Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GM LSX Bowtie Block.. Likes, Dislikes, etc??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
First off, eastside built my motor, their rep. speaks for itself. 2nd, if you are putting a motor like what you are talking about in a car with a 4ljunkie transmission, be ready to put a tranny in the car every week... no 4ljunkie is gonna take that power and survive, it's th400 or glide time, or a 4l80 at a minimum..... but I figure you already know that.. and should be planning accordignly
Having 700 rwhp thru a driveline like a motor like that should have, will get 6 maybe 8 mpg, and I question if that power level can be reached with pump gas, it's gonna take some compression to get to 700 rw on motor thru a th400/glide.

I'd like to see you get the mileage you are stating thru a th400/5000+ converter..... that's not gonna happen.
MY car is and always will remain a 100% street car, my stall will be nowhere near 5,000, more like a 3200 or maybe a 3700. I already have a built to the hilt 4L80E waiting, a guy had it built and its never been in a car, its brand new, it will hold 650-700 RWHP all day long driving it hard.

It's real simple:
My builder (not a sponsor) has made between 560-590 RWHP a dozen times already with cam upgrade, header/exhaust and hand porting the heads on the 427ci LS7 Z06's. And these are NOT bullshit numbers (lies) like some of the builders claiming over 600 RWHP gains with the same modding of a C6 Z06.

When he does a 454ci LSX iron using All-Pro heads or even the ETP canted valve heads, a real intake (not the cheezy LS7 intake) like the Wilson sheet metal and 12:1 cr........it will make 650 RWHP or more through a 4L80E. The 6mpg issue you talk about, in my opinion anyway, is just hilarious. And if that does happen, I really wouldn't care as this will be a fun weekend car. Not my daily driver every day of the week.

Also, the mpg I stated is what I'm making with my current 436 and a 3200 stall through a 4L60E, where did you read that I was going to make that with the new set-up????????

I also find it funny how so many people here and on other boards are so quick to say "it can't be done". 500 RWHP was said to be impossible at one point, so was 550, 580 and 600. 600 is being done in daily driver street cars with smooth idles in Austraila for over a year now, (call Harrop, they'll tell you of dozens of cars that are over 600), they are way ahead of us.
The 650 RWHP I seek will be common place in 8-10 months, I want to do it now. And my builder WILL.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off, eastside built my motor, their rep. speaks for itself.
Their astounding rep obviouslly wasn't put into the motor they sold me.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:13 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

beast not sure what the problem was... what happened and what was it being used for? I don't personally know of a single failure that wasn't able to be traced back to abuse/misuse, bad nitrous tuning, someone cranking up boost beyond what the build was meant for that type of thing... tell me what happend... take it to PM if you'd like I am curious what happened.

quicken you were quick to junp at the 6 mpg comment saying it woudn't be the case. If you're putting a 4l80 behind it, that's probaly a good decision, it's the only overdrive equipped option that has a chance of taking the power you plan to make. I do believe that 650 rw can eb done, hell I think 800 rw is possible but you're not gonna do it on pump gas and be able to drive it every day.... and to put a motor making that type of power in a daily driver, to me is a waste of a good race motor. A weekend fun car go for it... but something you have to rely on to go make $.. bad idea.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

beast not sure what the problem was... what happened and what was it being used for? I don't personally know of a single failure that wasn't able to be traced back to abuse/misuse, bad nitrous tuning, someone cranking up boost beyond what the build was meant for that type of thing... tell me what happend... take it to PM if you'd like I am curious what happened.
PM sent
Old 05-20-2007, 09:13 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Damn since when did Canfield have a LSX head on the market??

I talked to my shop Fri. I would be getting their new design, it's not for sale yet. He is working with them on the design and getting the blue prints final before production. He also has the block blue prints, he was part of the team that was working on building the new torque plates. I was not supposed to open my mouth. Like I said previously, I have pulled the plug on a Pro-charger project anyway, weight issue & family health issue. I still want one and I hope someone gets one going soon, so I can see how it holds up to 2000+ HP. Sorry.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

quicken you were quick to junp at the 6 mpg comment saying it woudn't be the case. If you're putting a 4l80 behind it, that's probaly a good decision, it's the only overdrive equipped option that has a chance of taking the power you plan to make. I do believe that 650 rw can eb done, hell I think 800 rw is possible but you're not gonna do it on pump gas and be able to drive it every day.... and to put a motor making that type of power in a daily driver, to me is a waste of a good race motor. A weekend fun car go for it... but something you have to rely on to go make $.. bad idea.
Again, just think, there are 560-590 RWHP rather mild cammed, emissions friendly, daily driver C6 Z06's, 93 octane PUMP GAS, at least in Ft. Lauderdale from the man who's gonna build my engine.

