Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

NEW L76 rear drive G8 Pontiac on sale early 2008....

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:31 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBsZ06
The GM six speed automatic has been adapted to the high torque truck motors capable of towing etc and will handle the power.

GM had a six speed automatic running in a 505 hp Z06 and reportedly it was faster than the manual and handled the power easily.

GM's new six speed is well designed.

JMO
i hope you're right. i have very high hopes for this transmission, but GM's typical lackluster drivelines have me worried. it seems like their transmissions stink, and when they do make a good one, they pair it with a twig of a rear or driveshaft. corvette's and f-bodies with weak rears and a mediocre automatic and mediocre clutch on manuals, CTS-V with terrible wheel hop...

i mean when people want to go high horsepower, they have to go either TH400 or 4L80E. when can we get another alternative?
Old 02-23-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
i hope you're right. i have very high hopes for this transmission, but GM's typical lackluster drivelines have me worried. it seems like their transmissions stink, and when they do make a good one, they pair it with a twig of a rear or driveshaft. corvette's and f-bodies with weak rears and a mediocre automatic and mediocre clutch on manuals, CTS-V with terrible wheel hop...

i mean when people want to go high horsepower, they have to go either TH400 or 4L80E. when can we get another alternative?
You forgot the GTO's with a two piece driveshaft and crazy wheelhop.

I'm hoping GM's engineers learned from the Alison 5 speed auto design when they designed the new 6 spd's.

I also like the fact that the Auzie guys have figured out an exhaust system (LT's and dual 3's) along with a tune gets the 360hp motor up to around 400 to 420hp (crank not rear wheel).

I can't wait to see someone cam one of these with a full exhaust & tune.

One of the big questions that will be brought up with the new vehicles is...
How many people with disable AFM (active fuel management) and cam em -vs- going with a custom cam that gives increased performance along with keeping AFM?
Old 02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Tech Resident

i wanna know what the hell's wrong with this motor! 362 horsepower? out of a 6.0L w/L92 heads? holy ****! what's the cam specs on this? like 170/172 122 LSA? why is the horsepower rating slow low? why in comparison to torque? 391 ft-lbs of torque and only 362 hp? this means the hp must peak at like 5000 rpms or something! this engine ratings point that it's anemic. but i thought L92 heads were GREAT at flowing. the ports looked bigger than LS7 heads! i would think this motor should produce 75-100 hp more than it is. what is the deal? is the intake manifold a crazy straw?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Staging Lane

i wanna know what the hell's wrong with this motor! 362 horsepower? out of a 6.0L w/L92 heads? holy ****! what's the cam specs on this? like 170/172 122 LSA? why is the horsepower rating slow low? why in comparison to torque? 391 ft-lbs of torque and only 362 hp? this means the hp must peak at like 5000 rpms or something! this engine ratings point that it's anemic. but i thought L92 heads were GREAT at flowing. the ports looked bigger than LS7 heads! i would think this motor should produce 75-100 hp more than it is. what is the deal? is the intake manifold a crazy straw?
Basically it's mighty restricted from the factory, add to that the approaches they take to up the vehicles fuel economy and thats what you get.
Check how restricting the intake is:
http://g8gt.com/t212/#post427
The exhaust is equally restrictive, so uncorking her and upping the compression from the stock 10.4:1 to something higher will yeild excellent gains.

Edit: question.. Can an LS2 grind cam be used on the L76/L98's?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Swapping cams? I wouldn't go for the ls6 or ls2 grind..

The aftermarket cams are a lot more performance oriented...(if you're going through the cost of a cam/header swap...

Might as well go for an aftermarket cam.

I bet there is more in the pcm tuning than we found with the ls1 motors...

and doing an aftermarket cam and headers should be very reasonably priced...for big hp.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:25 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Phoenix_Master
Basically it's mighty restricted from the factory, add to that the approaches they take to up the vehicles fuel economy and thats what you get.
Check how restricting the intake is:
http://g8gt.com/t212/#post427
The exhaust is equally restrictive, so uncorking her and upping the compression from the stock 10.4:1 to something higher will yeild excellent gains.

Edit: question.. Can an LS2 grind cam be used on the L76/L98's?
well, i couldn't see any of the pictures because i'm not a forum member over there, but from what i can gauge, a CIA, exhaust and a tune on that car will yield about 80 horsepower. if that's true, that's insane. add some headers and you've gained 100 hp from simple bolt-ons. that's my kind of car.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:53 PM
Staging Lane

Here are the pics:

Last edited by Phoenix_Master; 02-24-2007 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Tech Resident

that looks like an absolutely awful design on GM's part. my guess is it was purposely engineered like that to keep horsepower ratings down. my guess is for the better gas mileage and lower insurance claims the car will make. a 360 horsepower car's probably cheaper to insure than a 400 hp car.

that being said, even with the CAI, i see that intake arm always being a restriction for that motor. i don't like the way the air comes from the side of the engine and around a U-bend. the intake on our cars is one of the best things about it - in front of the engine and straight in line with the intake manifold.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, i couldn't see any of the pictures because i'm not a forum member over there, but from what i can gauge, a CIA, exhaust and a tune on that car will yield about 80 horsepower. if that's true, that's insane. add some headers and you've gained 100 hp from simple bolt-ons. that's my kind of car.
I agree....Gonna make an excellent base for enthusiasts.

Cheap mods for sure ..

Quick Reply: NEW L76 rear drive G8 Pontiac on sale early 2008....