Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Heads/cam questions help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heads/cam questions help needed

I was reading thought Dec. issue of Chevy High Performance and think I finally found the right heads for me.
They are by RHS.

I am looking to get RHS™ PRO ELITE™ GM GEN III heads with .650" lift but am undecided on the cam. I want something streetable. Strip doesn't matter much.

Also, can someone explain why the 225cc won't fit a 5.7l LS1? They are both the same dimensions but different intake runners.

Now the cams:
Do I go with Comp Cams XR265HR 212/218 ~ 0.522”/0.050” 114 LSA (as they tested with the heads) or will a slightly more aggressive but still moderate cam such as Comp Cams XR269HR 216/220 ~.525/.532" 114 LSA net a little more power with the heads?
I am still learning the ins and outs of how heads/cams work together so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

My plans:
I will be running the car N/A for a year or so, eventually adding a Procharger DSC1 (possibly after next deployement). So, in short I need to get the right set of heads and cam on the first try. I can't afford to do head swaps every year or so.

Current exhuast mods:
Jet Hot headers (1 3/4"x3") with 3" ORY, 3" intermediate, 3" over axle and SLP 2.5" DCME (345hp package).

Current intake mods:
SLP CAI, Whisper CF lid, Holly Powershot filter, self descreened and ported MAF, SLP smooth bellow and self ported TB (I love the free mods).

Predator tuned and 160*stat
Old 11-15-2006, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

What motor do you have?

Edit: LS1 I assume? Wrong forum then. :o

The cams you listed are badly mismatched for those heads. They'll suffocate them. You'll want quite a bit more lift and a little more duration and it'll still be very streetable. You can always ask Bret to make you a cam.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:17 PM
Banned

If you want to pay 2800 dollars for a set of heads then go right ahead. It's a bad investment if you ask me considering what other companies offer for less money. Those are ETP castings with RHS CNC program but I doubt you'll make the same power as the ETP's for 500 bucks more.

If you are looking for the baddest heads on the market look no further than AFR 205's, TFS, or the TSP Terminators, all of which are greatly cheaper than the RHS offerings.

Your cam choices are all mismatched for any of those heads. Get a custom grind or at least into the 220's on both sides with a higher lift to take advantage of all that flow.

Actually just call TSP or TEA and give them a check and tell them what your goals are. They'll get a lot closer than you will.

Nate
Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nate_Taufer
If you want to pay 2800 dollars for a set of heads then go right ahead. It's a bad investment if you ask me considering what other companies offer for less money. Those are ETP castings with RHS CNC program but I doubt you'll make the same power as the ETP's for 500 bucks more.

If you are looking for the baddest heads on the market look no further than AFR 205's, TFS, or the TSP Terminators, all of which are greatly cheaper than the RHS offerings.

Your cam choices are all mismatched for any of those heads. Get a custom grind or at least into the 220's on both sides with a higher lift to take advantage of all that flow.

Actually just call TSP or TEA and give them a check and tell them what your goals are. They'll get a lot closer than you will.

Nate

+1 and that cam is so weak. You can go much larger and still keep it streetable. Talk to some of the site sponsors. They will help you out and won't just take your money. For head and cam I recommend Thunder Racing, hands down. Give Paul or David a call.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks everyone and sorry for posting the the wrong forum. I might have clicked the wrong link.

I wish the article from Chevy High Performance magazine was online. It was called Head Games. December 2006 issue page 48
They put out 529hp 488lbtq with 3" magnaflows, Fast intake, 78 mm tb, comp cams xr265ht .522/.529, 212/218 114* and RHS 210cc heads

Last edited by -=Modified=-; 11-15-2006 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

AFR does have some attractive prices. Do there heads hold up pretty well?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:05 PM
Banned

Do a search in the dyno section for AFR. You'll see many repeatable results. Also you don't have to spend 2500 dollars to get a set of heads to perform. Many vendors do an excellent job of porting stock castings to make huge power. Hell Tea's stage 1.5 5.3 heads are probably the best price/performance head on the market and they're only 1200 bucks or so.

Read through the dyno forum on here for a few weeks to get an idea of what combos put down the numbers. Better yet read the drag racing results section and see what heads get it done on the track. That is the true test.

Nate

Quick Reply: Heads/cam questions help needed