Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

PRC Stage 1.5 vs. AFR 225

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike C., 5.3 liter heads flow the same as LS1 heads but have a higher compression. that is the only difference, the CC's. Compare patriots 5.3liter vs. their ls1 or ls6 flow numbers. identical! Same with the TSP's PRC's. Like I said it just gives you more compression. Everyone knows the more compression the more explosive the car is. Now, Mike I am talking about an LS1 not an LS2. For ***** and giggles, call MTI in Houston and ask them about this question.

lilbuddy1587: you posted to COD02ss saying that he had no idea about what he was talking about by saying that the PRC heads are better than the AFR's. What you didnt read was that he was talking about the LSX engine. and he is right. the ALL NEW PRC LS7x 7.0L + CNC Ported Heads outflow the AFR's. do the research at www.texas-speed.com. And for the amount of money, its better to go with those. Again I am Saying for the LSX engine. Either way, that post was off topic, because the host was talking about an LS1.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastvet
Mike C., 5.3 liter heads flow the same as LS1 heads but have a higher compression. that is the only difference, the CC's. Compare patriots 5.3liter vs. their ls1 or ls6 flow numbers. identical! Same with the TSP's PRC's. Like I said it just gives you more compression. Everyone knows the more compression the more explosive the car is. Now, Mike I am talking about an LS1 not an LS2. For ***** and giggles, call MTI in Houston and ask them about this question.

lilbuddy1587: you posted to COD02ss saying that he had no idea about what he was talking about by saying that the PRC heads are better than the AFR's. What you didnt read was that he was talking about the LSX engine. and he is right. the ALL NEW PRC LS7x 7.0L + CNC Ported Heads outflow the AFR's. do the research at www.texas-speed.com. And for the amount of money, its better to go with those. Again I am Saying for the LSX engine. Either way, that post was off topic, because the host was talking about an LS1.
He was clearly talking about the LSx PLATFORM, meaning ls1, ls2, ls6 etc. Not only that but there are MANY PRC variants from TSP, why don't you do some research.

Originally Posted by COD02SS
In one word.. NO. The AFR's are a nice piece but the PRC's are the best bang for the buck head for the LSX cars
Also, you need to stop trying to preach to everyone that flow #'s = HP, thats mis-information
Old 12-12-2007, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LSX engine means any LS-based engine. So you're not being clear. You'd have to specify LSx block to refer to an engine with the LSx block.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Banned

I'm happy with my PRC LS6 head/MS3 combo which has been running right there with AFR/G5X3 combos from the stop & roll and making the same amount of power as them also..... Thanks TSP...
Old 12-12-2007, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by c5_ls1_6spd
I'm happy with my PRC LS6 head/MS3 combo which has been running right there with AFR/G5X3 combos from the stop & roll and making the same amount of power as them also..... Thanks TSP...
Apples to oranges. The MS3 is a good top-end cam, but gives a lot of low end torque that the X3 has. MS3 is a big cam basically where the X3 behaves more like a med-large cam.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by N4cer
Apples to oranges. The MS3 is a good top-end cam, but gives a lot of low end torque that the X3 has. MS3 is a big cam basically where the X3 behaves more like a med-large cam.
How is that apples to oranges?
Old 12-12-2007, 06:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
He was clearly talking about the LSx PLATFORM, meaning ls1, ls2, ls6 etc. Not only that but there are MANY PRC variants from TSP, why don't you do some research.

Also, you need to stop trying to preach to everyone that flow #'s = HP, thats mis-information

First off, I have done my research! Unlike you, that probably went to a shop and gave them money and told them to make you a fast car. You probably have a fast car, but I bet the driver doesn't have what it takes to put that power to the wheels! You talk so much **** about the AFR's, but yet you don't run them on your setup. Instead, you put other people down for not having them. Maybe you should fork out that cash. Not only that, trickflow outperformed AFR heads on GM high-tech magazine. Bet you didn't do that research!

