Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Horrible noise coming from Z06 LS7 motor valve cover, (VIDEO INSIDE), what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was an exhaust leak. All of my header bolts were loose on that side. Tighten them up and you will be just as happy as I am
Old 11-13-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default try rockers

my buddy just put a set of those blue scorpion rocks on and it sounded just LIKE that LOL!! sorry man I know it isnt funny anyways ,he called and gave him the batch# and sure enough they had a recall on his batch and sent him a new set and even offered to pay and have his 427 gone threw to check every thing out which was cool as **** and after hearing the new set on and the typ of company they seem to be ,LOL!!I bought a set too LOL!! so good luck guy and what kinda rockers were you running????
Old 11-13-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default TRY rockers

My buddy had the same noise with his new scorpion rockers about 2 months ago they sent him a new set and informed him he had a recalled batch and even offered to have his 427 gone threw at ther expence so after hearing the new rockers on his ride and the typ of company theyseem to be,i bought a set too LOL!! anyways what type rockers are you running??? good luckAnd there isnt ,and i repeat ANYTHING worse thene a noise that cant be fixed without pulling the engine Good luck guy but definitly check your rockers!
Old 11-13-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by UnitZ28
it's just an exhaust leak.. it's gonna be ok

i had a car with a very similar sounds like this and thats exactly what it was.... an exhaust leak...
Old 11-13-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS7 has lash caps on the intake valves. Are yours still there?
Old 11-13-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

pay special attn to the rocker fulcrums too. i broke 2.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

I tend to think exhaust also. Can't say for sure, but check the welds on the manifold to the head plate. Also check for a crack around the AIR tubes. I had an 85 vette that had a rattle that drove me crazy. It turned out to be the front "y" pipe. It was double walled and the inside pipe broke away and a chunk rattled against the outer pipe....It took forever to find it. I'd hate to see you tear it all apart and find out it was something that simple....

Ray
Old 11-14-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
A squeezing sound that sounded to me like a belt tensioner or slipping belt started today on C6 Z06 LS7 motor.

The car has 15k miles on it. It started where I could barely hear it and after a few miles it got alot louder where its constant now, hot or cold.

I pulled the valve covers. Checked all the pushrods and they are all great. No broken valve springs that I can see and rockers all good/tight.

The sound isnt grinding or anything, its just like in the video. When revving the motor the sound is minimal and on deceleration it is loud.

When driving the car, it has no loss of power, runs great. Under throttle you cant hear the noise really, its loud when decelerating and idling

Here is a video of it idling and revving it up. The sound is pretty clear and just like in person.

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCwZkZKa8W0

YOU HAVE A BLOWN EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKET!!!!!!!! i had the SAME EXACT noise with my 02 z28 like literally same exact noise with revving and everything. i too thought it came from under the valve cover till i noticed some carbon build up around the headers and bam that was the problem replaced them and no more noise.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:09 AM
Banned

Actually....if you want to know. I went through and checked the exhaust gaskets etc and that wasnt it.

Basically....after putting 100 miles on the car since taking the video, the noise literally went away on its own. It slowly got quieter then it was gone. I have no idea why/how but it is resolved. My best guess was a piece of trash on a lifter or something that wore its self away...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a lifter has a seized roller. You can hear it jumping around instead of rolling smoothly.
Old 11-15-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSInnovations
Actually....if you want to know. I went through and checked the exhaust gaskets etc and that wasnt it.

Basically....after putting 100 miles on the car since taking the video, the noise literally went away on its own. It slowly got quieter then it was gone. I have no idea why/how but it is resolved. My best guess was a piece of trash on a lifter or something that wore its self away...
not saying your wrong or anything but i remember when i drove around for a while my noise also began to get quiet it didnt completely go away but it got quieter after a while. i mean problems dont just fix them self and that is a distinct noise. i dont see how anything could have gotten to the lifter and then just burned away but im not a certified mechanic so who knows.

Quick Reply: Horrible noise coming from Z06 LS7 motor valve cover, (VIDEO INSIDE), what is it?