Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 in a LS1 F-body?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L92 in a LS1 F-body?

I'm considering using the L92 block rather than the LS2 because for $300 more, you get 13 more cubes. I have some concerns though. This will be for my '00 LS1 Camaro SS.

Besides the L92 heads, what other heads will fit? Particulary, will the ETP heads fit?

How about cams? Is the L92 block gona require a cam dedicated for the L92 or will LSX based cams work?

What about the, valley cover, front cover, rear cover, timing set, and any sensors assosiated with this block?

I've got a Protorque LS1 converter and TH350. Will they both work on the L92 block? I'll have to send my converter back in either way to accomodate the new power, but wasn't sure if the dimensions will be any different.

Intake. What intakes will fit or is that only dependent on the heads used? I'm uncertain at this moment if I'll be using my FAST 90mm or having a custom sheet metal intake built.

Fuel injectors, fuel rail, fuel pump, etc.?

Will my Kooks 1 7/8" headers fit?

How 'bout my Meziere electric race water pump?

ASP crank pulley?

Is this engine going to bolt up to my BMR tubular k-member?

Flexplate?

Starter?

To sum it all up, what will I be able to reuse off my LS1 motor and what will I need to change and/or modify?
Old 10-09-2006, 12:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The L92 Block and the LS1/LS2 blocks are almost identical.

If you bought a bare block you can do one of the following.

Option A. (NON-DOD L92 setup)
L92 shortblock
L92 Heads
L76 intake manifold with Fuel Rails (don't go with the L76 TB though as it's not cable driven)
custom grind cam (something with atleast 10 degree's larger on the exhaust lobe -vs- intake lobe). Example would be a 228/238 Extreme Energy Lobe design with a 113LSA.
LS2 Timing Chain Set (the L92 and LS2 have the timing sensor on the front of the motor)
LS1/LS2 Lifter Set (the L92/L76 lifter sets have 2 different types)
Block off the oil feeds for the solinoids in the valley between the heads.
L92 head gaskets
LS1 Long Tube Headers
90mm Throttle Body and Throttle Cable Bracket.
Everything else should be LS1 based equipment, alt, power steering, etc...
You'll probably have to mount a set of knock sensors to the outside of the block but that should give you a 376 cubic inch with the high flow L92 heads.

Option B. (L92 Shortblock with LS1/2/6 Heads)
L92 Shortblock
LS2 Timing Chain Set
LS1 cam
LS1/LS2 lifters
You favorite set of LS1/2/6 heads (OEM, aftermarket, it's your choice)
LS1, LS2, LS6, or aftermarket manifold (Fast, Wilson, Weind, hand fab'd).
L92 Head Gaskets
All of your favorite LS1 Fbody goodies (Headers, under drive pulley, alternator, power steering etc).
Again you'll need to mount the knock sensors on the outside of the motor.

If you go with a L92 setup you'll want a cam that has a larger exhaust lobe to optimize for the heads design (more of a brute force intake with a high velocity exhaust).

If you go with LS2 timing chain and cover you can use the Ls1/Ls2 style water pumps.

If you want go use the cam phaser that comes with the OEM L92 then you will need to use the L92's timing chain and cover and pump. To be honest I'm not sure if the LS1 style water pump will fit a vehicle with the cam phaser (oem l92 or l76 long blocks).

Hope that help'd...
Old 10-09-2006, 08:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your biggest catch is the L92s reluctor wheel.

everything else is easy.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

- Since the L92 head gaskets can be used to mate LS1/LS6 heads to the L92 block, am I correct in assuming the appropriate Cometic gasket will work as well?
- Will the current oem/ported LS1/LS6 throttle bodies work with the L76 intake? Does it matter which way the blade opens?
Old 10-17-2006, 04:26 AM
Banned

The stock L92 intake will outflow a ported Fast 90/90. That's the huge advantage to using the L92 heads in the first place. That and they're hella cheap for the performance.

Nate
Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

anyone know when will the intake will be out
Old 10-17-2006, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club NA

A stock L92 intake manifold will outflow a PORTED FAST 90mm intake? When you refer to the L92 intake, are you really meaning L76? I thought the L92 intake was the SUV intake that originally is on the motor which is put in the '07 Escalades that will NOT fit in our cars.

What about the LS2? How does a stock or even ported one compare to a ported FAST 90mm?

So if I have intentions to use my FAST 90mm which by the way isn't ported, I should get rid of it?

I'm torn right now between the L92 heads/L76 intake and aftermarket LSX heads/sheet metal intake. Will the L76 intake work on aftermarket LSX heads?

