Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

600RW n/a...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I can understand that, however this thread is about a no holds barred n/a motor.
w3rd.

I can understand that a bigger valve is different to cam, maybe even harder for some, but to say there are no benefits to one is ridiculous. It is much easier to get flow out of a larger valve. That is the reason iit is done, period. It makes good sense (to me!!)that a larger valve will like more lift to hit the peak flow on it than a smaller valve.
agreed, and with that in mind, you'd want to consider an intake manifold design to compliment that aspect.

Using port volume to determine whether a head is worth anything is as useless as using just flow numbers. IF that arguement held water, the L92 heads would make no torque and incredible upper rpm power, when in fact when done properly they make phenomenal low rpm torque and peak rather low. I know that is kind of a blanket statement, but I have seen many of these setups produce very similiar results.
This agrument simply has far to many dynamics to be nailed down to a one size fits all fix. You have to take into account intake design, exhaust flow, exhaust primaries, compression, cam profile ect..

It seems to me that the larger runner rectangle port heads are very lazy in regaurds to power production simply because the ports dont build a similar velocity to the cathedral design. Add forced induction to these heads and watch out.

Last edited by Vents; 07-02-2007 at 04:26 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Vents][QUOTE=Stang's Bane]I can understand that, however this thread is about a no holds barred n/a motor.

w3rd.

agreed, and with that in mind, you'd want to consider an intake manifold design to compliment that aspect.

This agrument simply has far to many dynamics to be nailed down to a one size fits all fix. You have to take into effect intake design, exhaust flow, exhaust primaries, compression, cam profile ect..

It seems to me that the larger runner rectangle port heads are very lazy in regaurds to power production simply because the ports dont build a similar velocity to the cathedral design. Add forced induction to these heads and watch out.
I don't know if I would call them lazy, I believe that different is a more accurate term.

Otherwise, I agree with you. An engine is more than a set of heads and a cam. It is a total combination. Just wait until the LSX shootout, I believe the vast majority of the top all motor cars will be running rectangular port heads. JMHO!
Old 07-02-2007, 04:47 PM
LS1 Tech Administrator

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My reference to Brian Tooley's quote was in regards to the TFS headed car running a plastic intake spanking an ETP headed motor with a sheet metal intake. When running a plastic intake, you can expect diminishing returns once you exceed a certain flow number, even with an LS7 intake, hence the dependance on strong mid-lift flow numbers.

Also, you can't make a blanket statement that a larger 2.20" intake valve should flow more air than a 2.08" valve because you also have to consider chamber and bore shrouding. The larger the intake valve, typically the more the valve will encounter shrouding from the chamber wall and cylinder bore. In the case of the TFS head, they get superior mid-lift flow by running a smaller valve and positioning it further away from the chamber wall and bore.

In a nutshell, this illustrates that it does not take a no-holds-barred approach to make 600 rwhp. Making 700 rwhp probably would. In that case, much higher compression, solid roller cam, and a head/intake combo that is geared to ingest more air than one running a plastic intake.

2013 Corvette Grand Sport A6 LME forged 416, Greg Good ported TFS 255 LS3 heads, 222/242 .629"/.604" 121LSA Pat G blower cam, ARH 1 7/8" headers, ESC Novi 1500 Supercharger w/8 rib direct drive conversion, 747rwhp/709rwtq on 93 octane, 801rwhp/735rwtq on race fuel, 10.1 @ 147.25mph 1/4 mile, 174.7mph Half Mile.
2016 Corvette Z51 M7 Magnuson Heartbeat 2300 supercharger, TSP LT headers, Pat G tuned, 667rwhp, 662rwtq, 191mph TX Mile.
2009.5 Pontiac G8 GT 6.0L, A6, AFR 230v2 heads. 506rwhp/442rwtq. 11.413 @ 121.29mph 1/4 mile, 168.7mph TX Mile
2000 Pewter Ram Air Trans Am M6 heads/cam 508 rwhp/445 rwtq SAE, 183.092 TX Mile
2022 Cadillac Escalade 6.2L A10 S&B CAI, Corsa catback.
2023 Corvette 3LT Z51 soon to be modified.
Custom LSX tuning in person or via email press here.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Patrick G
My reference to Brian Tooley's quote was in regards to the TFS headed car running a plastic intake spanking an ETP headed motor with a sheet metal intake. When running a plastic intake, you can expect diminishing returns once you exceed a certain flow number, even with an LS7 intake, hence the dependance on strong mid-lift flow numbers.

Also, you can't make a blanket statement that a larger 2.20" intake valve should flow more air than a 2.08" valve because you also have to consider chamber and bore shrouding. The larger the intake valve, typically the more the valve will encounter shrouding from the chamber wall and cylinder bore. In the case of the TFS head, they get superior mid-lift flow by running a smaller valve and positioning it further away from the chamber wall and bore.

