Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angel71rs

HOLY SH*T!!!!

I posted the other day when I saw a valvespring shifted like this and nobody answered me back....

I guess I have a broken one under there.....
Old 05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Funny how a little bit of internet hearsay turns into concrete proof. Magic...Lets do a poll shall we? Maybe that will be the statistical analysis that will prove this theory.

As with any product, proper installation is key. How many people that use 918s actually check the install height? How many actually shim the springs so that they are at the proper install height. All of these things are important factors not only in the performance of a spring but also in its life. How many of these springs are being used with these ridiculously aggressive cam profiles that punish the valvetrain? So many variables....yet everyone wants simple answers....typical...

Andrew
Yes I guess I was a bit over the top when I posted that but with more reports coming through regarding busted 918's it's a little disconcerting. The springs and cam get installed in a cpl of days and will be installed by an experianced engine builder. I am sure the 918's will hold up but will allways have that nagging thought in the back of my mind whenever I spin it up high regarding the possiblity of totalling a new motor.

cheers
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you guys that have had them break or know people who had them break post up the batch #'s? I have a set I bought in december 06 and want to know if I have the same batch as them.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:37 PM
Teching In

That would be nice to know. Just bought a set form THUNDER!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Wouldn't mind knowing myself...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have the box from mine anymore......

on a related note, I finally found out my new Patriots will be here friday....
Old 05-31-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can't go wrong with the Patriot or PRC duals..I put 44,000 miles on a set or PRC duals with a .598 lift cam in a DD and had no problems with them at all..I was still shifting the car at 6800 rpms till the day I replaced them..I just do not have that much confidence in a single spring compared to a dual spring ... I put a ton of miles on my car every year
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

update: I've just heard a friend of mine has a broken 918 on his motor too....I don't know any details yet, but add another one to the list....
Old 06-01-2007, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the guy with 10 of 16 broken. Batch number posted. Let me know what you guys have too.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:43 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I posted about this a year ago. The response I got was that they were installed incorrectly lol.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well atleast I don't have the same batch # but this thread is making me a little paranoid about the 918's on my car now.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:41 PM
Teching In

Great, the batch number on my box of 918's is 50808, that's pretty close to 49826. I bought these from Summit last November. I hate to waste money on parts never used, but I am seriously thinking of getting a different spring.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Junkie

why if your on the stock cam?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Going to be installing Crane 1.8 roller rockers. On paper everything should be ok, especially since sticking with stock cam, but just want to be sure.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

on the corvette forum ones.....i'd lean towards something else was wrong. Did the springs ever get baked? who put the springs on and the rest of the engine together?
10 broken springs I think is the result of something other than the springs being 100% at fault. what was the lift? shims? stock rockers? pushrods? heads milled? anything altered from stock? Theres got to be something else.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
on the corvette forum ones.....i'd lean towards something else was wrong. Did the springs ever get baked? who put the springs on and the rest of the engine together?
10 broken springs I think is the result of something other than the springs being 100% at fault. what was the lift? shims? stock rockers? pushrods? heads milled? anything altered from stock? Theres got to be something else.
I agree. 1 or 2 springs I would lean towards a defective spring, but 10 out of 16, there has to be something else. I installed mine in december, about 5-6k miles ago and have no problems, shoot my car pulls an MS4 cammed car. I have NEVER, not once, taken my car over 2k rpm until it has reached full operating temperature. Of course I drive my car like a grandpa and it only gets run at WOT about once a week.

Just my 2 cents.
James
Old 06-02-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

It would appear to be more than just coincidental that all 10 broke at the 1st top coil. That has to have something to do with the fact none of them came apart before disassembly. He's real lucky he didn't have a catastrophic engine failure considering he was running that engine with 10 broken springs. I would have bought a Powerball ticket after finding out I had dodged a bullet like that.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
It would appear to be more than just coincidental that all 10 broke at the 1st top coil. That has to have something to do with the fact none of them came apart before disassembly. He's real lucky he didn't have a catastrophic engine failure considering he was running that engine with 10 broken springs. I would have bought a Powerball ticket after finding out I had dodged a bullet like that.

Mine appears to be broken in the same spot.....the rest of the spring is intact....I'll know for sure wednesday when they get replaced.
Old 06-02-2007, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

I've installed over a dozen sets of these with no failures. The cams they were used with did not exceed COMPs recommendations.

Sorry to hear some of you are having problems. Any chance for user error here? Be honest please, everyone makes mistakes. I know I would like to know if the springs really are the problem here.
Old 06-02-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
I've installed over a dozen sets of these with no failures. The cams they were used with did not exceed COMPs recommendations.

Sorry to hear some of you are having problems. Any chance for user error here? Be honest please, everyone makes mistakes. I know I would like to know if the springs really are the problem here.
Chad,

ZERO user error. Of those dozen, how many have you visually inspected AFTER installation, months later.

Remember, we are talking about a STOCK NOT MODIFIED LS6 engine. There was a 216/222 585 116 cam in the car for a few months, but I took it out planning to go turbo. The truth is when I started noticing the power loss was when the car was COMPLETELY STOCK w/stock cam. I even have the stock airbox. I RARELY hit the rev limiter and even when I do, its just a tap and I let off or shift.

Not only was there no error on install, but your theory of no failure on dozens of installations is flawed. Besides the orientation of the spring, it is difficult to see they are broken. The actuall part of the spring that is broken is under the retainer. The way I figured this out was after a quick sprint in 2nd gear to 6400 (stock cam), I noticed a loss in power the rest of the day driving the car. It was OBSCURE and difficult to tell the springs were broken except for the ones that were shifted upon visual inspection.

I would recommend before you apply the blanket state that you have not had problems with your installs/springs, you inspect them first. Note, that my car was probably still a low 12 sec ride even w/broken valve springs. After I personally changed them out to stock, it gained a lot of power and smoothed out on top end.

These springs, at least mine, were defective. This fact was verifed by Comp Cams, though they did consider a credit on return and inspection.
This post is for the benefit of those who wish to inspect their springs. If ANY disorientation of the spring is evident, it is likely broke. I seriously doubt you would recognize this fact since 1 or 2 springs broken wouldn't result in a huge power loss and the spring still has minimal tension on it.

Regarding corvetteforum ,spring breaks what is is reason for suspected incorrect install?

Quick Reply: what the hell is going on with Comp 918s????