Last edited by Dragaholic; 10-17-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragaholic

I'm torn right now between the L92 heads/L76 intake and aftermarket LSX heads and sheet metal intake. Will the L76 intake work on aftermarket LSX heads?
You had me at sheetmetal intake
Old 10-17-2006, 02:28 PM
TECH Regular

ru making your own sheet metal intake
Old 10-17-2006, 02:47 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'll probably have Beck make it for me.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

about what does that run and good power?
Old 10-17-2006, 03:03 PM
9 Second Club NA

I'm not too familiar with details. I know him and Wilson are pretty popular dudes for making custom sheet metal intakes. I know its not cheap, but they perform really well. I don't think you could beat a custom intake built for your specific application. BUT, the right person has to do it.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club NA

-L92 block (Will accept LSX crank, rods, & pistons)
-L92 heads (Use L92 head gaskets)
-Aftermarket LSX heads (Use LSX head gaskets)
-L76 intake/L76 fuel rails (Either the FI or carb version or custom sheet metal; Can't use L76 TB as its not cable driven)
-LS1/2/6 or aftermarket LSX intake (What fuel rails? What TB?)
-Custom grind cam (Must have at least 10* difference in duration if using the L92 heads)
-LS2 timing set (Both LS2 & L92 have the cam sensor on the front of the motor) Who offers a nice aftermarket set for the LS2?
-Lifters (I'm a bit confused on this)
-Block off oil feeds in the valley for the solenoids? (I thought this was accomplished by using the LS2 valley cover?)
-LS1 headers (Currently have Kooks 1 7/8", will they be sufficient?)
-Meziere race electric WP, ASP crank pulley, alternator, and starter will all transfer over.

What about the timing cover? (LS1, LS2, or L92?)

What about the crank sensor? Is that dependent on the block or the aftermarket crank? As in, when I purchase one, do I have to specify that I need a 24x?

Knock sensors? Do I need to do the same thing I would do on a LS2? (Use LS1 knock sensors on the sides of the block w/extensions)

Oil pan? (LS1/2/6, L92, or LSX aftermarket? I need a pan that will prevent oil starvation)

Will my LS1 TCI flexplate work? What about my LS1 Protorque torque converter? What about my Trans-King TH350?
Old 10-19-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

-L92 block (Will accept LSX crank, rods, & pistons)
Yep, Yep, 4.060 or 4.065 piston and this will need to be decided on along with the head you plan on using.
-L92 heads (Use L92 head gaskets)
Or Comtec’s for a 4.060 bore LSx block
-Aftermarket LSX heads (Use LSX head gaskets)
Or Comtec’s for a 4.060 bore (yeah the oil and water valleys have not changed)
-L76 intake/L76 fuel rails (Either the FI or carb version or custom sheet metal; Can't use L76 TB as its not cable driven)
L76 intake with a Holley/Fast/Aftermarket 90mm TB that is cable driven along with a cable bracket (Holley’s comes with the bracket from what I here).
-LS1/2/6 or aftermarket LSX intake (What fuel rails? What TB?)
LS2 and L76 use the same rail’s and injectors if I’m not mistaken .
-Custom grind cam (Must have at least 10* difference in duration if using the L92 heads)

-LS2 timing set (Both LS2 & L92 have the cam sensor on the front of the motor) Who offers a nice aftermarket set for the LS2?
SDPC has a N-Motion Double roller for the LS2 for $84.

-Lifters (I'm a bit confused on this)
Use a set of performance LS1 Lifters for your engine build (Comp, Rhodes, GM performance, etc).

-Block off oil feeds in the valley for the solenoids? (I thought this was accomplished by using the LS2 valley cover?) –
Nope, you’ll need to seal the holes in the block, the valley cover just goes on after.

-LS1 headers (Currently have Kooks 1 7/8", will they be sufficient?)
Yep should work just fine

-Meziere race electric WP, ASP crank pulley, alternator, and starter will all transfer over.
Should just like swap’n an LS1 for an LS2.

What about the timing cover? (LS1, LS2, or L92?)
- Timing cover = LS2. Unless someone knows how to put the cam timing sensor into the L92 block.

What about the crank sensor? Is that dependent on the block or the aftermarket crank? As in, when I purchase one, do I have to specify that I need a 24x?
When you order your crank, just have them use the 24x Sensor that way you can use the stock LS1 computer.

Knock sensors? Do I need to do the same thing I would do on a LS2? (Use LS1 knock sensors on the sides of the block w/extensions) – yes just like the LS2

Oil pan? (LS1/2/6, L92, or LSX aftermarket? I need a pan that will prevent oil starvation)
Fbody oil pan will be needed for an Fbody, vette pan for vette, or a goat pan for a goat.

Will my LS1 TCI flexplate work? What about my LS1 Protorque torque converter? What about my Trans-King TH350?
Yes because the crank is the same as an LS1.

More thoughts…

Don't worry about the L92 lifters or the crank sensor if your are starting off with a bare block.

For the cam you'll really really want to check with people that have built motors with the L92 top end or have built up Ls7's as the intake and exhaust flow are very similar between the 2 heads.