In a nutshell, this illustrates that it does not take a no-holds-barred approach to make 600 rwhp. Making 700 rwhp probably would. In that case, much higher compression, solid roller cam, and a head/intake combo that is geared to ingest more air than one running a plastic intake.

What you say may or may not be true so I won't dispute it. BUT I've tried many of the LS heads out there ( Pro-Port, ALL PRO, E/T, ported factory stuff yada, yada) and the 4.0 & 4.1 E/T heads are hard to beat... Best #'s on a 4.0 and up bore LS engine. But with that said, I'll bite. I'm not too stubborn to try something new so I called Vengeance and Total Air Flow today to see about getting a set of these "super flowing small heads" and nobody picked up the phone... Not a good sign.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:46 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Patrick G

Tooley again........

I am willing to put a bet that a 454 with a 2.20 intake valve has better flowing heads then a 408 with a 2.08 valve.... shrouding is not an issue with a smaller bore. If both intakes have the same cross sectional area and equal FPM..... it is mute to argue that the smaller valve heads will flow more.

Cant wait to see what a real L92 head flows! 2.125 intake and 1.60 exhaust for the win..... on a 408 btw. I am looking for 510-520 thru the TH400, big stall, heavy wheels.

btw; logic does tend to agree with him about over valving a head/bore. Too much is a bad thing....

IMO, LSX block, 4.1 crank, EWP, Pulley, ET LS7 heads, Sheetmetal intake, T-56, and 17 inch stock wheels....... = 600 N/A RWHP all day long!

Wonder if it is do-able with a set of small valve L92 heads and a L92 block??

Last edited by WizeAss; 07-02-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
Tooley again........

I am willing to put a bet that a 454 with a 2.20 intake valve has better flowing heads then a 408 with a 2.08 valve.... shrouding is not an issue with a smaller bore. If both intakes have the same cross sectional area and equal FPM..... it is mute to argue that the smaller valve heads will flow more.

Cant wait to see what a real L92 head flows! 2.125 intake and 1.60 exhaust for the win..... on a 408 btw. I am looking for 510-520 thru the TH400, big stall, heavy wheels.

btw; logic does tend to agree with him about over valving a head/bore. Too much is a bad thing....

IMO, LSX block, 4.1 crank, EWP, Pulley, ET LS7 heads, Sheetmetal intake, T-56, and 17 inch stock wheels....... = 600 N/A RWHP all day long!

Wonder if it is do-able with a set of small valve L92 heads and a L92 block??
That would do 600 rwhp through an automatic. 650 ++through a t-56. You don't even need a set of ET's.

Everyone here would be surprised how good the factory ls7 stuff is, even up snug to the cylinder wall.

I have been thinking about this big valve vs. small valve thing all night. There has to be a reason GM put the big valve in the ls7 stuff, I really don't think that they went through all the trouble of putting titianium valves in a production car just for ****'s and giggles. AS far as the factory intake port, let us think about that as well. If it was as easy as many people think to get more power out of it, don't you think they would have incorporated it into the factory CNC program?? A running change would not have cost them very much at all. IMHO, I believe that there are reasons that the whole head is designed and made like it is, very good reasons. I am not saying that it can't be improved, I believe it can, however I also think that it is much easier to go in there and get more flow out of it and lose power.

It bears out two points that are discussed often

1) flow numbers are not everything
2) port size is not everything either...
Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can understand that, however this thread is about a no holds barred n/a motor.
He was looking for 600 RWHP combo's so I gave him one, with pump gas and a hyd roller cam no less.

I can understand that a bigger valve is different to cam, maybe even harder for some, but to say there are no benefits to one is ridiculous. It is much easier to get flow out of a larger valve. That is the reason iit is done, period. It makes good sense (to me!!)that a larger valve will like more lift to hit the peak flow on it than a smaller valve.
Your right, it is easier to get flow out of a larger valve, now how much easier does the larger intake valve flow BACKWARDS? This is not some theory I came up with, this is what we have found in testing. You have to look at when the intake valve closes during the compression stroke, the piston is a full 1/3 the way up the bore during the compression stroke BEFORE the intake valve closes, it is during this time that a bigger intake valve is much more likely to suffer from intake port reversion, or the charge going back INTO the intake port. This is not the best way to build HP on a street/strip car. GM used that size valve because they were using VERY short intake cam durations, and that combination works well together.

