Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

saving to go to a new block for my TA

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default saving to go to a new block for my TA

I just read a thread has made me want to go with a LS2 or a LS7 block instead of forging my 100k mile LS1 & adding on FI. I'm definately new to engine building and very curious about what mods could be universal from the LS1 to the LS2 or LS7... the same headers, fuel rail covers, clutch, etc.

What I want my car to do:
I want my TA to be streetable that puts out at near 500rwhp that can run mid 10s to low 11s at the track & still get at least 22mpg on (91) the highway. Once my car can reach 10s I'll be satisfied and won't be looking hardly anymore to add power. Would I be able to reach 500rwhp if I'm at 420 now if I have my engine rebuilt with forged pistons, rods, crankshaft, and add on an affordable FI? What would rebuilding the engine cost me?

Budget will be shallow. Probably nothing much more than 4000 on a shortblock. If I can get by under $5000 for a complete engine swap (including the money I get off my LS1), there's a chance I can do this within a year or two.

And what could I get out of my 100k LS1 with a custom comp grind cam & ported & polished LS6 heads?

Last edited by candlelit; 12-28-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Addict

SDPC LS2 402 would be within your budget. There are also others that build fantastic motors or have the sources to do so. Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads would be another very valuble resource. Lots of folks talk VERY highly of Steve at Race Engine Development.

As I've said before the research can be half the fun and will definitely give you peace of mind when forking $4k+ for a shortblock.

Why not reuse your LS6 heads?

Good luck

Bill
Old 12-28-2006, 09:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Reid
SDPC LS2 402 would be within your budget. There are also others that build fantastic motors or have the sources to do so. Richard at West Coast Cylinder Heads would be another very valuble resource. Lots of folks talk VERY highly of Steve at Race Engine Development.

As I've said before the research can be half the fun and will definitely give you peace of mind when forking $4k+ for a shortblock.

Good luck

Bill
steve is definitely the man
Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bill Reid

Good luck

Bill
I didn't think I'd be able to use those heads on the LS2. So you're saying I would be able to use my H/C on the LS2? What about using an LS6 intake for a bolt on? I've tried doing research for a couple of hours on these stupid questions but most people here are far more tech. advanced than me that they don't even talk about stupid stuff like that.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

No problem on the LS6 intake. An LS2 intake with a 90mm TB upgrade will a bit better with a cube upgrade but lots of 382/402 folks do just fine with the LS6 intake. Guess it depends on your budget. A factory LS2 comes with the LS6 243 castings... heads will not be a problem. The cam? I would recommend discussing that with your engine builder... there is a chance it could be reused... but I think you might come up with a cam better matched for the increased cubes...

Bill

Quick Reply: saving to go to a new block for my TA