Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Bare block weights, LSX,Warhawk,etc.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But if you race, you will know that its fairly easy to tune the suspension around 100 lbs. Thats like saying if you add a 13y/o kid as a co pilot, that your car will plow off the track. That is honestly unrealistic.

100lbs, in between te frame rails, down at damn near the lowest part of the car, is NOT going to cause to such noticeable difference that it causes you to "Plow" off the track. Even if it did, all you have to do is set up your suspension accordingly. Ever heard of "Corner weighting"?

The guys who sit on these forums and complain about the 100lbs, have NEVER been in a situation where they could "Honestly" give an educated opinion between the 2.
Not saying thats what YOU are doing, I am just saying that most of the guys here have never driven 2 cars set up EXACT. 1 with the 100lbs, 1 without.. I have.. Its NOT all that its cracked up to be.

If you were a die hard racer that required every ounce of weight to be right, then yes, I can see how it would be an issue. But 99% of the guys here, talk about weight issues, then add 2 N2o bottles, 75lbs worth of stereo equipment, and a 30lb sheetmetal intake. Its like they select what is "Allowed" to to be heavy, and what is not.

Originally Posted by silicone boy
An extra hundred pounds at the apex of hairpin turn is a bad, bad thing. Try it in a 2700 pound RX7 and you'll see. It's even worse in an understeering F-body. You may wind up plowing off track and taking a bunch of other cars with you. The other drivers will be very mad that you put more weight in your engine bay.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMERICAN_HP
But if you race, you will know that its fairly easy to tune the suspension around 100 lbs. Thats like saying if you add a 13y/o kid as a co pilot, that your car will plow off the track. That is honestly unrealistic.

100lbs, in between te frame rails, down at damn near the lowest part of the car, is NOT going to cause to such noticeable difference that it causes you to "Plow" off the track. Even if it did, all you have to do is set up your suspension accordingly. Ever heard of "Corner weighting"?

The guys who sit on these forums and complain about the 100lbs, have NEVER been in a situation where they could "Honestly" give an educated opinion between the 2.
Not saying thats what YOU are doing, I am just saying that most of the guys here have never driven 2 cars set up EXACT. 1 with the 100lbs, 1 without.. I have.. Its NOT all that its cracked up to be.

If you were a die hard racer that required every ounce of weight to be right, then yes, I can see how it would be an issue. But 99% of the guys here, talk about weight issues, then add 2 N2o bottles, 75lbs worth of stereo equipment, and a 30lb sheetmetal intake. Its like they select what is "Allowed" to to be heavy, and what is not.
I agree to a point, most people it won't matter. 100lbs does make a difference when you're trying to get your car as light as possible.

Just about everyone here has driven the exact same car with 100+ lbs less.

I've taken almost 300lbs off my car in weight reduction. Every 100lbs is worth time and mph. anyone who tells you different is wrong.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
Talked to a tech at World:

Warhawk = 133lbs
Which one? Tall deck or short?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 PM
FormerVendor

Your right, almost everyone on this board has driven their car with 100lbs less. You dont see everyone running around town buying 1 gallon of gas at a time do you? Or maybe making their passengers take their own car.

Thats my point. Everyone "Claims" that it makes such a HUGE deal, yet they dont notice when they do it. Were talking about street cars here. Almost 4,000 pound street cars. NOT 2700lb race cars.

Your 100% correct. IF you are racing to the point where 1mph makes the difference between winning or loosing, then yes, you need to watch your weight. But hell, its as easy as adding a couple more hp to make up for it.
Originally Posted by jermzz
I agree to a point, most people it won't matter. 100lbs does make a difference when you're trying to get your car as light as possible.

Just about everyone here has driven the exact same car with 100+ lbs less.

I've taken almost 300lbs off my car in weight reduction. Every 100lbs is worth time and mph. anyone who tells you different is wrong.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:29 PM
FormerVendor

Short
Originally Posted by black_knight
Old 12-04-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I am guessing LS1, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS6, and LS7 weigh around the same?

W
Old 12-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Teching In

Your right, almost everyone on this board has driven their car with 100lbs less. You dont see everyone running around town buying 1 gallon of gas at a time do you? Or maybe making their passengers take their own car.

Thats my point. Everyone "Claims" that it makes such a HUGE deal, yet they dont notice when they do it. Were talking about street cars here. Almost 4,000 pound street cars. NOT 2700lb race cars.

Your 100% correct. IF you are racing to the point where 1mph makes the difference between winning or loosing, then yes, you need to watch your weight. But hell, its as easy as adding a couple more hp to make up for it.
so what do thing will gets a 2700lb drag car go faster
427 ls7 or or 454 lsx.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

I street race and I keep a less then a quarter tank when I race. If it does happen to be on the freeway, I do make my passenger / friend drive or ride in another car. a 200lb passenger is worth quite a bit of space. Very noticable infact.

and yes, you can always add more power, but for the most part, weight reduction is free. I got my car down to 3250 raceweight with no wallet weight reduction mods. I could get it close to 3000 with me in if if I dipped into the wallet. Power to weight is everything.

Even something as small as a batterty relocation can make a difference. Not only are you taking weight off the front of the car, but you're relocating it to a better position for weight transfer. It starts to add up. When I do weight reduction, I shoot for 100lbs at a time, cause even on the street, it DOES make a difference.

everyone has an opinion though, and I definitly see where you're coming from. The more heavy your car is (4000 +) the less 100lbs is gonna do. But take a car thats 2800 - 3000 lbs and add 100lbs to it, it makes more of a difference.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 AM
Collections Removal

Originally Posted by black_knight
9.240 Deck.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

This thread is like a damn hen house. If someone feels that its a big difference then good for them. If someone feels its not worth the effort then more power to that fellow. The OP of this thread just wanted to share some good information. In any case lightening your car does no harm. If nothing else, you'll get better gas mileage.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

I called around to several company's offering block lightening services. They are advertising 30-35 lbs of weight reduction on a SBC. One shop only wants $395 for the service, however he does not have a CNC program for the LSX yet. I don't suppose anyone has junk block that they want to donate for the cause?

If my math is correct, there is another 19lbs of weight savings from boring the block from the 3.990" to 4.25 or 10lbs from boring to 4.125". I would have no problem going with the LSx in my vette at a weight of 170lbs compared to 135lbs of the Warhawk.

There is also mention of a "Warren Johnson" lightweight LSx block in the works from GMPP. Reference the last sentence of the 4th paragraph in this GM Hightech Performance article.
http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ock/specs.html

Last edited by john_sblendorio; 12-04-2007 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tvrbo
thanks for the numbers.

Anyone know what an L92 weighs?
should be somewhere around the 6.0. to my understanding its an iron block unlike the LS3.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The L92 block is the same as the LS3 block. Both are aluminum.

Quick Reply: Bare block weights, LSX,Warhawk,etc.