For Brian to make a blanket statement that .400 lift is the most important number is hard for me to digest. To me and my simple little mind, it seems like each lift point that a valve passes on the way to peak lift would be equally important. Doesn't it pass all of these points twice? Won't the lift point at which peak intake flow occurs help decide what lift point is the most important? I can theoretically understand how one point will be most influential in the range of lift, but like anything else, other factors will determine what that point is.
I tend to say mid lift flow is most important on a street/strip car (.300"-.500"), but with the .400" flow number being in the middle, it is easy to say it is the most important, because if you have a killer .400" flow number, the chances are very good that the .300" and .500" are also going to be very good, and that is what makes power. For a race engine you can move that up .100", so the .400"-.600" flow numbers become the most important, and I don't care if you are using 1.000" of cam lift, the mid lift flow is what makes the power.

You have to bear in mind that we have shipped thousands of heads over the years, have been involved in numerous heads up racing organizations, have set probably close to a hundred records and have had dozens of class champions. You can take my cousin Sam Vincent for example, he has been running the same set of Brodix Neal 318 heads from us for 4 years. He just won the Outlaw World Ford Challenge as well as the last NMRA Outlaw race and holds the record. He has a 440 cu in Small block Ford with nitrous on a tiny 28"x10.5" tire, the engine makes over 900 HP on motor with a cast intake and has run 7.40's @ 187 mph on the spray. His heads flow 360 cfm at .500" lift, once again, what I would consider to be the most important flow number for a race engine and right in the middle of his mid lift of .400"-.600" and he does run over 1.000" of intake lift.

The mid lift flow is so much more important than peak flow due to the fact that the cylinder isn't packed with air at the point of peak lift, it is packed with air when the piston is at the bottom of the intake stroke and is coming back up the bore during the compression stroke. This is called volumetric efficiency, ever think about how you can put 110%-120% of atmospheric pressure in a cylinder? Atmospheric pressure is around 14.7 psi, so you would be putting 16-17 psi of pressure into the cylinder! The valve is closing as the piston approaches bottom dead center and the air is still moving forward, then the piston reaches bottom dead center and starts moving up the bore, and the air is still flowing, if you have enough velocity. The SAME amount of airflow around a smaller valve yields MORE velocity. The more airflow that is available at these mid lift points (.300"-.500") the more air is going to continue to pack the cylinder, at some point the pressure in the cylinder overcomes the pressure of the forward moving mass of air, at that point you have intake port reversion. It is at this exact point that you would want to close the intake valve. Smaller intake valves make your low lift flow lower, the lower your low lift flow is (.100"-.200") the lesser your chance of intake reversion. So the smaller intake valves act more like a "check valve" (if you know what that is) to intake port reversion. The lesser your chance of intake reversion, the easier the engine is to cam and is then easier to make power.

So the bottom line is the intake mid lift is MOST IMPORTANT for making power, regardless of intake used or ANY other factor.

If you can get the same amount of airflow out of a smaller valve it will tend to make more power easier. So you can see why we feel that the TFS heads flowing about what a very well ported L92 or a factory LS7 with a MUCH smaller valve is easier to make power with, it is less sensitive to cam timing. Basically, as you shove more duration at the TFS heads they tend to make more power, you cannot say that about the big valve heads.
Old 07-04-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
He was looking for 600 RWHP combo's so I gave him one, with pump gas and a hyd roller cam no less.

Your right, it is easier to get flow out of a larger valve, now how much easier does the larger intake valve flow BACKWARDS? This is not some theory I came up with, this is what we have found in testing. You have to look at when the intake valve closes during the compression stroke, the piston is a full 1/3 the way up the bore during the compression stroke BEFORE the intake valve closes, it is during this time that a bigger intake valve is much more likely to suffer from intake port reversion, or the charge going back INTO the intake port. This is not the best way to build HP on a street/strip car. GM used that size valve because they were using VERY short intake cam durations, and that combination works well together.

I tend to say mid lift flow is most important on a street/strip car (.300"-.500"), but with the .400" flow number being in the middle, it is easy to say it is the most important, because if you have a killer .400" flow number, the chances are very good that the .300" and .500" are also going to be very good, and that is what makes power. For a race engine you can move that up .100", so the .400"-.600" flow numbers become the most important, and I don't care if you are using 1.000" of cam lift, the mid lift flow is what makes the power.

You have to bear in mind that we have shipped thousands of heads over the years, have been involved in numerous heads up racing organizations, have set probably close to a hundred records and have had dozens of class champions. You can take my cousin Sam Vincent for example, he has been running the same set of Brodix Neal 318 heads from us for 4 years. He just won the Outlaw World Ford Challenge as well as the last NMRA Outlaw race and holds the record. He has a 440 cu in Small block Ford with nitrous on a tiny 28"x10.5" tire, the engine makes over 900 HP on motor with a cast intake and has run 7.40's @ 187 mph on the spray. His heads flow 360 cfm at .500" lift, once again, what I would consider to be the most important flow number for a race engine and right in the middle of his mid lift of .400"-.600" and he does run over 1.000" of intake lift.

