Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

head/cam help

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 08:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head/cam help

ok, heres the deal, i cant decide wether i want to get a cam next or heads for my LS2 GTO. ive been talking to gunner about a set of heads, 243s, ported, with 2.02 intake and 1.57 exhaust ferrea valves and patriot springs (havent gotten any more info on them yet). but ive been talking to some car buffs at work, and am now second guessing myself. i wouldnt mind getting both, but cant talk the wife into it. its gonna be one or the other for now, the other thing is probably gonna be pushed off for a while, like not till the end of next year

heres where im stuck, i dont know which is gonna benefit me more, the ported heads, or a nice cam. my last dyno run was just shy of 490hp. my mods are TNT 150 shot, volant intake, coated kooks 1 7/8ths headers w/o cats, magnaflow catback, 1 piece DS, and a performabuilt trans and 3500 stall converter, and a walbro 255lph pump. id like to have more N/A power, and then the 150 shot for fun. N/A i think i was around 320ish hp last time cause of the nitrous tune.

the reason im kinda leaning more towards a set of heads is cause the swap would be easier right now, and easier later whenever i get a cam cause i wouldnt have to remove the springs or anything inside the head. but if i decide to swap the cam now, id have to install better springs now too, and whenever i swap out the heads later, im gonna want to reuse the stuff i just bought with the cam.

anyone want to help me please? should i just stick with the stock 243 heads for now, or swap them out and get a cam later? thanks
Old 12-29-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is more potential hp gain from a big cam than just heads. Either way you are going to need a tune. I would go with the cam now and heads later. JMHO