Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Burning oil bad after sitting for a month??

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Burning oil bad after sitting for a month??

Car has been just sitting for the last month and got it out yesterday to take back to have the tune fixed on it and when I started it up it had blue smoke for a little while. Seemed to go away after driving but hard to tell. It wasn't noticeable if it was. Is this a sign of the rockers bolts not having sealer on them or valve seals. Thanks for the input guys. Motor only has 1300 miles on it. Still dealing with the oil consumption issue. Might have to give TSP a call again.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it was sitting for a good bit and really only smoked on start up I wouldnt be worried about anything. You probably just had a good build up of oil in the chamber from sitting. If its smoking every time you get on it then Id then be more conserned with maybe the rings not sitting right or a bad valve seal etc.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03 BUSA
Car has been just sitting for the last month and got it out yesterday to take back to have the tune fixed on it and when I started it up it had blue smoke for a little while. Seemed to go away after driving but hard to tell. It wasn't noticeable if it was. Is this a sign of the rockers bolts not having sealer on them or valve seals. Thanks for the input guys. Motor only has 1300 miles on it. Still dealing with the oil consumption issue. Might have to give TSP a call again.
Sounds more typical of valve seals seaping if it was just on start up. Could also be the the rocker bolts if they protrude into the port and not sealed.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:26 PM
9 Second Club

Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I thought you had oil burning problems from the begining? The rocker bolt passages on the LS7 heads do not go all the way through and are closed off. I'm not sure on the L92 heads though. Anybody know this answer? Could be part of your problem but I suspect something else amiss. Traver
Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ramairws6
I thought you had oil burning problems from the begining? The rocker bolt passages on the LS7 heads do not go all the way through and are closed off. I'm not sure on the L92 heads though. Anybody know this answer? Could be part of your problem but I suspect something else amiss. Traver

I have had oil consumption issues from the beginning but never saw it through the tailpipes like the other day. Thought it was the catch can set up we had on it.

Quick Reply: Burning oil bad after sitting for a month??