Me or Kevin will post them just as soon as there on the screen
Old 02-23-2007, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default great

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Cam only results shortly. May be monday before we have head comparison #s
I'm really looking forward to seeing these numbers. I was thinking about making a thread exactly like this one. I am starting to think that unless you are doing a FI setup the cnc L92 heads might be over kill and will only hurt performance on a na motor, because of the lower port velocity. I really hope that the sponcers start coming out with some great numbers using these heads in the very near future. Its getting close to spring here and I still have a lot of engine work to do. With the flow numbers that the L92's make stock you should be able to EASILY make 500rwhp with the right cam choice and over 400+ ci, but so far there havent been very many people to get to 500.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
I'm really looking forward to seeing these numbers. I was thinking about making a thread exactly like this one. I am starting to think that unless you are doing a FI setup the cnc L92 heads might be over kill and will only hurt performance on a na motor, because of the lower port velocity. I really hope that the sponcers start coming out with some great numbers using these heads in the very near future. Its getting close to spring here and I still have a lot of engine work to do. With the flow numbers that the L92's make stock you should be able to EASILY make 500rwhp with the right cam choice and over 400+ ci, but so far there havent been very many people to get to 500.
Have you seen the other thread? We're right there. 490 with a 3.90 gear, thru cats, etc, etc.
Heads are coming off now. Should have results on monday.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastGBcamaro
The issue of these heads being soggy on the bottom has been disproved. This setup made 380 RWT at 2200RPM. Not too shabby. Check out the graph. TWo drastically different cams both made strong RWT numbers.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Have you seen the other thread? We're right there. 490 with a 3.90 gear, thru cats, etc, etc.
Heads are coming off now. Should have results on monday.
Dont forget heavy repro wheels.
Old 02-23-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

L76....
Has any work been done to the intake?

Has the intake been flowed?

Can the heads be flowed with the intake hooked up?
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by My90Iroc
Has any work been done to the intake?

Has the intake been flowed?

Can the heads be flowed with the intake hooked up?
I think Richard was going to flow these heads with the intake attached. I'm not sure if he's done it yet. I really think the intake is going to be the restriction on these builds as much as it is on the ls1 heads with a ported FAST. The intake has very long runners which is one reason you see strong low end torque numbers. Someone's eventually going to have to come up with a composite intake that flows higher for this setup in street use. I think that's a long way off though.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

will a ported l76 help that? ls2portworks says they port them.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1bigcam
will a ported l76 help that? ls2portworks says they port them.
I dont know if porting (the intake) would help. I know most of the CNC work on the heads was done in the exhaust ports. We may try the intake like it is and then port it. All depends on how much time we are given.
I'm going to get the stock heads cleaned up monday, and get some pictures and measurements of both heads, to get a good comparison.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont know if porting (the intake) would help. I know most of the CNC work on the heads was done in the exhaust ports. We may try the intake like it is and then port it. All depends on how much time we are given.
I'm going to get the stock heads cleaned up monday, and get some pictures and measurements of both heads, to get a good comparison.
The link in post #7 implies you're using those heads where intake work was done. That's why I was asking about having the intake flowed.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Banned

The link in post #7 implies you're using those heads where intake work was done. That's why I was asking about having the intake flowed.
Intake port work in the HEADS, not the MANIFOLD.
But I undrstand what you are asking about. It would be interesting to see some flow #s on the intake/head combo. Hopefully those will be available soon.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:24 PM
TECH Junkie

All results so far are with heads with untouched runners. The only thing done to the heads was a .030 mill.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Intake port work in the HEADS, not the MANIFOLD.
But I undrstand what you are asking about. It would be interesting to see some flow #s on the intake/head combo. Hopefully those will be available soon.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Cam only results shortly. May be monday before we have head comparison #s

