Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Slp Zl-402 ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car started using oil after i did my H/C swap (about a quart every 1000 mi.). How can everyone automatically assume it's always the short block?
Old 12-25-2006, 05:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 429 Mustang
And the hits just keep on coming...tried to warn ya. Now there's a sound bite posted for all to hear what they can potentially expect from their SLP engine.

Thats dirt man The fact of the matter is these are performance motors with a lot of other company parts install in them. There is no 100% on built parts from anybody. GM came out with the ls1 in the vette look at all the mods they had to do with it. If it was 100% done right then there would be no changes to it. And the guy that apparently blew his motor in a parking lot come on Half of you guys dont know what the hell he was doing, how he brok in the motor the condition of his other parts he put on there. Just a simple fact he put parts off his old motor wich blew up and sent shrapnel in his intake and heads but he put them on a new short block . The point is if all the sponsers made their own crank,piston,berings,rods,and block and they fail then its on the sponser But the F... SLP band wagon marches on and its pointless. I got a friend with an 05 GTO going through the same mess from HPE, Hell I orderd some comp r lifters from summit and 3 of them had scars on the rollers,But do you hear me starting a F...comps thread? No they make them they replaced them **** happens. I know a few people who had bad luck with other sponsers but you will barley here about it. Now I do own a SLP zl402 Block and it was all in spec a guy that builds pro outlaw cars did the break down and said he like the work SLP put into the block, But I got greedy and had it stroked to a 422. Now Slp does or did have poor customer service but that stuff changed. We all need to grow up can you honestly say you never heard a bad thing with any of the sponsers on this sight?????????
Old 12-25-2006, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You bring up Comp, well I got a bad cam from them, not hardened properly. I made one phone call to them explained the situation and they sent me a new cam of my choosing, free, and a new set of lifters for 1/2 price. If you think that Ed Hamburger who owns SLP would do that you're mistaken. It all comes down to attitude, SLP has a bad attitude, and that's why I'm done giving them my $, and I've thousands with them over the years.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
We all need to grow up can you honestly say you never heard a bad thing with any of the sponsers on this sight?????????

???

And that is a good reason for consumers to feel ok about being screwed-over by a vendor??? Just because another/other vendors have done it also???

Last edited by SideStep; 12-25-2006 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is it GM never installs forged pistons in any of their production vehicles? Even the new ls7 427 has cast pistons. Is it because tighter fitting cast pistons reduce piston slap sounds and oil consumption?

What we really need is a good aftermarket large bore/stroker cast piston for our naturally asperated street driven cars.

Last edited by gollum; 12-25-2006 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by bigdsz
You bring up Comp, well I got a bad cam from them, not hardened properly. I made one phone call to them explained the situation and they sent me a new cam of my choosing, free, and a new set of lifters for 1/2 price. If you think that Ed Hamburger who owns SLP would do that you're mistaken. It all comes down to attitude, SLP has a bad attitude, and that's why I'm done giving them my $, and I've thousands with them over the years.

Could not have said it better myself.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SideStep
???

And that is a good reason for consumers to feel ok about being screwed-over by a vendor??? Just because another/other vendors have done it also???

By all means no, When it comes to SLP I see one sidedness all the time. I dont work for SLP, and only bought a few things from them,But Im not going to bash them just because somebody else did. If that where the case I can honestly bash 8 sponsers on this sight alone But you know what I bigger than that.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bigdsz
See that is my point there are no others involved in the making of that cam, comp made comp replace it SLP could learn from this. PR can make or break a buisness SLP has alot of ground to make up on PR all I am saying is give them a chance
Old 12-26-2006, 09:24 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I am still trying to understand why they will not allow you to use a credit card to purchase the motor? I'm guessing it's because of the 'incident' where the consumer felt the last ditch effort was to dispute the charges with the credit card company in order to get some kind of resolution.

