Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L-92 vs LS7 block strength

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-92 vs LS7 block strength

Besides the actual cubic inch advantage, is the LS7 block that much stronger? If so, where and why? Do any advantages of the LS7 block when being used in a wet sump application justify the extra price of the LS7 block?

We're planning a nice strong 418-427ci setup for a C5 and the plan is to have an extremely stout, reliable bottom end that will see some heavy nitrous and possibly boost in the future. We want to make sure to do all of our homework before spending money on parts.

I know the L-92s haven't had much of a chance to prove themselves, but any input is appreciated here.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:43 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I'd go L92 if budget is anything of a concern. The LS7 is weak compared to a resleeved LS2 (which costs about the same). Or, you could go for the new GMPP iron block coming soon. It will be strongest of all and only a bit more expensive than the LS7 if you are needing something to support an F2 Procharger or something.

Since the LS7 has fairly weak iron liners and less material between the cylinders (while using the same aluminum block as the LS2), I'd think a regular LS2 would be stronger than the LS7 even if the liners were the same strength. If the L92 is as strong as the LS2 (but I don't know - I think I've read it's a different casting, but who knows if it's actually stronger), then we have our answer.

Last edited by JakeFusion; 12-07-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Since the LS7 has fairly weak iron liners and less material between the cylinders (while using the same aluminum block as the LS2)
... using the same block? Weak liners? Really? Please elaborate...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Veteran

ls2 and ls7... not same aluminum block.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As of right now we'd be willing to come up with the extra dough for the LS7 block, but we're looking to find out if its actually worth it.
Thanks for the input so far guys...
Old 12-08-2006, 09:35 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
... using the same block? Weak liners? Really? Please elaborate...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=1

I don't know how accurate this information is, but that's what I remembered when I posted last night. I just went and found this post, however.

Also, Steve from RED says this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....02&postcount=5

He knows more than I, even if he wants to sell a Darton liner. I believe for most people the LS7 will work (or the L92), but for extremely high boost, one might look to a Darton MID or C5R or GMPP or Warhawk block.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Has anyone inspected an L92 block in as much detail as the LS7 block shown in the above threads?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS7 has steel main caps and push in type sleeves. It would be stronger than the L92 which is still a very nice block. Depending on your power level waiting for the GMPP iron block may be better.

Kurt
Old 12-08-2006, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 427
The LS7 has steel main caps and push in type sleeves. It would be stronger than the L92 which is still a very nice block. Depending on your power level waiting for the GMPP iron block may be better.

Kurt
Hmmm....could the steel mains of the LS7 block be used on an L92? This seems like it could be a bad *** budget setup for a nice 650-700 hp combo.
Thanks for the info Kurt.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:16 AM
On The Tree

My GM High Performance Parts catalog's at home... so I'm going by recall.

I think GM shows the max. recommended horsepower for various blocks including the LS7. As I recall... the LS7 block had the highest HP. rating of the LS blocks, excluding the C-5R/C-6R blocks.

Maybe someone has the catalog at hand.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....76&postcount=1

I don't know how accurate this information is, but that's what I remembered when I posted last night. I just went and found this post, however.

Also, Steve from RED says this:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....02&postcount=5

He knows more than I, even if he wants to sell a Darton liner. I believe for most people the LS7 will work (or the L92), but for extremely high boost, one might look to a Darton MID or C5R or GMPP or Warhawk block.
The LS7 is not the same casting of the LS2... and that has been proven on this forum too. Doing your own independant research, instead of reading and regurgitating internet hype, will confirm that. Once you find out for yourself accurate information then maybe you'll reconsider your statement the LS7 block is weak.
Aftermarket sleeving with superior quality sleeves will no doubt strenghthen and already strong block. No argument there And the other blocks you mention are most definitely solid foundations to building ultimate horsepower. But for the recently mentioned expected horsepower and LS7 or a sleeved LS2, to obtain up the 427 requirement here, would be more than plenty.

Bill
Old 12-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

Bill,
You are right on! The LS7 block was designed after the LS2, and designed for a higher hp level from the get-go.

I don't think anyone can argue that the Darton sleeves are stronger when compared to the stock LS7 sleeves. Material selection and bore wall thickness provide that answer.

However, there is no way that you can prove that removing the entire original cylinder bore material (material that connects the main bearing bulkheads to the deck face) and then pressing in a sleeve, a sleeve that for the most part is "floating" in space (I know, it's really compressed between the head and the machined land at the bottom of the bore once the engine is assembled) is stronger in terms of being able to withstand more load than the original block.