Any news yet??? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2k2blkss
Any news yet??? Inquiring minds want to know!
Check the other thread. Numbers not real impressive. The lack of gain would seem to indicate the heads are pretty good out of the box. At least at this level. We also dropped the comp just a little, so that would offset some of the gains in flow. Maybe more cam would wake it up. More cam,designed differently than the first cam. We might try another one.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Back to my post #12 in this thread I still don't think the combination of the stock intake and these heads will work well together. I also believe porting the intake ports of these heads will magnify the problem of low velocity through the heads and poor flow through the intake. I'd like to see a custom intake put on this setup and see what happens. None the less, I understand the point of the build and looking at that dyno graph the car should be real fun to drive.
On a side note, hats off to wcch. It looks like there's a ton of material that can be taken out of the exhaust ports on these heads which has been proven to really be lacking. I think we're going to see a lot of L92 heads with only exhaust port work done while leaving the intake ports alone.
People keep talking about finding the right cam "for the heads" but IMO it goes beyond that. Other cam profiles will probably help some but I don't think you'll see the leaps and bounds in power gains like we did from cam profiles on the 346. Until an intake comes out that will keep up with these heads you're fighting a major bottleneck. It's like putting a coffee stirrer in your mouth then putting a regular straw at the other end and blowing through the coffee stirrer. You know the straw flows well but the stirrer doesn't so your stuck. The desparity in flow between the L76 intake and L92 heads seems much greater than LS1/LS6 intake and LS1/LS6 heads. Just my opinion.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Back to my post #12 in this thread I still don't think the combination of the stock intake and these heads will work well together. I also believe porting the intake ports of these heads will magnify the problem of low velocity through the heads and poor flow through the intake. I'd like to see a custom intake put on this setup and see what happens. None the less, I understand the point of the build and looking at that dyno graph the car should be real fun to drive.
On a side note, hats off to wcch. It looks like there's a ton of material that can be taken out of the exhaust ports on these heads which has been proven to really be lacking. I think we're going to see a lot of L92 heads with only exhaust port work done while leaving the intake ports alone.
People keep talking about finding the right cam "for the heads" but IMO it goes beyond that. Other cam profiles will probably help some but I don't think you'll see the leaps and bounds in power gains like we did from cam profiles on the 346. Until an intake comes out that will keep up with these heads you're fighting a major bottleneck. It's like putting a coffee stirrer in your mouth then putting a regular straw at the other end and blowing through the coffee stirrer. You know the straw flows well but the stirrer doesn't so your stuck. The desparity in flow between the L76 intake and L92 heads seems much greater than LS1/LS6 intake and LS1/LS6 heads. Just my opinion.
I believe you've said it best so far. The L76 intake flows no better than a factory LS6. This power problem is nearly identical to the problem the trucks are having. The truck intake equalizes power in a modded 5.3l and 408 at around 350rwhp. Very few exceptions to this. However, once a Victor Jr. intake is installed, the 408 soars with power. It's not unreasonalbe to believe that GM developed the L76 intake to produce lots of low end torque with a 208º cam and wasn't thinking about the guy building a hot 408 with a 240º+ cam buzzing 6500+rpms. Why isn't this more obvious? Virtually every customer I've spoken to who have installed a Hogan's sheet metal or Wilson billet intake has seen anywhere from 40 to 80 more hp. And depending on design, more peak torque with little to no loss of low end torque. Sadly the Gen 3 hot rod community has been let down by the companies who manufacture intake manifolds. To date none have come to market with a performance oriented intake that breaks the cookie mold of the turtleback style manifold. Victor Jr. intakes are not practical to use on C5/C6 and F-body cars. We've reached the next bottleneck with the L92 top end and that's the L76 intake manifold.

Richard
Old 03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Richard@WCCH
I believe you've said it best so far. The L76 intake flows no better than a factory LS6. This power problem is nearly identical to the problem the trucks are having. The truck intake equalizes power in a modded 5.3l and 408 at around 350rwhp. Very few exceptions to this. However, once a Victor Jr. intake is installed, the 408 soars with power. It's not unreasonalbe to believe that GM developed the L76 intake to produce lots of low end torque with a 208º cam and wasn't thinking about the guy building a hot 408 with a 240º+ cam buzzing 6500+rpms. Why isn't this more obvious? Virtually every customer I've spoken to who have installed a Hogan's sheet metal or Wilson billet intake has seen anywhere from 40 to 80 more hp. And depending on design, more peak torque with little to no loss of low end torque. Sadly the Gen 3 hot rod community has been let down by the companies who manufacture intake manifolds. To date none have come to market with a performance oriented intake that breaks the cookie mold of the turtleback style manifold. Victor Jr. intakes are not practical to use on C5/C6 and F-body cars. We've reached the next bottleneck with the L92 top end and that's the L76 intake manifold.

Richard
Damn good post!!!

Quick Reply: Out of box VS ported L92s