Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 rods versus LS1 rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:22 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question LS2 rods versus LS1 rods

Hi All,

I was at a local speed shop the other day and they had a set of LS2 rods in the display cabinet. They were quite a bit different looking than the LS1 rod. They had a very wide beam but appeared to be quite a thin section. They cind of reminded me of the LeMans rods for the Ford 427 FE in that they were amost triangular with no shoulder.

The guy behind the counter said they were much lighter weight than the LS1 rod but stronger.

What's the deal with these rods any one got details on them? I've tried searching on here and the net in general but haven't found much info on them.

Are they actually stronger and lighter than the LS1 items?
Are they interchangable with LS1 rods?
What sort of HP are they good for and would they be a budget alternative to some of the aftermarket steel rods out there?

The price for the set was certainly atractive and I'm wondering if I should buy them.

Also a friend of mine just picked up a crate LS7 for his Cobra to replace the supercharged LS1. His engine builder reckons he wants to change out the rods in it for some after market ones. I though the LS7 rods were titanium, why would anyone want to change them? Is my friend being taken for a ride?

Cheers

Michael

Quick Reply: LS2 rods versus LS1 rods