Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

.800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007 | 08:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by J-Rod
The size of the LSx cam core allows for the use of lobes and lifts that would normally not be avaliable in previous generation motors. That is why we are able to run such high lifts. GM did a good thing with the LSx in that respect.

As was correctly stated I think you are going to need to step up to a larger cam tunnel bore (like 60-70MM or so). Think of it this way; if you have a 50-55mm core and your lobe lift is maxed out, switching to a larger core lets you increase the base circle by the amount you increase the core size and still have the same lift. What this allows you to do is spread the lifter acceleration stresses out over a greater area. That is going to be key to keeping the valvetrain alive.

I tell you what. I know someone who will build you the cam you want. You can call Comp and talk with one of the Sr. Engineers. But, I suspect they will tell you to go pound sand. So, I tell you what, call Howard. He goes by UDHarold on speedtalk. His number is 662-301-1245.

Alternately, you can go get the comp lobe book and start picking lobes out. You'll find a lot of lobes to get inthe lift range you want to get to. But, you better plan on spending some time on the spintron....

You've convinced me that you won't listen. So, I'll do what I can so that you can go down that road, and then you can use your experiences to educate folks on what the cost is to go down this road. So, I look forward to your reports back on how this little "experiment" works.
You referring to me or "UDHarold" (wherever that post came from that you are quoting).

I do listen, and I will not be running a stupid high lift on this street engine if its not advisable. And my builder advises against it. See, I can learn.

My builder immediately said not to do it, I just started this thread to see if anyone has tried and if so, what were the results. Things change fast in this industry, crazy new things come up all the time.

Q

Last edited by Quickin; 06-06-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2007 | 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

hey Quickin, hows it going?? see you're causing a few fireworks! good on you!

really guys things move VERY fast in the tuning world. things that couldn't even happen on race cars a few years ago are making there way to the street!

thanks Chris.
Old 06-07-2007 | 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
Do not use the canted valve heads on anything remotely a street car. There LS7 or 265 heads will be more than enough flow and keep the cam under 700 or even 650 if want it to last more than a couple weeks with out a rebuild.

Nate
x2...I think low 700's is more than enough..How much power you wanting to make?
Old 06-07-2007 | 01:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chuntington101
hey Quickin, hows it going?? see you're causing a few fireworks! good on you!
You know me, I want what I want

Old 06-07-2007 | 01:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
..How much power you wanting to make?
My goal N/A on pump gas is 650 RWHP through a 4L80E. Than spray a 200-300 progressive shot. I'll be pretty happy with 600 though.

Can't wait for all the people to say that it can NEVER EVER be done

I know the 4L80E is a beast, but so is a 454ci built to the hilt with all the good stuff.

Old 06-07-2007 | 04:55 AM
TECH Junkie

I'm running 1.100 lift on my daily driven CTS-V, I don't see why this would be so hard to do?
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Pat G is the man. Always polite and gives so much help -- way, way more than any other mod (or member) 'cept maybe Pred-Z. If he blew up at this guy, it's because he's a ******* retard and deserved it. I laughed so hard when I read that post.
Yeah, the title got a chuckle out of me. This thread is coming from a guy who claims GM LS7 ti rods are nothing but a marketing gimmick for a car salesman to use. People here just don't know
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Quickin
Might be ridiculous to you, not to me. What part is ridiculous anyway? Me and my builder spoke with Cary at ET yesterday at length about using his canted valve heads, different intakes, combos and specific parts, for my 454 LSX build. MY CAR IS A 100% STREET CAR. My builder is concerned about that much lift on the street so I'm asking on a General Motors forum where LSx type engines are used quite a bit, to see if anyone has done this with any success.

My builder has two LSX builds going right now, a 2,000hp single turbo 450ci and a 454ci for a Vette owner....................................mine is next after he completes these two. I'm trying to look into every option.

So, again, whats so ridiculous???

Oh, and so I'm not called a liar, which I'm sure is coming:

Sounds like you need a solid roller. No one says they cant be 100% streetable but they do require some maitenance on the owners end? Would I do it? Sure you betcha. I mean the cam im running is too tight on P to V now for a street setup so theres no reason not to. The cam I run makes some killer power for my street raced car and id do a solid roller in a heartbeat to drive on the street just like I do this car.
Old 06-07-2007 | 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

What would you have said just 5 years that a 2,300 hp street driven daily driver engine could be buolt from a small block? You would have laughed....well they're here and VERY reliable.
Who on earth daily drives a 2300 hp car? And before you say "so and so on the internet" anybody can say they can drive a car on the street doesnt mean its a street driven daily driver. The car in my signature made around 2300 hp and believe me the maintence required to keep it running in top shape is much more than most people would endure for a car they have to get to and from work in.

