Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS7 Head Has Been Outdone!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4OfaKind
Money is the main issue. The fact that these heads cost $6-$10k is what has everyone's emotions on boil.
The all billet Dart LS block, $6k no problem.
All billet Wilson intake $3k, throw that on too thanks gotta have that.
$2k forged Lunati crank, pocket change what's a motor w/o one.

$10k heads whoa that's crazy.

If they cost $3-$4K he could not keep em in stock. The only question would be "How much faster would I go with 'em?"

Mal
That is assuming that they make HP. If they don't, he could damn near give them away and be swimming in them.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is assuming that they make HP. If they don't, he could damn near give them away and be swimming in them.
Agreed!

Mal
Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4OfaKind
Agreed!

Mal
Yep, that's all this is about. Do they make power. we'll see.

If we were simply looking for bang for the buck, we'd all be selliing our motors and buying these and adding a plate system:

http://www.shafiroff.com/sportsman/540_810.asp

http://www.shafiroff.com/sportsman/555_925.asp
Old 04-13-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by briannutter

If we were simply looking for bang for the buck, we'd all be selliing our motors and buying these and adding a plate system:

http://www.shafiroff.com/sportsman/540_810.asp

http://www.shafiroff.com/sportsman/555_925.asp

You are exactly right, I know I have more than the first one in my motor. Probably the second one too

However, they can keep the extra ton of weight
Old 04-13-2007, 01:41 PM
Launching!

At one time these guys had an absolutely terrible reputation for customer (non) service, and I recall reading about some folks who waited years (!) after down-payment for delivery. Hopefully, they've sorted themselves out, because this would be a fun product to have in the LSx world.

And don't be fooled by max flow numbers - a 4 valve head will typically have much greater flow at low to mid lift, which is where the power increases over a 2V come from.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by briannutter
1.)Seat pressure is about nothing BUT controlling valve float.

2.) When's the last time you saw a set of proper pushrods wear out.

3.) Alloys get thrown out most 2v needs to Ti to turn over 7500rpm anyway.
1. Seat pressure is not the only issue to deal with....

2. Pushrod deflection or permanent deformation is the issue.

3. I don't have Ti exhaust valves in my mustang and turn 8k-8.5k...
Old 04-13-2007, 02:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok maybe I don't understand but for me $15k would be enough for me to add forced induction and still put a nice down payment on a 32V car!
Old 04-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Personally, I believe they make power. That said, do they make enough to warrant an extra $7k over L92 heads? NO

Now if they were priced @ $4k that would be a different story. But that is just me.

To me no cylinderhead is worth $10k unless I owned a F1 or NHRA team.

Mal
Old 04-13-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Regular

Exclamation

The heads look interesting, but Russ Arao has shown in the past to be a shady mf'er.

Long delays (like a year or more), sometimes no parts deliveried at all, custom parts and modified parts to get the heads to even work on a motor.

A racer would need very deep pockets to run these heads $15-20K at least and even then I wonder if it's worth it when a new Z06 would be a better buy.

I think the ETP canted valve heads would be a better choice in the long run for hp and customer support.

However, I'm still interested in actual results of these heads, but who knows when that will happen.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Andrew91GT
1. Seat pressure is not the only issue to deal with....

2. Pushrod deflection or permanent deformation is the issue.

You get it. Pushrods bend and distort under extreme pressure, be it lateral force, inertia (rpm), heat, etc. Thats my only point and concern with you guys that think you can spin all that overhead garbage to a billion RPM.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cylinders: V8, 72° bank angle
Cylinder centres: 109 mm
Bore: 97.0 mm
Stroke: 58 mm
Stroke/bore ratio: 0.60:1
Capacity: 3,429 cc
Compression ratio 11.0:1
Connecting rod length: 116 mm
Rod/crank radius ratio: 4.0:1
Main bearing journal diameter: 58.0 mm
Rod journal diameter: 50.0 mm
Inlet valve diameter: 52.5 mm
Exhaust valve diameter: 39.7 mm
Inlet pressure: 1.86 Atm
Engine weight: 290 lb / 136 kg
Peak power: 1024 bhp @ 9800 rpm
Maximum speed: 10,400 rpm (10,000 rpm for the 500)
Piston speed (corrected): 4823 ft/min / 24.1 m/s
Peak torque: 557 lb ft / 755 Nm @ 8000 rpm
Peak bmep: 402 psi
Engine bhp per litre: 298.6 bhp/litre
Engine weight per bhp: 0.28 lb/bhp / 0.13 kg/bhp

Valve timing
IVO: 87° BTDC
IVC: 87° ABDC
EVO: 84° BBDC
EVC: 84° ATDC
Inlet lift: 15.7 mm
Exhaust lift: 14.4 mm

Aluminum block and heads. Block ends at crank centre, bedplate design where the lower crankcase casting forms the main bearing caps and dry sump. Four main studs per main bearing. Wet steel liners gooved for solid sealing ring, flange at the top. Five main bearings. 180 degree billet steel crank, four counterweights with screwed in tungsten plugs. I-profile steel connecting rods. Single camshaft in block driven though gears with a pendulum type damper in the nose. The rear end of the cam drives a scavenge pump for the single Garrett TA74 turbo. The cam rotates in four caged roller bearings on 45 mm journals and a ball bearing in the front. Each head is attached by ten studs. Short skirt slipper type pistons with three rings and a steel piston pin. Inclined two valve chamber rotated 20° from transverse. 10° inlet valve angle and 13° exhaust valve angle. Dual coil springs, titanium valves and retainers, copper alloy seat inserts. Pivoted finger type roller followers. Stainless steel push rods and roller rockers. Lift multiplication ratio of 2.175:1.

