Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

New GM LSx iron block and heads on 1969 Camaro, 454cu in, 641 hp...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 10:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
**** the pump gas.. there's so much more power to be made with an engine this size and race gas... why stop at 700... mine as well go for it and aim for 800+ rwhp on motor

Face it... even an 700 hp all motor setup isn't getting driven every day, probably will only see 2000 miles a year at most, so why not feed it real fuel?
Well for one, for me anyway, availability (or lack thereof). I'm gonna stick to pump gas.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Well for one, for me anyway, availability (or lack thereof). I'm gonna stick to pump gas.

Me to, with a minimal goal of 700 rwhp, which should be easy with an 11 to 1 compression 482 cubic inch LSX motor, killer heads and aggessive but not stupid cam, driven a minimum of 5000 miles a year in my Z06. Becasue after all, life is just to darn short not to follow your passions!!

DHdenney:

Great avatar BRO!!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a couple options at this point or fuel.. a place near my parents sells a 105 unleaded which is what I've been running for the remainder of this year, but next year I am planning on having a drum delivered to my home.

I'm sure if you go to your local drag strip or circle track, you will find someone that carries race gas in your area.

It's your motor and your goals... but running on a good fuel at those power levels makes getting there ALOT easier.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:13 AM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by Armageddon
I saw a thread on something, I can't remember but it was crank related. Actually it had to do with Eagle Vs Callies cranks as far as being worth the expense. One of the Callies reps got on and was talking about new products. Their magnum line or whatever it is, the more high end version you can get the 4.5" in today. I'm sure they'll offer the more budget brands in the larger stroke when the production blocks make the larger stroke more readily available for use. I'm stoked!
Here's a link to the thread you're refering to:
Callies/Compstar info The Magnum is in fact available in a 4.500" stroke. Lead time on these is around 8 weeks, so if you are interested in one for an upcoming project, keep that in mind.
I do believe the Compstar forging will allow a 4.250" stroke, which will eventually become available. We have completed the design work on two different "tall deck rods", which will be available sometime in February.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe Racer
Here's a link to the thread you're refering to:
Callies/Compstar info The Magnum is in fact available in a 4.500" stroke. Lead time on these is around 8 weeks, so if you are interested in one for an upcoming project, keep that in mind.
I do believe the Compstar forging will allow a 4.250" stroke, which will eventually become available. We have completed the design work on two different "tall deck rods", which will be available sometime in February.
Not to beat a dead horse, but only the Magnum and the XL line will have the big 4.5"?
Old 12-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Teching In

You are correct. The only way to get that big of a stroke in the LSX Motor is to go with either the Magnum or the Magnum XL. I really wouldn't even recommend the XL on that long of stroke since all the weight we would take out the crank would have to be added back into the crank in heavy metal for it to balance. Of coarse if money is no object we could make any stroke wanted in a billet crankshaft also but your looking at crankshaft in the $3200 or better price range.
The longest stroke Compstar crank we will have is 4.250. These will be available sometime around late Feb. to March.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bap@Callies/Compstar
You are correct. The only way to get that big of a stroke in the LSX Motor is to go with either the Magnum or the Magnum XL. I really wouldn't even recommend the XL on that long of stroke since all the weight we would take out the crank would have to be added back into the crank in heavy metal for it to balance. Of coarse if money is no object we could make any stroke wanted in a billet crankshaft also but your looking at crankshaft in the $3200 or better price range.
The longest stroke Compstar crank we will have is 4.250. These will be available sometime around late Feb. to March.
Hmm might have to stick to the Compstar to keep this budget friendly! Will this 4.25" Compstar be the Comet listed on the site that weighs <43 lbs? If not, what is the target weight? Can you share with us preliminary pricing? Thanks for the info!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by bap@Callies/Compstar
OK I found another one of your posts where you stated the weight will come in at 48-50 lbs for Compstar cranks. Will the LSx cranks be offered in a Comet series? Will the Comet LSx crank come in 4.25" stroke? Your other post also stated the Compstar would be stock stroke and 4.00" only.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Veteran

bump...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Bump again, I wanna know if the Compstar crank is gonna be 4.00" or 4.25".
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM
...with cheese.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even if Callies only wants to offer the Magnum Series in the 4.5" stroke I'm sure other companies will offer more affordable options. Eagle comes to mind... I'm putting money in the bank and watching things develop.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by dhdenney
Bump again, I wanna know if the Compstar crank is gonna be 4.00" or 4.25".
Initially, meaning sometime in January, they'll be available in 4.000". Sometime around late February, there will be other strokes, including 4.250"
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Joe Racer
Initially, meaning sometime in January, they'll be available in 4.000". Sometime around late February, there will be other strokes, including 4.250"
Thanks. I know I had read where bap@Callies/Compstar had said only 4.000" and then he said 4.250" so I wasn't sure. I might stick to the 4.250" crank just to keep it budget friendly and away from bad rod/stroke ratios with the big 4.5000".

Quick Reply: New GM LSx iron block and heads on 1969 Camaro, 454cu in, 641 hp...