Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Looking For A Good 427 Shortblock

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking For A Good 427 Shortblock

So Ive been searching around but cant find what im looking for. Who makes a good 427ci short block? I already know what heads and cam Im gonna go with but just want a reliable shortblock, that can handle a small shot of nitrous. I plan on just driving the car on weekends or if its nice outside.
-Vickers
Old 07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

sdpc, tsp, katech, rapid...the list goes on
Old 07-30-2007, 01:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me add to the list of tuners here who can build you a killer 427 shortblock at a great price:

LME, Canadian Performance, Wheel 2 Wheel, and last but not least ERIK KOENIG of HK Racing!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

Another vote for Wheel 2 Wheel.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MTI Houston

Last edited by RC45; 08-03-2007 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

SDPC make a nice one. It is what I am running.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RC45
MTI Houston

I say a big NO on this one as they built me 2 different 427 LSX motors in the past and both failed with 4K and 10K miles on them (and never saw any spray or other F/I) and one of them was even a 427 C5R motor!
Old 08-04-2007, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

ERIK KOENIG of HK Racing! He built my 408! Great Guy to work with!!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:53 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Chicago Crew UnderBoss
I say a big NO on this one as they built me 2 different 427 LSX motors in the past and both failed with 4K and 10K miles on them (and never saw any spray or other F/I) and one of them was even a 427 C5R motor!
So because you destroyed 2 modded engines after 4,000 and 10,000 miles, they build bad motors?

After 2 in a row, one is almost inclined to say "operator error".

How did they fail?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

So because you destroyed 2 modded engines after 4,000 and 10,000 miles, they build bad motors?

How did they fail?
+1

I don't see a motor blowing at 10k because of the way it was built...
Old 08-05-2007, 10:53 AM
10 Second Club

TSP here. Putting down over 560 with the L92 heads and intake and runs out at 6K. So imagine if They offered a better intake. I am hoping for closer to 600 at the wheels once Fast or someone else comes out with a much better intake setup.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey Busa.........how'd your oil consumption issue ever pan out?Traver
Old 08-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

Thanks for all the responses, Im gonna keep doing my research and find out what would be best for me.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was in the same boat as you...and you can see below for what I chose...
Old 08-05-2007, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by beardWS6
ERIK KOENIG of HK Racing! He built my 408! Great Guy to work with!!
Second that one.
sent Erik a used 6.0 block.... came back to dallas with this!

So far I am impressed and his reputation is stellar!

Old 08-05-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did they fail?

WRONG,

First motor, iron 427, bored 4.060 with 4.125 crank. The crank welds on the brand new CALLIES 4.125 crank failed along with the reluctor wheel and the heads were overported and drinking oil like water. I was told by certain vendor that geometry on the motor was wrong for an ironblock!

Second Motor, C5R 427 Motor, N/A, also ended up drinking water b/c they used EPOXY for a bandaid fix to fix the overported heads on the first motor (instead of giving me new stage III LS6 heads) and the second motor ended up drinking oil and had to be rebuilt b/c major sludge found throughout the entire motor. Screw up once, ok, we are all human. Screw up twice b/c you do a bandaid fix on a $20K C5R motor and I say never going to get any more business from me or get anymore positive recommendations from me.

I recommend LME, ERIK KOENIG, CANADIAN PERFORMANCE, or VENGEANCE RACING!

Last edited by Chicago Crew UnderBoss; 08-05-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

WRONG,

First motor, iron 427, bored 4.060 with 4.125 crank. The crank welds on the brand new CALLIES 4.125 crank failed along with the reluctor wheel and the heads were overported and drinking oil like water. I was told by certain vendor that geometry on the motor was wrong for an ironblock!
So the welds on a crank Callies made failed after 4,000miles? Seems like thats not the engine builders fault but rather the crank vendors problem - di dyou ever take this up with them?

Nice try though.

Second Motor, C5R 427 Motor, N/A, also ended up drinking water b/c they used EPOXY for a bandaid fix to fix the overported heads on the first motor (instead of giving me new stage III LS6 heads) and the second motor ended up drinking oil and had to be rebuilt b/c major sludge found throughout the entire motor. Screw up once, ok, we are all human. Screw up twice b/c you do a bandaid fix on a $20K C5R motor and I say never going to get any more business from me or get anymore positive recommendations from me.

I recommend LME, ERIK KOENIG, CANADIAN PERFORMANCE, or VENGEANCE RACING!
So after 10,000 miles you claim that "sludge" and "epoxy" in the heads destroyed the second motor?