With 27 more cubes, and an intake that makes the LS7 intake look like total CRAP and heads that flow over 400 cfm @650 and higher compression..........thats about 40 hp just from the extra cubes......but more importantly, the increase from using a serious sheet metal intake that allows the heads to flow near their potential. If the LS7 heads can only flow in the 360's with the LS7 intake on top, there's potentially another 45cfm's to be unleashed. At 1 hp per cfm increase in hp (rule of thumb), thats about another 45 hp right there. There's 85 HP to be had from using a sheet metal intake and those heads............650 RWHP will be ASSURED. And this builder uses rather small cams than most builders use. Every engine he builds idles very nice. And pump gas is another issue.

More cubes allows for being able to run pump gas with higher and higher power levels.

You want to make a 346ci that makes 550 RWHP, you need race gas. Use a 427 and you'll make 550 RWHP all day long on pump gas. Make a 454 and it just gets easier.

Time will tell.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quickin
Again, just think, there are 560-590 RWHP rather mild cammed, emissions friendly, daily driver C6 Z06's, 93 octane PUMP GAS, at least in Ft. Lauderdale from the man who's gonna build my engine.

With 27 more cubes, and an intake that makes the LS7 intake look like total CRAP and heads that flow over 400 cfm @650 and higher compression..........thats about 40 hp just from the extra cubes......but more importantly, the increase from using a serious sheet metal intake that allows the heads to flow near their potential. If the LS7 heads can only flow in the 360's with the LS7 intake on top, there's potentially another 45cfm's to be unleashed. At 1 hp per cfm increase in hp (rule of thumb), thats about another 45 hp right there. There's 85 HP to be had from using a sheet metal intake and those heads............650 RWHP will be ASSURED. And this builder uses rather small cams than most builders use. Every engine he builds idles very nice. And pump gas is another issue.

More cubes allows for being able to run pump gas with higher and higher power levels.

You want to make a 346ci that makes 550 RWHP, you need race gas. Use a 427 and you'll make 550 RWHP all day long on pump gas. Make a 454 and it just gets easier.

Time will tell.

Well damn.. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!! lol
Old 05-20-2007, 11:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1QuickT-A
Well damn.. HURRY UP ALREADY!!!! lol
My builder has to build a GM LSX twin-turbo for a guy who is running a 7 second Grand National. He's pulling his 271ci turbo (that my builder built for him awhile ago) and replacing it with the new LSX TT. He's going for 2,000+ hp. As soon as he's done with his, mine is next.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:34 PM
10 Second Club

My builder has to build a GM LSX twin-turbo for a guy who is running a 7 second Grand National. He's pulling his 271ci turbo (that my builder built for him awhile ago) and replacing it with the new LSX TT. He's going for 2,000+ hp. As soon as he's done with his, mine is next.

Sounds like its gonna be a nasty lil ride!!!
Old 05-21-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time will tell.

In order to take advantage of the extra capabilities of the sheetmetal and wilson intake, rpms are the key, and now you are talking solid roller territory.Don't get the LS7 intake confused with the cathedral port intakes. It is not even close to being the same hindrance as they were. I spoke with a Fast rep and he told me that when they came out with a repalcement for it, don't expect big hp numbers, because the factory intake is so good.

Just because a head flows a higher number doesn't mean that it will make more power. The factory LS7 port is damn near perfect for making power. I am not saying that it can't be improved, or that your builder can't improve it. What I am saying is that for a factory port it is the best ever seen. I am saying it is fairly easy to go in and gain 45 cfm worth of flow and kill the power production of the heads. Like I said earlier, i am not knockin your builder or anything, because all I know of him is what you have posted. All I was trying to say is don't get your hopes up too high. There is only so much power a given number of cubic inches can make at a given rpm.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
It only has the LS 4 bolt pattern.

Kurt
Thanks
Old 05-21-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
In order to take advantage of the extra capabilities of the sheetmetal and wilson intake, rpms are the key, and now you are talking solid roller territory.Don't get the LS7 intake confused with the cathedral port intakes. It is not even close to being the same hindrance as they were. I spoke with a Fast rep and he told me that when they came out with a repalcement for it, don't expect big hp numbers, because the factory intake is so good.