Last edited by maddboost; 06-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2007 | 03:42 PM
TECH Addict

Quicken, the paramount thing thats stuck in my head is this. You speak of this "builder", as most people do, and seem to have alot of confidence in him. I dont know why you would have much of anything to ask to the board, especially off the wall stuff like this thread. When you are at the beginning of a project to which you have admitted to defer back to the "builder". If I were him and had to listen to suggestions and comments based from the internet, I would kick you or anyone else out of my shop. Thats not meant to be a slam. That is how I would feel in his situation.
Old 06-07-2007 | 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maddboost
Who on earth daily drives a 2300 hp car? And before you say "so and so on the internet" anybody can say they can drive a car on the street doesnt mean its a street driven daily driver. The car in my signature made around 2300 hp and believe me the maintence required to keep it running in top shape is much more than most people would endure for a car they have to get to and from work in.
Good lord I'm glad somebody said it..
Old 06-07-2007 | 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by maddboost
All I can tell you is: NRE, he does it. He builds all of his TT sbc engines FOR STREET USE and is now building these same 427's and 454's using the LSX Iron block, which makes for a better, stronger and more reliable platform for what his builds.

Here ya go:
His crazy as engines are in MANY MANY cars, STREET CARS.
Make sure you watch the video till it stops.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/v...KHP454HIGH.wmv

Old 06-07-2007 | 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

All I can tell you is: NRE, he does it. He builds all of his TT sbc engines FOR STREET USE and is now building these same 427's and 454's using the LSX Iron block, which makes for a better, stronger and more reliable platform for what his builds.

Here ya go:
His crazy as engines are in MANY MANY cars, STREET CARS.
Make sure you watch the video till it stops.
http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/v...KHP454HIGH.wmv

2300hp, streetable and reliable? I guess it all depends on what your definition of those claims are.
Old 06-07-2007 | 09:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Quicken, the paramount thing thats stuck in my head is this. You speak of this "builder", as most people do, and seem to have alot of confidence in him. I dont know why you would have much of anything to ask to the board, especially off the wall stuff like this thread. When you are at the beginning of a project to which you have admitted to defer back to the "builder". If I were him and had to listen to suggestions and comments based from the internet, I would kick you or anyone else out of my shop. Thats not meant to be a slam. That is how I would feel in his situation.
All I can say is: My builder isn't a ********. He realizes that the majority of people out there that want powerful street cars are just LIKE ME, people that want the expert to build it and they will drive it. My builder neither has the internet in his office or in his house, he hates it, he thinks the internet is the first step towards garbage information and ******** that argue. And my builder does put me in my place, but he also likes to answer all my questions. Kicking someone out of a shop? I'd probably kick someones *** if they told me to do that in their shop, than I'd leave.

I didn't come here to ask how to build this entire engine, my builder can figure that out. I'm interested in doing something that hasen't been done yet. I think I've been laboring to get this message across, apparently with zero success.

One more time for ya:
I simply wanted to see if anyone IS, or KNOWS of anyone that has TRIED something like I'm wondering about. Key word.......TRIED. And if so, what combo worked.

Not to slam you or anyone else: But what the **** is so hard to understand about this?

Geez...I had an SES light come on tonight and posted about it in the PCM section because there's a little confusion to me about what the problem may be regarding what it says for the code on two different sites, am I gonna get all kinds of **** about that too because I'm not a PCM/Tuner expert?

If it wasn't for non-experts like me this site would be ****, and there would probably only be a couple builders in this country that can stay in business because everyone can do it all by themsleves.

Old 06-07-2007 | 09:30 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

You know once you put a bad mother like that together your going to need a seperate engine Management system like BS3 no way is your car ever going to be happy running a motor like that with a stock pcm.And your going to have to step up and spend time learing how to tune and not run to the autopart store and ask the 16 year old with the scanner whats wrong with my car.I think its doable what you want but your going to have a high Maintenance engine package.If anybody can setup a set of heads to do what you want ETP is the right direction.
Old 06-07-2007 | 09:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tuff
You know once you put a bad mother like that together your going to need a seperate engine Management system like BS3 no way is your car ever going to be happy running a motor like that with a stock pcm.And your going to have to step up and spend time learing how to tune and not run to the autopart store and ask the 16 year old with the scanner whats wrong with my car.I think its doable what you want but your going to have a high Maintenance engine package.If anybody can setup a set of heads to do what you want ETP is the right direction.
Electromotive lap top programmable.

Old 06-07-2007 | 09:52 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Electromotive lap top programmable.

As long as your engine bulider is on the payroll im sure he won't mind.
Old 06-07-2007 | 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tuff
As long as your engine bulider is on the payroll im sure he won't mind.
This is a "spare-no-expense" build

And I don't have to learn to tune engines/PCM's, my builder does the tuning for all the engines he builds and he lives 8 miles from me.

Old 06-07-2007 | 09:58 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

This is a "spare-no-expense" build

And I don't have to learn to tune engines/PCM's, my builder does the tuning for all the engines he builds and he lives 8 miles from me.

Good luck with the bulid.
Old 06-08-2007 | 06:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Quickin, give it up man.
Yes you asked a question, the silly part was [100% DD]
J-Rod explained to ya why this is not realistic.

By the time we can run .800>.900 lifts reliably on the street 100% we will be out of petroleum on earth.
Look realisticaly at solid roller setups. That is about as big as we can go in LSX. Look what it takes to run solid and the maintenance needed.

By continuing you rhetoric it is just justifying Patrick's answer and why he did it.

I really think we said all we can say about tech in this thread.
This turning into a Clinton paparazi thread

Last edited by PREDATOR-Z; 06-08-2007 at 06:34 AM.

Quick Reply: .800 to .900 lift for a 100% street car....anyone doing it with success?