Your questions a couple of reply's up about which is better between an ported LS2 and a Ported Fast is the Fast by 5hp across the power band. Ported LS2 -vs- unported Fast I'ld say the LS2 if ported correctly.

If you going with a man fab'd intake then it will outflow them all if built by the right person/company.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club NA

Pistons and head gaskets. The block has a 4.065" bore from the factory, why would I use anything less on the pistons and gaskets? Just wondering, not trying to be smart.

If I used the L92 or LS2 intake, then I would use the matching fuel rails with it. You state they use the same. What if I decide to reuse my FAST 90mm for now as I may not be able to afford a sheet metal just yet.

I have a Nick Williams 90mm throttle body, this will work right for whatever intake manifold I choose?

What are your thoughts on Morel lifters?

So how exactly do I seal these holes for the solenoids?

So what do I do about the cam sensor? You stated to use a LS2 timing cover, but you weren't sure what to do about the sensor.

So will a Canton oil pan work?

What's the best intake out there besides a custom sheet metal? I have an idea how much one costs and I'm almost sure that I won't be able to afford one at this time because of all the money that will be going into the motor.

I have yet to decide between the L92 heads/L76 heads or aftermarket LSX heads/intake?. There isn't much info out there on the first setup merely for the fact that only a selected few have the L76 intake in their possession.

Thanks for all the help so far. I really appreciate it.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Regular

fopa on the piston size... forgot about that .005"

L76 and LS2 Manifolds seem to use the same fuel rail and injector setup (I haven't seen the L76 lowprofile manifold first hand yet to verify).

If you have a Fast 90mm LSX manifold then just use that setup for now (that is if you have the fuel rails and injectors to go along with it).

The 90mm TB you have is for a Fast 90mm manifold correct (large 4 bolt connection). If yes then it should work on a L76 manifold (if you later go with L92 heads).

I have no experience with the Morel lifters, I was going to go with a set of Comp lifters on my build but talking to the guys at comp made me realized I didn't need them for my daily driver (yeah it is nice to have them intown, makes it easy to go over and pick there brains).

Hmmm....The Canton Oil pan: If that pan is made to fit the Fbody's K member and/or works with your current frame setup then yes it should work on the L92 block.
The bolt pattern on the bottom of the block has not changed.
You might need to check the Dipstick location (if its in the pan on the canton and the block has an opening then the block's opening will need to be plug'd I think that has to be done for the LS2's that are drop'd into the fbody's as well).

Sealing the openings in the valley... how's an easy way to put this.
You'll need headless bolts (the bolts that have an alan opening on one end and are threaded the whole length of the bolt) and some thread lock (3M's lock tight comes to mind).

Bolt example: If you've ever seen a set of comp or crane roller rockers... The bolts I'm talking about are the locking bolts that thread into the top of the rocker.
I do appologize as I can't think of the name for the actual part...

Cam Sensor will be identical to the LS2. The LS1 to LS2 conversion kits that are out usually have the sensor line extension included.
By the way....Who are you going through for the wiring kit? FAST, TPIS, Painless, hand fab'd, etc???

Yes I agree the information on the L92/L76 head performance is lacking -vs- enthusiasim for them.

If you already have a good set of LSx heads (ETP, AFR, RHS, Dart, Edelbrock, Trickflow, Patriot Pred's {heck I'm not sure they are available yet}, or a good set of ported 241's or 243's) then go with them for now and the Fast setup plus a good LSx grind cam.

It will probably be late winter/early spring when the L92/L76 top ends get track tested and proven.
Plus cam grindres need to figure out the optimum cam design to use with the new heads. Yes they can use the LS7 cam's as a base point but the heads are different due to valve angle and flow characteristics.

Hand fab'd manifolds are expensive and I have no idea what set of injectors/rails you would use with a hand fab'd (it should be one of the things they ask you when spec'n out the manifold).

Excuse the typo's as were kinda busy at work... were short a man this evening/morning...
Old 10-21-2006, 12:26 AM
9 Second Club NA

I do have the FAST 90mm intake. I assume I'm gona need to have it port matched to the heads?

I sold my stock LS1 fuel rail because I figured it wasn't support the power that the new setup is going to produce.

Injectors, well I used to have a set of SVO 30s, but I sold those as well because I assumed they weren't going to support the new power.

Nick Williams throttle body, not sure what you mean by large 4 bolt connection, but it does have 4 bolts to bolt it up to the manifold and one at the top center. Not sure if its a must that you use that 5th bolt hole, but I did just to play it safe.

Not sure I understand the dipstick part. I had the Canton in mind a long time ago, but I came across the Moroso on Speed Inc.'s website and it looks like a nicer piece. I haven't decided what I'm going to do there if I'm gona do an aftermarket pan with a wet sump or convert to a dry sump setup.