Just because a head flows a higher number doesn't mean that it will make more power. The factory LS7 port is damn near perfect for making power. I am not saying that it can't be improved, or that your builder can't improve it. What I am saying is that for a factory port it is the best ever seen. I am saying it is fairly easy to go in and gain 45 cfm worth of flow and kill the power production of the heads. Like I said earlier, i am not knockin your builder or anything, because all I know of him is what you have posted. All I was trying to say is don't get your hopes up too high. There is only so much power a given number of cubic inches can make at a given rpm.
People have flowed the LS7 intake on top of hand ported LS7 heads and it holds back the capability of the heads big time. Which in turn makes a 427 cubic inch engine also a waste. Each part holds back the next. I want to use a Hogan or Wilson. Spin a hydraulic cam as much as it can safely spin. High rev kit of course and a good valve train to handle it.

The ITB intakes are nice, but my god they're expensive, and so far they seem to be a huge pain in the ***. $10,000 for the LS1/2/6 Kinsler ITB intake, CRAZY!!!! Harrop is over $5,000 now.

My builder is going to be the exclusive USA distributor of the Jenvey ITB intake, when it comes out. He's expecting a $2,000-$2,500 price tag. I think he sold his first prototype at the PRI show in Orlando last Oct. for $4,000. It might be the intake everyone can afford that wants an ITB intake. Until than its a sheet metal for me. Since I'm only interested in high rpm highway roll racing it's perfect. The loss of some low end torque will be meaningless considering how much power/torque its gonna make.

Colonel made around 850 hp with the ETP heads and sheet metal intake. Basically, the question is: How much less HP will Colonels engine make just from going from his 15:1 cr to 12:1 cr? Thats what my 454 should make......but I'll have 27 more cubes than his which will be able to breath fully.

?????

Old 05-21-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Addict

You have to remember Colonel was running solid roller and over 8K rpms..
Old 05-21-2007, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
You have to remember Colonel was running solid roller and over 8K rpms..
Thats true. However, my builder said there's no reason to go solid roller, that a properly set-up hydraulic cam/heads will spin quite high too. I think he said he wants to go .700 lift on it.

Last edited by Quickin; 05-21-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:35 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

my hydraulic setup's limiter is set to 8000, and makes damn good pwr to 7600 fwiw
Old 05-22-2007, 05:03 AM
TECH Addict

my hydraulic setup's limiter is set to 8000, and makes damn good pwr to 7600 fwiw
That is the highest I have heard of a hyd roller spinning.

I thought about this last night. You will gain quite a few extra HP because of the Iron block. Now that I think about it, 650 rwhp should not be a problem at all...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Banned

Colonel made around 850 hp with the ETP heads and sheet metal intake. Basically, the question is: How much less HP will Colonels engine make just from going from his 15:1 cr to 12:1 cr? Thats what my 454 should make......but I'll have 27 more cubes than his which will be able to breath fully.

?????

Just to get your facts stright,Colonel's motor has an older version C5R heads and ONLY dynoed 798 fwhp !

I like it when people talk like 800+ fwhp or 650+ rwhp is easy as pie to make also Ive seen hyd roller motors turn damn near 8000 RPM but only in hyd limited classes but why? You will spend MORE money to manage a hyd motor then a good solid roller setup.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Futral
I like it when people talk like 800+ fwhp or 650+ rwhp is easy as pie to make also Ive seen hyd roller motors turn damn near 8000 RPM but only in hyd limited classes but why? You will spend MORE money to manage a hyd motor then a good solid roller setup.
I'd have to agree with that.. You can make the same or most of the time a good bit more power and do it at a lower rpm range with a solid roller and there is no need for the high dollar lifters and rev kits. People get scared when you start talkin solid rollers because they think you have to adjust them all the time, but in reality you don't have to adjust them that much at all if any as long as you have a good set of rocker arms with stud girdles or a nice set of shaft mounts your good to go in most cases.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Futral
Just to get your facts stright,Colonel's motor has an older version C5R heads and ONLY dynoed 798 fwhp !
The engine you speak of, is it the one that ran on the dyno and was posted here for everyone to watch? The engine that Colonel is selling for like $20,000?

I thought it did like 836 fwhp and used the ETP CV heads that flowed 430cfm.

Maybe I'm thinking of a different engine than.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:17 AM

This may be a crime but i happen to have a 240 sx with a 454cid lsx in it. last dyno was 735 rwhp on pump gas N/A. With a tank of 110 and more timing we pulled 765 out of it. thing is though hot days are a no/no and i have a bigger cooling system than you could fit in a gm. two is it is a solid roller, and will loosen your fillings when it idles it lopes so bad. i am actually planing on trashing this motor when i get back from Iraq and building a turbo setup. I could have that much power and drive it everyday.

Last edited by 240sxlsx; 05-23-2007 at 01:22 AM.

Quick Reply: GM LSX Bowtie Block.. Likes, Dislikes, etc??