To me, as a consumer who is local to SLP, this is a really bad sign to me and speaks volumes that they refuse to accept credit cards. It tells me that they are afraid of possible problems and don't want to have to deal with a credit card company getting involved in the dispute.

I wish that SLP would reconsider this as I would use a credit card specifically to get the bonus points. I never carry a balance, so that's not the issue, but knowing I have a credit card company behind me in case of a dispute is a comforting fact.

What next, you'll only accept small, unmarked bills in a brown paper bag left by a garbage can in a dark alley??? Do you see GM performance parts or SDPC saying they won't accept credit cards?

Think big, act proffesionally, and offer your customers more than they expect and I think you will be surprised at how your reputation will be repaired.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I am still trying to understand why they will not allow you to use a credit card to purchase the motor? I'm guessing it's because of the 'incident' where the consumer felt the last ditch effort was to dispute the charges with the credit card company in order to get some kind of resolution.

To me, as a consumer who is local to SLP, this is a really bad sign to me and speaks volumes that they refuse to accept credit cards. It tells me that they are afraid of possible problems and don't want to have to deal with a credit card company getting involved in the dispute.

I wish that SLP would reconsider this as I would use a credit card specifically to get the bonus points. I never carry a balance, so that's not the issue, but knowing I have a credit card company behind me in case of a dispute is a comforting fact.

What next, you'll only accept small, unmarked bills in a brown paper bag left by a garbage can in a dark alley??? Do you see GM performance parts or SDPC saying they won't accept credit cards?

Think big, act proffesionally, and offer your customers more than they expect and I think you will be surprised at how your reputation will be repaired.

I'm not on the "SLP is crap" bandwagon... but this is the most valid point made in this whole thread. SLP IS trying to avoid the situation of chargebacks because even they know, even IF you build everything with the best parts and have some top guys building them.. there WILL be human errors in assembly.. maybe not all the time.. but they will happen.. and this states to me.. that SLP refuses to concede this notion.. and if something goes wrong.. you're NOT getting your hard earned money back.. even if its their fault.

If they are THAT confident in their product.. then show it..
Old 12-26-2006, 11:52 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Harmon
CobraKiller,

Thanks for your post, it gives me some encouragement! Are you in the Bay Area?

Chuck
Sorry. I'm in West Palm Beach, FL.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
I'm not on the "SLP is crap" bandwagon... but this is the most valid point made in this whole thread. SLP IS trying to avoid the situation of chargebacks because even they know, even IF you build everything with the best parts and have some top guys building them.. there WILL be human errors in assembly.. maybe not all the time.. but they will happen.. and this states to me.. that SLP refuses to concede this notion.. and if something goes wrong.. you're NOT getting your hard earned money back.. even if its their fault.

If they are THAT confident in their product.. then show it..
Dam good point I hope somebody from slp is reading this post. We are the consumers if we are not happy your business will suffer So I say change your ways and put out a good product and back the hell out of it. lets say a 414 or 427 with a warrenty if installed by you and some type of agreement for other local performance shops who would install them. Maby a 90 day warrenty for part failures or such.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Outlawz Racing,

I have been reading and responding since the start of this post please see all my posts above.

Good Afternoon All,

Some factual information for everyone:

Warranty: 90 Days on all engines and engine components. We have it in writing on our website. Please find it here. http://www.slponline.com/warranty_information.asp.

Credit Cards: This is not the first time SLP has sold engine assemblies. In the past uneducated customers assembled their engines in their garage leaving oil galley plugs out, installing cam gear thrust bearings backwards, installing too long pushrods, leaving stock injectors and pumps, and mechanically over-revving (3-2 shifts); and this was all SLP’s fault for not providing instructions on how to build engines or how to drive a car. This is the reason for no credit cards on motors. Know that there are warranties in writing, and NO ONE has ever been taken advantage of if something has happened to their SLP motor. There is no reason for SLP to leave customers behind. It is bad business and it does not happen at SLP.