Second, I know you are not going to sit there infront of your computer with that retarded face you got on and say that flow #'s don't equal power. So your telling me that a person with .600 lift cam will get more power out of a set of heads with 296 cfm rather than 322cfm at .600 lift. your living in a fantasy land. everyone knows that more air equals more power. For example, SUPERCHARGERS!!! You just have to have the right air/fuel ratio mix. I think you have to go back to school and learn your **** all over again cuz you obviously missed something!!!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

i'm not very knowledgable in this subject, but one thing i do know, is that alot of it has to do with combos. matching a good cam to a nice set of heads is easier then just picking a good cam and good heads. all things must work in harmony
Old 12-13-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

First off, I have done my research! Unlike you, that probably went to a shop and gave them money and told them to make you a fast car. You probably have a fast car, but I bet the driver doesn't have what it takes to put that power to the wheels! You talk so much **** about the AFR's, but yet you don't run them on your setup. Instead, you put other people down for not having them. Maybe you should fork out that cash. Not only that, trickflow outperformed AFR heads on GM high-tech magazine. Bet you didn't do that research!
The best you've got is personal insults and ridiculous emoticons? You're the reason threads that are informative get closed. I paid someone to do my work? Real cute buddy, too bad my 384 stroker is HOME BUILT. I don't run AFR's because my budget didnt allow it. I won't hesitate to say it either, but I'm not so far in denial that I can't admit they're a fantastic product. Never ONCE did I put down people who don't run AFR heads, show me where? Also, as far as trickflow out performing AFR's, that's old news and they weren't out performed by much. That's also proven day in and day out here on LS1tech.

Second, I know you are not going to sit there infront of your computer with that retarded face you got on and say that flow #'s don't equal power. So your telling me that a person with .600 lift cam will get more power out of a set of heads with 296 cfm rather than 322cfm at .600 lift. your living in a fantasy land. everyone knows that more air equals more power. For example, SUPERCHARGERS!!! You just have to have the right air/fuel ratio mix. I think you have to go back to school and learn your **** all over again cuz you obviously missed something!!!
Again with the personal insults? Do you think by you being as condescending as you are is going to get you very far? As far as big flow/PEAK numbers always equaling big power, YOU ARE WRONG. None of the other points of lift matter? Say for instance what about .200,.300 and .400? Here's a little something for you buddy, BIG NUMBERS @ .600 LIFT ARE HINDERED BY THE LSX's (just for your grandpa, ls1/2/3/6/7) INTAKE MANIFOLD DESIGN. Why do you think some of these heads such as AFR or TFS put out such great numbers? Because they have more to offer than just PEAK FLOW.

Now you're trying to compare superchargers to head flow? WTF? You just have to have the right A/F ratio? WTF does ANY of that have to do with head flow? Fantasy land? I think you need to put the magazines down and go enjoy your midlife crisis mobile. Make sure to hit your NAWWWWWWWWWZZZ button too.....

Last edited by lilbuddy1587; 12-13-2007 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
The best you've got is personal insults and ridiculous emoticons? You're the reason threads that are informative get closed. I paid someone to do my work? Real cute buddy, too bad my 384 stroker is HOME BUILT. I don't run AFR's because my budget didnt allow it. I won't hesitate to say it either, but I'm not so far in denial that I can't admit they're a fantastic product. Never ONCE did I put down people who don't run AFR heads, show me where? Also, as far as trickflow out performing AFR's, that's old news and they weren't out performed by much. That's also proven day in and day out here on LS1tech.

Again with the personal insults? Do you think by you being as condescending as you are is going to get you very far? As far as big flow/PEAK numbers always equaling big power, YOU ARE WRONG. None of the other points of lift matter? Say for instance what about .200,.300 and .400? Here's a little something for you buddy, BIG NUMBERS @ .600 LIFT ARE HINDERED BY THE LSX's (just for your grandpa, ls1/2/3/6/7) INTAKE MANIFOLD DESIGN.

Now you're trying to compare superchargers to head flow? WTF? You just have to have the right A/F ratio? WTF does ANY of that have to do with head flow? Fantasy land? I think you need to put the magazines down and go enjoy your midlife crisis mobile. Make sure to hit your NAWWWWWWWWWZZZ button too.....

YEEESSSSSSSSSS, I PISSED YOU THE **** OFF! FINALLY! ...You've been pissing people off on this thread with your insults and now its done to you. I can just picture you sitting in front of your computer all fired up! hahahaha You just made my DAY!Thanks Man, I owe you one!

This thread has gone way out of point. I am not even going to argue with your remarks. By the way, you dont have to be old to own a panty-dropping Vette!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

YEEESSSSSSSSSS, I PISSED YOU THE **** OFF! FINALLY! ...You've been pissing people off on this thread with your insults and now its done to you. I can just picture you sitting in front of your computer all fired up! hahahaha You just made my DAY!Thanks Man, I owe you one!

