Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

416 L92 + ported heads. Full story plus results

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Yes, we receive a lot of feedback, both from our customers and performance enthusiasts in general. But like was said earlier, the heads will take a 150-200 shot and do make stupid torque.
So was it iron blocks or LS2's that had the head gasket issues? Any specifics?

Have you seen these combinations work well with a 150-200 shot or are you guessing?
Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Those are good numbers. I am building a similar combo But I will be spraying about a 250 shot.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Outlaw1
Have you seen these combinations work well with a 150-200 shot or are you guessing?
Guessing?, Why would you come onto this forum with a total post count of 4 and ask someone like myself if I am guessing?

I guess you will have to see how your new combo does....
Old 03-23-2007, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

Guessing?, Why would you come onto this forum with a total post count of 4 and ask someone like myself if I am guessing?

I guess you will have to see how your new combo does....
Well, years ago I was a shop owner/installer. Personally I have never purchased any of your products, but I have installed plenty of your Ford heads and LT1 heads for customers. They were all quality pieces. I never tried your LS1 heads because at that time I was working with another vendor and they were doing me right.

I have been away from the performance industry for quite some time, my new screen name and post count reflects that. If you are under the impression that I don't have any experience because I don't have many posts, you're sorely mistaken. My lowly post count just proves I haven't been active online.

If you were offended by my questioning your personal experience with a nitrous/L92 setup...I'm not sure what I can do about that. I did question your personal experience with it and I didn't get an answer, just an attempted insult in return. You either have personal experience with the L92 head gasket issues and you want to share them, or you don't. Simple. You've made mention more than once of people having sealings issues with the L92's, but I haven't found anyone else that's had the same problem yet. I don't doubt they will lose a gasket, the deck is thin. My point was to bring the sealing problems out and talk about them.

I'm sorry, but I don't feel as though I should bow at your feet. We all make guesses. Sometimes they're educated guesses and they work. Sometimes they're educated guesses and they don't work. If you're not making guesses when you build something, it sounds as though you must already know it all and I'm sure that's not that case.

As for my combinations, if these heads are going to be spitting head gaskets or puking coolant every time I turn the boost up and get even a little aggressive with my tune, maybe they're not for me. This early in my build it would be easy for me to abort them and buy some AFR/TFS heads and save time/money in the long run. With my modest power level goals it's very possibly they will work fine. Or I could be wrong, I guess.

Old 03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
Banned

Ouch!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:32 AM
On The Tree

So was it iron blocks or LS2's that had the head gasket issues? Any specifics?
I would like to know as well...

Frank
Old 03-23-2007, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, years ago I ......

As for my combinations, if these heads are going to be spitting head gaskets or puking coolant every time I turn the boost up and get even a little aggressive with my tune, maybe they're not for me. This early in my build it would be easy for me to abort them and buy some AFR/TFS heads and save time/money in the long run. With my modest power level goals it's very possibly they will work fine. Or I could be wrong, I guess.

The L92 heads in question were on a customers car that called in and was having problems, he asked if we could help him with his head gasket issues he was having, we recommended Cometic gaskets and studs, he said he was already using them, so what do you do then?

Sounds simple to me, go to aftermarket castings....
Old 03-24-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Second Club

Question 6.0 litre iron block

I have a 6.0 litre iron block . It will have a .040 over bore and a 4.125 stroke crank . I think it should make about 425 ci. I am not sure. It will also have 11.5to1 compression. l92 heads ported. Any suggestions on a cam would be appretiated ie. solid vs. hydrualic .This will be a street driven car but if I can get alot more power from a solid roller, and the only disadvantage being adjusting the valve lash every so often then it would be worth it. But that would depend on how much power and how often.Also the street manners of the solid roller.I will be spraying the engine 200 to 250 shot and I want a cam that will be good for both. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:15 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

intake will limit a solid roller setup form what I have seen, rpm's limited to 6400 or so with big hyd cam and L76 intake. I would assume that with a sheel aluminum intake and bigbig solid roller and spinning to 7500 rpm, the power would be awsome!

sdb
Old 03-24-2007, 05:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

jz u should have said something to me when i was over there we could have taken some video....
Old 03-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

The L92 heads in question...we recommended Cometic gaskets and studs, he said he was already using them, so what do you do then?

Sounds simple to me, go to aftermarket castings....
I know it seems as if I'm knit-pickin' you, I promise you I'm not trying to do that. These heads are so new and there isn't much feedback, I'm just looking for more.

Do you mind if we dig a little deeper? I hope not.

First swarm of questions, any idea about the rest of the basic combination? Iron block/LS2, deck finish on head/block (have they both been checked for straightness?), normally aspirated/blown and state of tune, fuel system...? Basics.

Was the engine blowing the gaskets, or lifting the heads just enough to burp the coolant? Did it lose gaskets on the dyno or after street driving? If there are problems in other areas of the car it's very possible it will lift the heads even if they have a thicker deck.

Generally speaking based on my past experience, busted head gaskets have typically been caused by other factors that increase cylinder pressures beyond the sealing limits. Lemme give you an example. It never ceases to amaze me when I see the fuel systems, or lack of, that some people will use to supply their combinations, especially blown applications. A fuel pressure guage and/or wideband should come as standard equipment with any performance setup. The other side of the coin is your customer really found the limits of the sealing capabilities of the L92's, that would be bad news for the rest of us that already bought a set.

Now don't get me wrong, I do agree that the aftermarket heads have thicker decks that will be much less prone to head gasket failures versus the L92's, as well as the rest of the stockers. Let's just say you can justify the extra money because they'd have a larger safety margin. If I had to guess (yes, I said guess) I would say keep the tune on the veeeeery safe side with the L92's if you're making anything close to big power. Big cylinder pressure with these thin decks on top of the LS2 might make things worse.

I'm not trying to alarm the troops, I still think these heads are a great value. Once we see some boosted setups with these heads, I think they are going to be pretty amazing.

You were right about the post count thing. This is my fifth post and I'm feel smarter already. Just wait until I get up to 10 or so, I'll be a frickin' genius!

So who wants to buy my L92 heads so I can buy a set of TFS heads?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 AM
10 Second Club

Default the cost

Originally Posted by SDB
intake will limit a solid roller setup form what I have seen, rpm's limited to 6400 or so with big hyd cam and L76 intake. I would assume that with a sheel aluminum intake and bigbig solid roller and spinning to 7500 rpm, the power would be awsome!

sdb
Any idea what a sheet aluminum intake would cost? and where I could purchase one. The more power the better.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Any idea what a sheet aluminum intake would cost? and where I could purchase one. The more power the better.
There's a l92 sheetmetal in the for sale section.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Teching In

wow this sounds like a KILLER setup!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 12:44 AM
10 Second Club

Default sheet metal intake

Originally Posted by a98ws6
There's a l92 sheetmetal in the for sale section.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 169 Likes on 111 Posts

Nice numbers for sure! Are these stock valves or aftermarket?
Old 04-07-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Who is the owner of this vette and what is your initial feedback, and what tuner was most involved in putting this 550rwhp L92 motor together as these are my minimal goals for my 02 C5 Z06 and that flat torque line carrying 500rwtq has my attention and I would like to talk to you about building a similar motor! I heard this complete motor could be put together for $8,500.00 is that true?

I would LOVE to see what the EXACT same motor would make with Trick Flow 225s just to see how they compared!

Quick Reply: 416 L92 + ported heads. Full story plus results