Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Stroker Motor Guys: Compare the feeling of a 550(ish)rwhp to 400's!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
Dynamics...... 551
Dynojet.........466
ok i got that part. but if the dynamics typically reads lower then shouldnt of it read higher?

or did the new tuner mess it up on the dynojet?
Old 02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quik
ok i got that part. but if the dynamics typically reads lower then shouldnt of it read higher?

IMO the dyno dynamics fella lied~
Old 02-15-2007, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

BTW, Stainless works 2 1/2 headers, Edelbrock stepped, or Hooker 1 7/8??
Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
IMO the dyno dynamics fella lied~
i seen all the info over on LS2.... its hard to beleive that it only made 460..knowing a 6.0 with same heads and intake with less SCR and a lot smaller cam made 495rwhp
Old 02-15-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quik

No the Dynojet stuff has always been on the money around our area. With that said, the dyno dynamis units have always rear LOWER then the dyno jet numbers.

For instance if they DD unit said 466 and then he dynoed on the Dynojet and got 551 then the numbers would be believeable because the track would have backed up the 551 numbers with a good trap speed.

Or lets say the DD numbers are what they are at 551. That would mean on the dynojet he'd be making over 600!!! something that DID NOT HAPPEN when he dynoed on there.

The other thing just by talking with DD reps. The graph we are all being shown in an uncorrected graph. THis is coming straight from Terry McDonalds mouth to my ear. So the numbers are/could be very much so, false.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh well....guess the drama is over and out!
Old 02-16-2007, 12:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
No the Dynojet stuff has always been on the money around our area. With that said, the dyno dynamis units have always rear LOWER then the dyno jet numbers.
You claimed in the other thread that Dyno Dynamics units always read higher than the Dynojet numbers. Sadly, your post that proved this has been deleted.

If you're going to be a dick, get your facts straight at least.

-Russell
Old 02-16-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RHall8612
You claimed in the other thread that Dyno Dynamics units always read higher than the Dynojet numbers. Sadly, your post that proved this has been deleted.

If you're going to be a dick, get your facts straight at least.

-Russell
I never claimed that. I claimed that thats what they were saying. Go try to bite your ear some more. I'm here to prove credibility for these numbers.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick G
In general terms it goes like this: a cam that's too big will respond well by advancing it. A cam to small will pick up power by retarding it. A cam with proper valve event will want little advance.

Advancing the cam will close the intake valve sooner and raise dynamic compression. This is a balancing act as high dynamic compression will help low and mid-range torque, but a later intake valve closing point will make power at a higher rpm range (which typically makes for more power). The problem with 98Z28Cobrakiller's 402 was that his 244/248 111LSA cam was correctly sized for his motor, but he installed it with 2 degrees of retard. Again, this might have been a good move on a too-small 234/238 111LSA cam in a 402, but not on a 244/248 111LSA cam. By advancing the cam to 108ICL, he was able to increase low and mid-range torque without losing his top-end power. He gained area under the curve. He had an advantage of a properly selected LSA.

But let's say he had a 113LSA instead. That would have made his exhaust valve open 2 degrees earlier in the power stroke (compared to 111LSA), bleeding off cylinder pressure and torque. Then let's say you advanced the cam to get to the 108ICL that he found to be ideal with the 111LSA cam...guess what? Now your exhaust valve opening point is 4 degrees earlier than before...again, killing even more torque. So you see, even though the DCR is the same, you can make less torque with a wider LSA if the motor doesn't like an earlier EVO point.

