Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Just Balanced 402 Rotating Assembly from SDPC

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Just Balanced 402 Rotating Assembly from SDPC

I just wanted to post and let everyone know how the balance went. There is always talk around about how hard it can be to balance with Eagle cranks. My balance went fine, and the crank only needed to be drilled. Fine other than having to sharpen the drill bit about 50 times, that is, due to the hardness of the crank.

It was an 4" Eagle crank, Scat rods, with SDPC -14 cc Diamond pistons. The thing balanced great. Hopefully I will have it bolted together by New Years.

-Geoff
Old 12-18-2006, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I just wanted to post and let everyone know how the balance went. There is always talk around about how hard it can be to balance with Eagle cranks. My balance went fine, and the crank only needed to be drilled. Fine other than having to sharpen the drill bit about 50 times, that is, due to the hardness of the crank.

It was an 4" Eagle crank, Scat rods, with SDPC -14 cc Diamond pistons. The thing balanced great. Hopefully I will have it bolted together by New Years.

-Geoff
SWEET! keep us informed...
Old 12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good to hear, especially since I'll be taking an Eagle crank to my engine builder who does not like Eagle stuff.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just had my Eagle balanced with no problems. I think the main problem comes down to unskilled operator shortcomings.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryan02SS
I just had my Eagle balanced with no problems. I think the main problem comes down to unskilled operator shortcomings.
I agree. In fact, I am starting to believe the whole "Eagle balance problem" is just a myth, or at least based on some early crankshafts and not on what is in the market today. My guy knew it would balance with just drilling right after he calculated the bob-weights. I have a hunch that SDPC may have set up the reciprocating mass to make it happen like this too.

-Geoff
Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by White_Hawk
I agree. In fact, I am starting to believe the whole "Eagle balance problem" is just a myth, or at least based on some early crankshafts and not on what is in the market today. My guy knew it would balance with just drilling right after he calculated the bob-weights. I have a hunch that SDPC may have set up the reciprocating mass to make it happen like this too.

-Geoff
Well, Im sure if you post this in a different section you will get a better answer. But I can tell you early on the cranks were light on target bob weight (and few reluctor issues) which is what caused the most of the balance issues. They still have issues on heavy bob weight rotating (Hd FI applications) assemblies that require adding Mallory at $100 a slug.

Dave

Quick Reply: Just Balanced 402 Rotating Assembly from SDPC