429 Mustang: The hits can come. What members will see from posting here on LS1 Tech, is that SLP will and is helping Chuck. They can witness great customer service and a resolution to a problem. What you are forgetting is that vehicles can be fixed no matter what the problem. We are talking metal and plastic here not flesh and blood. Ignoring something does not make it go away.

I have already spoken to Chuck on the phone. A plan will be in place on the 3rd when I return to send Chuck's vehicle to a shop in the Bay area and have a rod piston assembly removed for measurement. SLP WILL BE PAYING FOR THIS, DO NOT QUESTION THIS.

SLP is responding and helping customers while SLP is closed for the holidays. Everyone seems to be missing this point and the point that SLP is helping and will be helping Chuck resolve any and all issues with the engine.

We have helped all customers who may have had any engine issues. A very small number, counted on less then one hand. Be it SLP's fault or the customer. Yes customers do make mistakes too. (see above)

SLP has some of the longest warranties in the industry. If not the longest. This is ALL in writing in the new catalog and the web site. Again we offer a 3 year 36000 mile warranty on most performance pacs and a 5 year 50,000 mile on others. We have, we currently do, and we will replace parts at no charge if the part fails. Just like comp.

Customers who have an issue. PM me your customer name, customer number and ph number and I will make sure one of our sales staff responds immediately upon their return from the holidays. If you post that you hate SLP because they are “screwing” you and you do not try to contact anyone then shame on you. No one can help if you do not ask for help.

All employees of SLP love cars and love to modify them. This is our lively hood. We have no reason to try and leave customers behind. Members of LS1 tech who post that SLP does not care are trying to stir the pot for no good reason but boredom. Again, LS1 tech should be used to get in contact with their sponsors, resolve technical questions, and brag about the power they make.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Have a happy and fun new year.

Hank
Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SLPPower
Outlawz Racing,

I have been reading and responding since the start of this post please see all my posts above.

Good Afternoon All,

Some factual information for everyone:

Warranty: 90 Days on all engines and engine components. We have it in writing on our website. Please find it here. http://www.slponline.com/warranty_information.asp.

Credit Cards: This is not the first time SLP has sold engine assemblies. In the past uneducated customers assembled their engines in their garage leaving oil galley plugs out, installing cam gear thrust bearings backwards, installing too long pushrods, leaving stock injectors and pumps, and mechanically over-revving (3-2 shifts); and this was all SLP’s fault for not providing instructions on how to build engines or how to drive a car. This is the reason for no credit cards on motors. Know that there are warranties in writing, and NO ONE has ever been taken advantage of if something has happened to their SLP motor. There is no reason for SLP to leave customers behind. It is bad business and it does not happen at SLP.

429 Mustang: The hits can come. What members will see from posting here on LS1 Tech, is that SLP will and is helping Chuck. They can witness great customer service and a resolution to a problem. What you are forgetting is that vehicles can be fixed no matter what the problem. We are talking metal and plastic here not flesh and blood. Ignoring something does not make it go away.

I have already spoken to Chuck on the phone. A plan will be in place on the 3rd when I return to send Chuck's vehicle to a shop in the Bay area and have a rod piston assembly removed for measurement. SLP WILL BE PAYING FOR THIS, DO NOT QUESTION THIS.

SLP is responding and helping customers while SLP is closed for the holidays. Everyone seems to be missing this point and the point that SLP is helping and will be helping Chuck resolve any and all issues with the engine.

We have helped all customers who may have had any engine issues. A very small number, counted on less then one hand. Be it SLP's fault or the customer. Yes customers do make mistakes too. (see above)

SLP has some of the longest warranties in the industry. If not the longest. This is ALL in writing in the new catalog and the web site. Again we offer a 3 year 36000 mile warranty on most performance pacs and a 5 year 50,000 mile on others. We have, we currently do, and we will replace parts at no charge if the part fails. Just like comp.

