Hell, who knows, by that time they may go camless
oh god, just imagine... solenoid actuated valves, hcci, dod!
Old 09-09-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The day camless engines become a production reality will be the day Everything changes! Imagine, with the flip of a switch being able to go from 45mpg to 500hp! Or maybe both at the same time! That will be the day! Now with these heads... as long as we don't loose the weight and size advantages we enjoy with the LSx engines it'll be a great thing. Even if they are big and heavy, more airflow is NEVER a bad thing... remember, there are more than a few ways to achieve low-end torque (think variable valve timing )
Old 09-10-2006, 10:48 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's with all the hate on this new engine?

remember the LT1? what did it have, 285 horsepower? shoot, that was back in '95. the mustangs were only making 265 horsepower in 2002! the LT1 was a heck of an engine for its day.

put yourself in the LT1 guys' positions years ago when news of the LS1 coming out was announced. what did the LT1 guys say? there was a ton of hate on the LS1. first off, the LT1 was 350 CID and the LS1 was 346 CID. that right away sparked hatred. the crowd had a bad feeling it would be a very small step forward, or maybe even a step backwards.

but the LS1 performed - even better than rated! and now, nearly 10 years down the road, the LSx series of engines is beloved. everyone on this site loves the LSx engines - just like people did the LT1 and LT4 years ago.

so why are we so afraid of this new engine? this could be the next LS1. this could be the beginning of a whole new breed of a beast - something that eats an LSx motor for breakfast just like an LSx motor eats an LT series motor.

don't be afraid of the future, guys. we can't keep hanging on to the LSx series forever. look at what's happening. the LSx series is finding it harder and harder to pass new emissions laws. and eek! we have FI 4 cylinders keeping up with us. in order to put them back in their place, we have to reach higher. the LSx is a great series of motors, but we CAN do better...and we WILL do better. hopefully, this motor will be the transitioning phase away from the LSx series - a transition to an even brighter future...and more power
Old 09-10-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Choco, i agree totaly!

Chris.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
what's with all the hate on this new engine?

remember the LT1? what did it have, 285 horsepower? shoot, that was back in '95. the mustangs were only making 265 horsepower in 2002! the LT1 was a heck of an engine for its day.

put yourself in the LT1 guys' positions years ago when news of the LS1 coming out was announced. what did the LT1 guys say? there was a ton of hate on the LS1. first off, the LT1 was 350 CID and the LS1 was 346 CID. that right away sparked hatred. the crowd had a bad feeling it would be a very small step forward, or maybe even a step backwards.

but the LS1 performed - even better than rated! and now, nearly 10 years down the road, the LSx series of engines is beloved. everyone on this site loves the LSx engines - just like people did the LT1 and LT4 years ago.

so why are we so afraid of this new engine? this could be the next LS1. this could be the beginning of a whole new breed of a beast - something that eats an LSx motor for breakfast just like an LSx motor eats an LT series motor.

don't be afraid of the future, guys. we can't keep hanging on to the LSx series forever. look at what's happening. the LSx series is finding it harder and harder to pass new emissions laws. and eek! we have FI 4 cylinders keeping up with us. in order to put them back in their place, we have to reach higher. the LSx is a great series of motors, but we CAN do better...and we WILL do better. hopefully, this motor will be the transitioning phase away from the LSx series - a transition to an even brighter future...and more power
AMEN BROTHA, now are you gonna heal me or do i have to have that looked at?
Old 09-11-2006, 06:37 AM
TECH Regular

Looking at the Design you might be able to get away with using the LS2 or L92 shortblock with this head and a new manifold (intake and exhaust).

I like the Direct Port Injection, tuners will need to remember to wait until the exhaust valve closes before injecting fuel though as to not waiste fuel

And this design reminds me of Arrow's 32 valve OHV heads for the old Gen I Small Blocks. Okay so Arrow angles the exhaust side pushrod and has 4 valves per cylinder but it is similar.

Small lift cam, 2 intake small to medium valves, 1 large exhaust valve, Displacement on Demand, and Variable Valve Timing (cam phaser).
Running a wide LSA of 117 to 119 wouldn't be that bad as the VVT would advance the cam on the low end (for torque) and retard on the high end (for hp).

I wonder if this motor will come E85 capable (Alternative Fuel) from the factory...

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 09-11-2006 at 06:42 AM.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

sweet, can't wait for these
Old 09-20-2006, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

i could be way off but perhaps the reason the torque # seems so low and the hp is up their is because it has a big bore but small stroke which would also explain the high rpm acheived to reach the max hp?
Old 09-21-2006, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

^I think some of the bore/stroke ratio gurus will disagree with your comment.

Quick Reply: Ls5?