The mid lift flow is so much more important than peak flow due to the fact that the cylinder isn't packed with air at the point of peak lift, it is packed with air when the piston is at the bottom of the intake stroke and is coming back up the bore during the compression stroke. This is called volumetric efficiency, ever think about how you can put 110%-120% of atmospheric pressure in a cylinder? Atmospheric pressure is around 14.7 psi, so you would be putting 16-17 psi of pressure into the cylinder! The valve is closing as the piston approaches bottom dead center and the air is still moving forward, then the piston reaches bottom dead center and starts moving up the bore, and the air is still flowing, if you have enough velocity. The SAME amount of airflow around a smaller valve yields MORE velocity. The more airflow that is available at these mid lift points (.300"-.500") the more air is going to continue to pack the cylinder, at some point the pressure in the cylinder overcomes the pressure of the forward moving mass of air, at that point you have intake port reversion. It is at this exact point that you would want to close the intake valve. Smaller intake valves make your low lift flow lower, the lower your low lift flow is (.100"-.200") the lesser your chance of intake reversion. So the smaller intake valves act more like a "check valve" (if you know what that is) to intake port reversion. The lesser your chance of intake reversion, the easier the engine is to cam and is then easier to make power.

So the bottom line is the intake mid lift is MOST IMPORTANT for making power, regardless of intake used or ANY other factor.

If you can get the same amount of airflow out of a smaller valve it will tend to make more power easier. So you can see why we feel that the TFS heads flowing about what a very well ported L92 or a factory LS7 with a MUCH smaller valve is easier to make power with, it is less sensitive to cam timing. Basically, as you shove more duration at the TFS heads they tend to make more power, you cannot say that about the big valve heads.
I would say this man DEFINITELY knows what he's talking about (and then some).
Old 07-05-2007, 01:51 AM
TECH Resident

i had to read this twice- but i undertsand now-
Old 07-05-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I love threads like this. A wealth of knowledge.
Old 07-05-2007, 01:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I think Tooley pretty much just explained why mid-lift flow matters. Yep.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Talk about explaining **** clearly

Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

I in no way ever disputed that mid lift flow was important. I know that to be a fact.
My only dispute was the way it was initially worded. A newbie to head theory(which I am not far from) would have looked at the initial statement and only looked at the flow numbers at .400. Not the total curve. If you have 2 heads that have equal midlift flow and one of them takes off at higher lift and kicks the other ones ***, then I would say that the one with higher numbers at high lift would have the potential to make more power.

I never disputed that making power with a smaller valve was easier. I just wanted to make the point that making power with a big valve is possible, sometimes even preferable. Big valves have their place. If not, why would the TFS head have a 2.08 valve rather than a 2.02??? I have seen cathedral heads reach over 340 cfm with a 2.02 valve. Would that be optimum for a large bore, street/strip engine?? Probably not. The bigger valve makes the production of power easier at lower lifts, again a no-brainer.

Like Tooley said himself, GM used the bigger valve to make better power with a smaller duration camshaft. I think that is the key, to use the proper cam. We have had ~10 years to refine and perfect cam design on cathedral port heads. WE have had under 2 years to work with the rectangle port LS heads. Trust me it will come. It has to, there is too much potential there.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

We're currently making ~500RW on our leading-edge 346s. That's 1.44HP/CI. It stands to reason that we could make 617ish HP, then, with an LS7, since they're comparable engines. And that's not even saying anything about the dry-sump and various other improvements the LS7 has.

Also, think about how the LS7 and L92 heads already flow as good from GM as many aftermarket heads do (I agree with what was said about mid-lift and low-lift, but they do flow better than most comparable heads regardless). Once we figure out how to improve the heads to the extent we've achieved with LS1/LS6 heads, and take rectangle port cam knowledge to a comparable level, I think we'll be looking at cathedral port heads as being as obsolete as SBCs. 500RWHP will be the new 400.

A buddy of mine who is making great power with LS7s in C6Zs says high-lift low-duration cams work best, which is in-line with what Brian said.

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 07-08-2007 at 12:03 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

... low duration INTAKE duration Im guessing, as thats the large valve, the exhaust is pretty much a standard aftermarket size for cathedral heads too.

The trend on cams for square ports seems to be 12 deg split with a fair LSA ~115 to keep overlap at a moderate level. Though the 40* split on one of the GM grinds katech has been messing with will blow your mind.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hitech filled the ports with epoxy and redid the short turn on that high hp L92 setup.
They also ported the L92 intake.

Quick Reply: 600RW n/a...