Customers who have an issue. PM me your customer name, customer number and ph number and I will make sure one of our sales staff responds immediately upon their return from the holidays. If you post that you hate SLP because they are “screwing” you and you do not try to contact anyone then shame on you. No one can help if you do not ask for help.

All employees of SLP love cars and love to modify them. This is our lively hood. We have no reason to try and leave customers behind. Members of LS1 tech who post that SLP does not care are trying to stir the pot for no good reason but boredom. Again, LS1 tech should be used to get in contact with their sponsors, resolve technical questions, and brag about the power they make.

Hope everyone had a great holiday.

Have a happy and fun new year.

Hank

I think that is all anyone can hope for. I think that was a sincere post and hopefully through this whole thread all the issues with SLP can be resolved. SLP is a site sponsor and do agree tht any problem we do have should be to them directly as bad posts can give others the wrong impression. I would personally like to see some good sponsor feedback for all the site sponsors. They are the ones that alow us to come to this site and all the benifits it has to offer. I would hate to see sponsors start leaving because of things like this. It would increase cost for parts and just would not be the same site imo.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gollum
What we really need is a good aftermarket large bore/stroker cast piston for our naturally asperated street driven cars.
that's a great idea!

lighter parts, less oil consumption for n/a cars.
good thinking.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for clearing up some issues that were left beind for you to deal with.

I give you credit and hopefully SLP moves forward and will continue to be a positive influence on the LS1tech community.

Personally, my brother in law is a Master Mechanic with 25 years of experience building engines and servicing various different makes and models. If/when I decide to go to a bigger motor, I would have him do the removal / install and SLP looks like a good choice for a 402.

Who knows. Times change and it looks like you guys are taking care of past issues which is a good thing for the future.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

For the money i would go with the TSP 402 with their PRC heads
Old 12-27-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default I'm local if you want to look at mine!

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Thanks for clearing up some issues that were left beind for you to deal with.

I give you credit and hopefully SLP moves forward and will continue to be a positive influence on the LS1tech community.

Personally, my brother in law is a Master Mechanic with 25 years of experience building engines and servicing various different makes and models. If/when I decide to go to a bigger motor, I would have him do the removal / install and SLP looks like a good choice for a 402.

Who knows. Times change and it looks like you guys are taking care of past issues which is a good thing for the future.
Hey Alchemist,

I've got one sitting in my garage right now if you (or your brother in law) want a closer look. I'm just waiting to complete my Honey-Do list before I drop the driveline in my C5.

It's got a Callies crank, Manley Rods & Pistons. Manley is located close to SLP (in Jersey).

Bob K.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Update on my SLP 402

I have been in regular contact with Hank at SLP since my posting shortly before Christmas. True to his word, he paid to have my engine looked at, dropping a rod and piston for inspection. The problem was two fold. The brand new GM block was a larger than standard bore. The second problem was that the assembler of the engine should have caught this. I don't think this will happen again! Hank told me that they have already checked engines in inventory to make sure that no others will have this same problem. None were found, but I have no doubt that they will take every precaution to make sure that this does not happen again.

SLP is getting me a brand new engine and covering the costs of the procedure. I have to say that SLP has been a class act from the very beginning with this. I gave them the opportunity to establish the real cause of the problem and they fully stepped up to the plate in making it right by me.

They will be having a GM rep go over my engine and pistons once my motor is returned to them. I am sure that GM will be stepping up to the plate as well. I am very satisfied with the way SLP has treated me!

Chuck
Old 01-05-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I glad to hear that SLP is taking responsibility for the bad short block, but I will almost guarantee you had you not aired your "dirty laundry" on this site, nothing would have happened. By the way the 90 day warranty sucks, period. I would think that by the time most guys take delivery and get things put back together a good bit of the 90 days is gone. I'm getting a 408 built built by a sponsor that has a 24,000 mile warranty as long as power adders aren't used. I am going to have to read a lot more positive threads about SLP before they get me to do business with them again.

Quick Reply: Slp Zl-402 ?