Well, I still haven't had a chance to get on a dyno and verify that there was an actual improvement by advancing the cam 5 degrees but I feel confident from the seat of the pants feel that it made a significant difference. From my thread, thanks to Patrick, I was able to reach a much better understanding of cam timing events and how the different values (Duration, LSA, Lift, Lobe, valve event timing, etc) effect the overall performance of the motor. You really should get your hands on a DCR calculator (PianoProdigy did the one that I play with). Now, with the understanding that I have, I still would not recommend a specific cam to someone as I still am not clear on the "fixed" values. For instance, I understand that by degreeing my cam +5 I moved the intake valve closing timing to 50*. I don't really understand why 50* is desirable in my engine with the AFR 225's but the guys that know (like Patrick) say that is what the 402's with AFR 225's seem to like. I also now that by advancing my cam 5* I moved up the DCR by almost 1/2 point which I understand is a good thing as long as you don't exceed the magic 8.5 pump gas friendly number. I would love to understand what the other valve events represent and how moving them forward or back effects the performance of the engine. As Patrick stated previously My cam started out life as a 111LSA w/-2* ground in which means that it had a 113ICL and by advancing it 5* I moved the ICL to 108. I'm not sure what Tony Mamo had in mind originally when specing this cam for me but I am glad that all I had to do was give it 5 * in order to correct the valve timing.

Like I said before, I hope to get this thing back on the dyno in the not too distant future. I have had a bunch of issues to work out since I degreed the cam. I took the car to the track shortly after degreeing the cam and I had a very embarrasing outing. This was due to massive suspension problems and poor track prep. How does 2.3 60', 12.25 @ 122 mph sound to you . I was on Nitto DR's in my sig. I did some research regarding the suspension and called some people. One easy problem to correct was the when I installed the LCA's and Panhard bar, I didn't torque them down to the correct setting. Basically I hit them with the impact air gun till they wouldn't go any tighter so my rear end was all bound up. I loosened that up, removed the front sway bar and went back to the track. Ran a 2.04 60' w/ 11.73 @ 124.41 MPH. I know that still sucks but it is better. The other problem was that my tranny was so notchy that I had to granny shift into 3rd or it just wouldn't go into the gear. On the street, I was giving up a full car between 2-3 shift. I swapped out the tranny Tuesday night with an MN12 6sped out of an 04 GTO. OMFG, what a difference. Thing shifts like butter and the more aggressive 1,2, and 3rd gear ratios really make it feel nasty. When we put the car up on the lift to install the tranny, my buddy (the guy whose garage we were at) tried to spin the front driver's side tire while just standing there shooting the **** with me. It wouldn't budge. He had to use both hands and alot of leverage to spin it. I had noticed that the car was pulling to that side for some time (6 months atleast) and that it seemed like there was alot of brake dust on that wheel but since I really don't drive the car that much, I just washed it and let it be. I pulled the wheel off yesterday and discovered that i had a seized piston in the caliper. I replaced the caliper and DAMN, it's like I was losing 30 rhp (obviously not in my dyno numbers but on the street) thru that drag. I got my hands on a set of slicks and tonite it's off to the track. I would love to see some 127MPH passes on motor. I also installed a progressive controller for my 150 shot as I couldn't get it to hook from a 2nd gear roll to save my life. And last but not least, I installed a shift light as I had really no idea where I was shifting before. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck on your project.

Just my 2 cents, I didn't agree with locking the Xtreme 551 RWHP thread. I think that if a vendor is going to post numbers, they should be held to them. If someone is bashing for the sake of bashing, that is one thing but if they are calling BS because a vendor is inflating their numbers then they should be held to a higher standard because it is a form of false advertising. I think that it is a 100X worse if a shop does it than if an individual did it.

Regards,
Carlos

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 02-16-2007 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller

Just my 2 cents, I didn't agree with locking the Xtreme 551 RWHP thread. I think that if a vendor is going to post numbers, they should be held to them. If someone is bashing for the sake of bashing, that is one thing but if they are calling BS because a vendor is inflating their numbers then they should be held to a higher standard because it is a form of false advertising. I think that it is a 100X worse if a shop does it than if an individual did it.

Regards,
Carlos
You would think after dyno'ing at another shop with 10.9:1 and only 480rwhp (another dynojet) this shop would come out and say something. I guess the guilty dog is not going to bark here.

I wonder if this board will lose a sponsor because of this. Reputation is hard to earn. This just amazes me. I have no doubt that he has a good setup. He needs some work to the heads, better exhaust, and better tuning to get that car over 510rwhp... it is very do-able.

Good luck to him!

Quick Reply: Stroker Motor Guys: Compare the feeling of a 550(ish)rwhp to 400's!!