FEA would prove that resleeveing an LS2 block for 4.125 bore sleeve is weaker than the LS7 that is designed for the 4.125 sleeve and is weaker than the original LS2 block.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is what I'm reading here telling me that it basically boils down to which bore size I'd prefer, as both blocks are fully capable of supporting the expected power levels here? What if we decided we needed an extra 100 horses in the future, is 750 at the wheels out of the question with the L92?

Really hoping this does not turn into a 'they're all the same block' pissing match gentlemen.
Thanks for all the responses so far...keep em coming!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LSX Wizard
Bill,
You are right on! The LS7 block was designed after the LS2, and designed for a higher hp level from the get-go.

I don't think anyone can argue that the Darton sleeves are stronger when compared to the stock LS7 sleeves. Material selection and bore wall thickness provide that answer.

However, there is no way that you can prove that removing the entire original cylinder bore material (material that connects the main bearing bulkheads to the deck face) and then pressing in a sleeve, a sleeve that for the most part is "floating" in space (I know, it's really compressed between the head and the machined land at the bottom of the bore once the engine is assembled) is stronger in terms of being able to withstand more load than the original block.

FEA would prove that resleeveing an LS2 block for 4.125 bore sleeve is weaker than the LS7 that is designed for the 4.125 sleeve and is weaker than the original LS2 block.
Wiz, not out to try and prove anything other than to suggest research and that the LS7 block is not weak. As far as the resleeving process... I have never had a problem with it in wet or dry applications. If you state that resleeving is weaker... well... then OK. I won't argue with you. It has worked for me in the past and I wouldn't hesitate to consider it as an option for my own personal vehicle. However, recent price lowering of the LS7 block and future release of the LSX iron block really have me thinking that either of those would be an excellant start to a high horsepower project... within a given budget of course. There are some fantastic options out there for folks shopping... and in the end its their decision and their money. What I know after my own research would make me personally feel better about spending hard earned money... that is reading more than internet sites or magazines. Talk to machinests... more than one... and determine for YOURSELF best product within set budget.

Its all good

Bill
Old 12-08-2006, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing your own independant research, instead of reading and regurgitating internet hype, will confirm that. Once you find out for yourself accurate information then maybe you'll reconsider your statement the LS7 block is weak.
I could be mistaken, but I didn't see him say the LS7 block is weak unless it was in a different reply. The sleeves seem to be. And the person who showed they are is the best in the business with probably more experience working with cylinder blocks than everyone on this site combined.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

What is FEA?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 11 Bravo
I could be mistaken, but I didn't see him say the LS7 block is weak unless it was in a different reply. The sleeves seem to be. And the person who showed they are is the best in the business with probably more experience working with cylinder blocks than everyone on this site combined.
Read post #2. As far as the rest of what you said... its pretty ballsy of you but I won't argue . I will say that there is ALOT of block building experience floating around this forum on top of who you are referring to ... and tapping ALL that knowledge along with doing some foot work yourself would be great research.

Bill
Old 12-08-2006, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The cost of re-sleeving any of these blocks would put this out of the 'budget' theme of the build. My question is concerning the as cast/sleeved strenth of these block as they are available from GM. I would surely consider the L92 block over the LS2 simply for the added bore size, and the LS7 would be the choice if it is truly that much stronger.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read post #2.
Gotcha. But even there is looks like he is refering to the factory liners. I personally don't think any LS* block is weak.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Bill,
I think there some misunderstanding...... I wasn't picking on you, and you never said the LS7 was weak. I was actually looking at the beginning part of your post where you said that the LS2 and LS7 are very different blocks and where you challenged JakeFusion who said it was weak.

What I continuously read in this forum is how weak the LS7 block is ( ) compared to a resleeved LS2. I have yet to deal with LS7's that have broken sleeves. I must be lucky I guess. Maybe I'm missing something somewhere, or maybe I'm reading into something. I know that Jason from Katech has made it quite clear that their testing does not support a lot of the claims made here.

I agree with you that each individual has to make a conscious decision as to the parts they are willing to live with at the end of the day. I would personally never use a LS2 with the large bore sleeves for reasons stated in my earlier post. I personally would use (prior to release of the GMPP LSX and the World Warhawk) the C5R for large bore high hp applications. With the new parts that are now (soon to be) here, I'm no longer locked into that deal.

gun5l1ng3r,
FEA is Finite Element Analysis..... a way of computing the stresses and deflections of a component

Quick Reply: L-92 vs LS7 block strength