Sound slike you cheaped out on your engine maintenance and blame the builder for your own misfortunes.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

So the welds on a crank Callies made failed after 4,000miles? Seems like thats not the engine builders fault but rather the crank vendors problem - di dyou ever take this up with them?

Nice try though.

yes there was issues with the CALLIES crank and the vendor admitted that the geometry of the motor was off and they overported the heads and that is why motor was using oil like water as one of the heads was cracked from the overporting. How is this not the fault of the engine build who hand ported the heads themselves?

So after 10,000 miles you claim that "sludge" and "epoxy" in the heads destroyed the second motor?

Sound slike you cheaped out on your engine maintenance and blame the builder for your own misfortunes.
WRONG, the car had to be shipped back to them after 2000 miles b/c of MAJOR OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES (that's not CALLIES FALUT) on the first motor b/c heads were cracked from overporting and they attempted to fix the crack by using epoxy (instead of replacing the heads.) When that motor crapped out b/c of crank (YEAH CALLIES also gets blame here I'll give you that) and the car had to be shipped back a second time for the new build of my second motor (427 N/A C5R neither motor EVER saw juice or f/i), they used the same heads from the fist motor and the EXPOXY was obviously a band aid fix and did not do the job, as the C5R motor also ended up having MAJOR oil comsumptions issues b/c the EPOXY did not hold. I take care of my **** and changed the oil every 2000 miles and used the exact break in procedure on the second motor. Now I take it that was my fault to and not the engine buillder's fault that the second motor failed b/c of their bandaid fix on the heads, huh. If you really think that then all i have to say here is ! THey built you a good motor I hope and have built many good motors, but they have also screwed a lot of stuff up and their customer service has gone in the toilet the last several years and if you don't believe me do a litte search here and you will find hours and hours of reading. These shops get too big for their own good and it causes the customer service often time to get to **** and its unfortunate and the consumer suffers along with the ongoing reputation of the business! The rebuild of my new motor after the first one took a dump of course took about twice as long as it should have but that is a whole other issue. The mark of a GOOD TUNER is how they respond in fixing something after there is an issue. In my case, they failed here big time regarding the issue of the bandaid fix on the heads that caused the second motor to end up being junk in the long run and taking their sweet time on getting the second motor built and putting the project on the back burner (as the labor was free from warranty from first motor that failed).

I'm done here as I said what was on my mind and no reason to beat a dead horse anymore regarding my experience with the shop in question!

Last edited by Chicago Crew UnderBoss; 08-06-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:53 AM
Staging Lane

WRONG, the car had to be shipped back to them after 2000 miles b/c of MAJOR OIL CONSUMPTION ISSUES (that's not CALLIES FALUT) on the first motor b/c heads were cracked from overporting and they attempted to fix the crack by using epoxy (instead of replacing the heads.) When that motor crapped out b/c of crank (YEAH CALLIES also gets blame here I'll give you that) and the car had to be shipped back a second time for the new build of my second motor (427 N/A C5R no motor EVER saw juice or f/i), they used the same heads from the fist motor and the EXPOXY was obviously a band aid fix and did not do the job, as the C5R motor also ended up having MAJOR oil comsumptions issues b/c the EPOXY did not hold. I take care of my **** and changed the oil every 2000 miles and used the exact break in procedure on the second motor. Now I take it that was my fault to and not the engine buillder's fault that the second motor failed b/c of their bandaid fix on the heads, huh. If you really think that then all i have to say here is ! THey built you a good motor I hope and have built many good motors, but they have also screwed a lot of stuff up and their customer service has gone in the toilet the last several years and if you don't believe me to a litte search here and you will find hours and hours of reading. These shops get too big for their own good and it causes the customer service often time to get to **** and its unfortunate and the consumer suffers along with the ongoing reputation of the business! The rebuild of my new motor after the first one took a dump of course took about twice as long as it should have but that is a whole other issue. The mark of a GOOD TUNER is how they respond in fixing something after there is an issue. In my case, they failed here big time regarding the issue of the bandaid fix on the heads that caused the second motor to end up being junk in the long run and taking their sweet time on getting the second motor built and putting the project on the back burner (as the labor was free from warranty from first motor that failed).

I'm done here as I said what was on my mind and no reason to beat a dead horse anymore regarding my experience with the shop in question!
And by implication every other builder is perfect I suppose?

*shrug*
Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 AM
TECH Resident

lets stay on the topic boys-

Quick Reply: Looking For A Good 427 Shortblock