I know exactly what you're referring to about the bolts to seal the holes. But is it really necessary? What would happen if I didn't seal them up? I mean...the valley cover would cover it up.

What do you mean who am I going to use for a wiring kit? I didn't know that I was going to need one. I thought I just needed a LS2 wiring kit from like SDPC, Katech, etc. for the knock sensors and cam sensor.

I don't have a set of heads yet. I'm getting impatient waiting for the L92/L76 setup. I think I might as well spend more money now on a setup that's been out, is available, and has been proven. However, I really don't know what I should go with. I only say ETPs because it seems to be the company that is most talked about on this site. I really don't who stands on top between all the head manufacturers.

If its late winter or early spring before we see results, then that's too long because I want to have my setup done by then.

I can't thank you enough for all your help. Just curious, but how do you know so much about this block? Do you have one?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:06 AM
TECH Regular

hmm fast LSX intake but no fuel rails or injectors.... That leaves you open to alot of possibilies.

ETP's are good... Good enough for CompCam's Head division (RHS) to uses for there 11 degree 210cc and 225cc LS1 heads.

But they are expensive at around $1200 bare each to $3500 assembled for a pair (thats alot of green for a set of heads).

AFR was the first with an aftermarket set of heads for the LS1 and they are still one of the companies to beat performance wise.

Trickflow has finally released there LSx head, with the odd valve angle of 13.5 degree's. They had the advantage of looking at what has and has not worked over the last 7 years and finally released a product. Unfortunately I haven't seen any dyno listing of people using the Trickflow's.

Dart and Edlebrock have finally release LSx head designs that sound alot like... Ahem... Follow the leader (which was AFR again).

Patriot's Stage 2 and Stage 3 LS6 heads are hard to beat in the bang for the buck department. Complete set of heads including LS1 gaskets and gm head bolts for $1200 on average... yeah that's hard to beat no matter how you look at it.

When you factor in the price of heads to the motor that is where the L92 heads win out... Price close to Patriot Stage 2 LS6 heads with flow capabilities that are closer to a set of ETP's... That is what happens when GM decides to release a head based on the LS7 design for mass production.
Heck assembled with high end parts a set of L92's should be in the $1200 to $1400 range (thats for a pair).

L92 block... I wish I had one, I'ld love to make a 420 out of one and drop that into my goat.

Hell I'ld probably go to Lunati a have them take the Voodoo asymetrical lobe design and get them to put together a 234/248 113lsa with about a .640 to .645" lift (when using a set of 1.8" roller rockers).

Then again I'ld have them make the crank rod's and pistons as well (and see what they would charge for assembly as well) so it would be an expensive motor. Yep I figure about 4k for rotating assembly and another 2 to 3 for block, heads, and other goodies... ack a 8k to 9k motor before install, yeah I can't afford that right now (just went into debt on a new house).

Last edited by Bring the Noise; 10-21-2006 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Addict

If budget is a consideration, L-92/L-76 intake vs. Aftermarket Ls1/2 heads and Sheetmetal isn't even a comparison. You are looking at a 3k difference. You could go with a sheetmatal on a set of ported L-92's for less than the Ls1/2 based stuff, and you should be power ahead as well. JMHO
Old 10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club NA

Heads. Yes Patriots are hard to beat in the bang for the buck department, but I'm not necessarily looking for a budget head. What I'm looking for is, if you put all the aftermarket companies out there who produce LSX heads, who stands in front/on top? Of course, I would need a set of heads for my application. In other words, I don't need a set of heads that is optimized for a 454 cu. in. block.

So no suggestions as to what rails or injectors? Again I got rid of my stock LS1 rails and SVO 30s because I didn't think either one of them would support the new power.

So again, what did yo mean about wiring kit?

What would happen if I didn't seal those openings in the valley? I thought the valley cover would go right over it.

Can you elaborate on the dipstick issue?

The L92/L76 is a great option, but the lack of availability makes it hard to consider as a combo. One, the heads are on back order. Two, no one can seem to get their hands on the intake because supposely GM hasn't officially released it. Or, if you can get your hands on one, you're going to pay way more than what its going to sell for. Then, with the heads being so new, no one has had the time or experience with the heads to figure out how to maximize them with porting and polishing. I'm sure there's a lot of potential with the L92 heads and L76 intake, but its time for me to get my car rollin' again because that is approaching a whole years since I blew the engine.

L92 heads and a sheet metal intake sounds like a good idea, but why put a set of stock L92 heads and have a custom fabbed intake built for it when later down the road aftermarket companies are going to create CNC programs for the L92 heads, then the intake will pretty much be useless because there is more to gain out of the heads. Once you've reworked the L92 heads, then the specs of the intake don't match because they were built around a stock form head.

Quick Reply: L92 in a LS1 F-body?