These are the specs for the engine that used a flaw in the rules to get a competitive advantage. It allowed an OHV engine to have more boost and displacement than OHC.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is the Ilmor 500i OHV race engine BTW
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

With the exhaust pushrod angled like that, seems like the exhaust lifters would have significant side loads on them.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Hello All,

I have been a member on here for several months however you can tell i do not post up here much. Yet.

Interesting comments. 1st -I have heard about the non-service. I began working with Russ about 6 month ago and it is my job to make sure this is no longer the case. I am easy to contact and will provide answers.

I am eagerly awaiting the results as well. I will be make sure to show actual dyno results of these heads and an installation on an f body.

To the moderators. I have inquired about sponsor ship and should have it taken care of by next week.

Mark
Arao Engineering
Old 04-17-2007, 07:05 AM
11 Second Club

This is from the link on page one.

Originally Posted by Stroker396
The cost of these heads starts at $6999.00

If you were to figure the cost per horsepower they really are no more expensive than other modifications they just make a lot of Horsepower

If say they only add 175hp over stock that would equate to $40 per horsepower gain.

Compare that to other products and it does not seem that unreasonable.

Headers 20hp gain, cost $500 = 25 per horsepower
Heads, valvetrain components 75hp gain, cost $2500= 33 per horsepower
Starting at $6,999? Where do they end? How much for a set that would be recommended to replace ETP LS7 heads on a 408 or bigger shortblock?

175hp over stock? How did they get this number? Did they take a completely stock 346ci LS1 and bolt-on these heads and see 175hp gain? I somehow doubt that.

What I want to know is this. If I had a 416 with ETP LS7 heads, LS7 intake, cam specs around 244/248 114 LSA and all the bolt-ons then how much more power will these heads make on that setup? Not how much HP over stock heads or Patriot budget heads but how much over ETP LS7 heads?

If that HP gain is big then I might consider a set. But if not then I'd rather use the money saved for something like a 4L80E conversion or the N20 refill fund
Old 04-17-2007, 07:13 AM
TECH Addict

Hello All,

I have been a member on here for several months however you can tell i do not post up here much. Yet.

Interesting comments. 1st -I have heard about the non-service. I began working with Russ about 6 month ago and it is my job to make sure this is no longer the case. I am easy to contact and will provide answers.

I am eagerly awaiting the results as well. I will be make sure to show actual dyno results of these heads and an installation on an f body.

To the moderators. I have inquired about sponsor ship and should have it taken care of by next week.

Mark
Arao Engineering

Mark,

I am glad to see that you are on here answering questions.

Here is my question to you: Where do you see these heads fitting in?? Personally I do not know of any racing series that would allow them. Are they aimed at just the high-end street cars?? Have you performed any high rpm tests or durablility tests with the valvetrain??

Once you get actual engine dyno #'s up that will help. Better yet, put the engine in a f-body and take it to the track and get a timeslip!!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

I'm sure others besides me will appreciate that, Mark, but you really should try hard to get a trusted, independent third-party (perhaps a magazine) to build and evaluate an engine with your heads. I have to confess that even though I find the dyno results already on your website from your SBC heads very interesting, I'm also heavily discounting them as unverified marketing until I see similar numbers from an independent source.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 PM
TECH Regular

Very nice design, but a little to expensive for the gains over a 2 v heads.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:34 PM
FormerVendor

Sorry guys, I am used to being automatically subscribed once responding to a thread. Should be signed up now.

Here is the deal.
1. This is the first look, This is the first set, just finished.
2. We are going to get them installed on a motor and do a dyno run
3. we are going to install them in a F body
4. Independant results - Already in the works.
Hot Rod magazine has run an artical in the past we will be touching base for a future artical. Talked to RTM (spike TV) about a feature, will likely not happen until next season due to timing.
5. There are many niche markets and many sets of heads available to suit all needs. i.e. The budget minded. and yes there are the select few who want all out performance at any cost. The goal when the very first ones were designed was maximum HP and the 4V setup topped the Hemi and so it was born.

Everything that you all have been asking for is coming. I can only ask please be patient (like I have any) these thing take time. I think major detractor of the GEN I & II heads (clearancing the block) is gone with this new setup and makes it truly a bolt on.

I will post up pics, video as soon as I can and you will see the independant results coming.

If you want to know exactly what kind of power it will make on your setup, as soon as the dyno results are in and we have the flow numbers across the board you can use desktop dyno to see the results. Darren I will keep you posted.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 AM
On The Tree

So, any updates on this yet?

Quick Reply: LS7 Head Has Been Outdone!