This thread has gone way out of point. I am not even going to argue with your remarks. By the way, you dont have to be old to own a panty-dropping Vette!
LOL watch out for this guy. He owns a 98 Vette, actually a "panty dropping" 98 Vette. a 98 LOL! Get real bro and grow up. Your lowsy attempt to "**** someone the **** off" didn't work. Actually it made you sound like a immature ***.

Its been proven time and time again that PEAK flow numbers don't always make the most power. Not only that, but PEAK power isn't always an advantage either.

As its been stated PRC/Patriot heads are a quality head for the money. But heads such as AFR and TFS are far better all the way around. They provide better peak numbers and better area under the curve.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry to step on your toes bro, but they do have some valid points...

First off, its not all about peak flow... Id much rather have a head that flows better in the low/mid range then an all out peaky number... otherwise the area under the curve is gonna be pretty shitty.

It all depends on the application of coarse, but unless your at the track low-mid range numbers are more applicable on a street application.

Second of all, A/F ratio has nothing to do with air flow... I wont even go into that.

Third, if your goal in life is to **** off lilbuddy... good luck, it aint easy, hahaa. and yes he built his motor HIMSELF... which I have a lot of respect for since I dont have that type of mechanical know how. So before you pick your fights, make sure you know what your talking about

Thank you, have a nice day
Old 12-13-2007, 09:58 AM
10 Second Club

I'll just take my cheap prc heads, and my $400 nitrous kit and run 10's all day. Then I'll still have $500 to $700 to spend on other mods instead of a few more ponies with afr's.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Addict

There is so much wrong information in this thread that it has ceased to be of use to anyone.

FWIW think about the profile on a typical camshaft. Where does the valve spend most of its time??? At .200 lift or within ~10% of peak lift?????? Just something to think about.

Flame suit on.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by andy670ho
I'll just take my cheap prc heads, and my $400 nitrous kit and run 10's all day. Then I'll still have $500 to $700 to spend on other mods instead of a few more ponies with afr's.

Same here....I hadn't had a Trickflow or AFR headed car put more than a 1/2 car on me yet, so I'm loving my PRC budget heads...
Old 12-14-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wow, I am truly surpised how people are snowballed by the "flow numbers"
For those of you that said that they don't mean everything, you are right.
They are not the be all, end all for engine power.
low lift numbers are important for a street and race engine. If you have crappy low lift and huge high lift numbers, it will be a complete pooch on the street and more than likely you'll be leaning it out for bottom end power and losing power on the top, you set it up for top end power, you'll be really lazy on the bottom end.
Now, if you have a supercharger or turbo, the numbers are not a detrimental are they are with a n/a or nitrous engine.
You have two sets of heads.. one that flows 320 cfm and one that flows 300cfm, but the one that flows 300cfm outflows the other head across the board, and has better average flow, you will be faster.
Beyond that, the cam is the most important aspect to an engine.
I have built combos with stock heads and intake that easily outran an engine with huge heads and a mismatched cam.
Ok, I lost my train of thought, but for all those that think peak numbers are the key, are severely mis-informed.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Qwiknotch
Wow, I am truly surpised how people are snowballed by the "flow numbers"
For those of you that said that they don't mean everything, you are right.
They are not the be all, end all for engine power.
low lift numbers are important for a street and race engine. If you have crappy low lift and huge high lift numbers, it will be a complete pooch on the street and more than likely you'll be leaning it out for bottom end power and losing power on the top, you set it up for top end power, you'll be really lazy on the bottom end.
Now, if you have a supercharger or turbo, the numbers are not a detrimental are they are with a n/a or nitrous engine.
You have two sets of heads.. one that flows 320 cfm and one that flows 300cfm, but the one that flows 300cfm outflows the other head across the board, and has better average flow, you will be faster.
Beyond that, the cam is the most important aspect to an engine.
I have built combos with stock heads and intake that easily outran an engine with huge heads and a mismatched cam.
Ok, I lost my train of thought, but for all those that think peak numbers are the key, are severely mis-informed.
Good post buddy Maybe this will wake up the uninformed and childish little kiddies thinking peak flow numbers are all that matter.

Quick Reply: PRC Stage 1.5 vs. AFR 225