Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

this bore and stroke...vs...this one ??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this bore and stroke...vs...this one ??????

4.125 bore...4.000 stroke

and

4.125 bore...4.100 stroke

Besides the 11 cubic inches, is there any DIS-advantage of the longer stroke? Piston speed, oil burn, etc...

Is the 11 cubes really only worth about 16 hp, all else being equal.

Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume that you would gain more "under curve" tq by going with the longer stroke vs. peak hp. The only disadvantage that I can see is the ring placement being tighter. It's not that big of a deal in a N/A application, but if you wanted to go power adder it might pose a problem if you got to heavy with it. IMO, get as many cubes as you can.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
I would assume that you would gain more "under curve" tq by going with the longer stroke vs. peak hp. The only disadvantage that I can see is the ring placement being tighter. It's not that big of a deal in a N/A application, but if you wanted to go power adder it might pose a problem if you got to heavy with it. IMO, get as many cubes as you can.
What do you mean ring placement? There's 3 grooves where the rings go?????? How can they be placed in different places? I thought the oil burning problems come from the piston traveling so far down the sleeve that it comes out of the sleeve a little bit and causes the pistons to "rock around", which cause ring wear, which allows the oil to get by after the rings have worn down.

I personally want to go 4.125 bore and 4.125 stroke...441ci But if I have another engine that burns oil like my 436 does, even after a year of daily driving, I'll drive the car off the end of a cliff, with me in it.

Do you have your Harrop yet?

Old 10-03-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Quickin
What do you mean ring placement? There's 3 grooves where the rings go?????? How can they be placed in different places? I thought the oil burning problems come from the piston traveling so far down the sleeve that it comes out of the sleeve a little bit and causes the pistons to "rock around", which cause ring wear, which allows the oil to get by after the rings have worn down.

I personally want to go 4.125 bore and 4.125 stroke...441ci But if I have another engine that burns oil like my 436 does, even after a year of daily driving, I'll drive the car off the end of a cliff, with me in it.

Do you have your Harrop yet?

Look at it like this, both combo's use a 6.125" rod. If you left the upper pin in the same spot with each stroke, then you pull the piston to far out and push it to far up. To accomodate, they tighten the ring spacing and move the pin up. Now your rings are seated were they need to be and piston height is were it's supposed to be. Now that you are running tighter spacing, you could be more prone to cracking a ring land or whatever, but like i said, in a N/A combo, it should be no problem. If your piston came to far out of the sleeve, your ring would pop out of the land and break off upon reinsertion. You'd know about that fairly quick. If your motor is burning that much oil, I'd suspect improper gapping, blow by, or just poor building. If built properly, I don't see were the longer stroke would burn any more oil than any other stroker. Just depend on how tight they set it up.

Yes, I've had the Harrop for a few months. Just wish I had the money to get the rest of the stuff I need. Should be done soon though.

Quick Reply: this bore and stroke...vs...this one ??????