solid roller 416
10.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Katech 427 or L92 416?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, when it's all said and done and the engine covers and brackets are in place, nobody but you will know how big it actually is . Still, I want the 427 cubes, that's a magic number for Chevy...and Ford...and one cube bigger than Mopar's most famous engine.
I know that TSP is recommending staying with the 4.0" stroke on sprayed/forced induction engines but don't seem to have any problems with N/A.
njc, how's the summer weather down under? I spent about a month in Perth while in the Navy back in about '80. Damned near stayed - I found the Aussies to be some of the most hospitable people in the world, sure enjoyed myself. Hella good lookin' women and lots of 'em! I thought I was a professional drinker but learned quick that I was a rank amateur compared to y'all! I hope to make it back some day, may just stay next time
Old 12-14-2007, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm the same, I want to know I have a 427 under there. The only thing is that Katech is obviously well built....but still a resleeved block. Something would always be in my head about that too. It would be LSX or a ls7 block for myself (i understand that there is nothing wrong with any of the other choices, it's just a pickiness thing and that of course doesn't win races either)
the problem with the L92 to me is that it takes a pretty big crank to get it out to 427. I'd definitely prefer bigger bore shorter stroke. It's just the voices in my head though.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Addict

Katech's resleeve 427 surpasses GM's LS7 block - better sleeves and vacuum impregnation. If you do your homework (research) you'll not find a better option than a Katech build.
Who else around here has won Lemans??
Old 12-15-2007, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

With Katech's reputation and their direct involvement with GM, what more could you ask for in a builder. They have developed some wicked engine throughout the years and will continue to do so. If I was in your spot, spend a few extra $$'s and do it the right way with Katech! Look at your poll results and then make your decision. Right now it's at almost 80% in Katech's favor and I'm sure there's a reason for it.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:10 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Busted Knuckles
Yeah, when it's all said and done and the engine covers and brackets are in place, nobody but you will know how big it actually is . Still, I want the 427 cubes, that's a magic number for Chevy...and Ford...and one cube bigger than Mopar's most famous engine.
I know that TSP is recommending staying with the 4.0" stroke on sprayed/forced induction engines but don't seem to have any problems with N/A.
njc, how's the summer weather down under? I spent about a month in Perth while in the Navy back in about '80. Damned near stayed - I found the Aussies to be some of the most hospitable people in the world, sure enjoyed myself. Hella good lookin' women and lots of 'em! I thought I was a professional drinker but learned quick that I was a rank amateur compared to y'all! I hope to make it back some day, may just stay next time
its been a bit weird this week but its getting hotter earlier every year-we already had 38 degrees and that was 4 days before the start of the summer season-

i am not in perth but was their about 6 months ago-really nice-

when did u come in 1980???? if u did thats a long time ago and a lot has change-

tax has gone up thats for sure-----
Old 12-15-2007, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by sapper_daddy
I'm the same, I want to know I have a 427 under there. The only thing is that Katech is obviously well built....but still a resleeved block. Something would always be in my head about that too. It would be LSX or a ls7 block for myself (i understand that there is nothing wrong with any of the other choices, it's just a pickiness thing and that of course doesn't win races either)
the problem with the L92 to me is that it takes a pretty big crank to get it out to 427. I'd definitely prefer bigger bore shorter stroke. It's just the voices in my head though.
i go by one theory-has a katech re-sleeve ls2 427 **** itself yet-

if their rep is good -why would they put out a product to damage themselves-

i heard a lot of good things about their stuff- as usual if i had the money i would buy off them-

the only thing i can aford now is their rod bolt kit-

jason pm me some payment details and freight cost to australai when u get a chance-
Old 12-15-2007, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

I love Katechas much as anyone but I am always hearing that the LS7 block is not good well i for one have not seen one thing to support such a claim. Sure in theory the darton sleeve is better than the GM sleeve but at what point does that come into play 600, 700, 800 a 1000 rwhp??? Cause if GM made the LS7 to make over 500 horsepower and spin too 7000+ rpms I think they did their homework and found what would work. I am sure they left themselves a nice safety net so they didnt have to replace alot of LS7 engines under warrantee.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:08 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me tell you guys a little bit about our proprietary resleeving process.

We first CNC machine out the original liners. We install our new liners using a 450 degree temperature differential. I'm not sure that anybody else has a process like this. A special fixture is bolted into place as the temperature of the sleeve and the block are equalizing. Then the block is CNC bored to size. It is then sent out for double vacuum impregnation, a process which uses a vacuum to pull a loctite-like material into every pore of the block. This process is done twice to ensure nearly 100% coverage. The block is honed to final bore size, decked and machined for billet main caps if the option was selected.

Facts:
-We have never ONCE failed a Katech sleeved block.
-We have customers running 800rwhp Procharged 427s

A little bit about the LS7 block:
The LS7 block is also very good. I'm not sure why there is a hesitation about making serious horsepower on the stock block.

Facts:
-We just made 825bhp on a stock LS7 block. We're making some changes and going for more.
-Lingenfelter just made 1500bhp on a stock LS7 block with a steel main stud girdle.
-We just torture-tested our LS7 Air Attack pistons under some very extreme conditions. The engine was torn down. The pistons and block looked surprisingly well.
-The only negative things I have read about the LS7 block have come from companies who make or sell sleeves as their primary business. I think it is in their best interest to give you the impression that the stock block is weak.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bink
Katech's resleeve 427 surpasses GM's LS7 block - better sleeves and vacuum impregnation. If you do your homework (research) you'll not find a better option than a Katech build.
Who else around here has won Lemans??
ahem..*cough*...5 times.

Originally Posted by njc.corp
i go by one theory-has a katech re-sleeve ls2 427 **** itself yet-

if their rep is good -why would they put out a product to damage themselves-

i heard a lot of good things about their stuff- as usual if i had the money i would buy off them-

the only thing i can aford now is their rod bolt kit-

jason pm me some payment details and freight cost to australai when u get a chance-
I'm going to need a little more information than that. ie. Complete address, business or residence, what we are shipping.
jason@katechengines.com
Old 12-15-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

why not a 440? same price (maybe not with katech)
Old 12-15-2007, 10:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Greg Fell
why not a 440? same price (maybe not with katech)
What bore/stroke? 4.125x4.125? Too much stroke for 7000rpm.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

- go with the billet mains- insurance.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Katech
What bore/stroke? 4.125x4.125? Too much stroke for 7000rpm.
Yep, already thought about it but in discusion with Jason it was eliminated due to the rev limitations. Jason has been a great source of information for me, big thanks for all his time.

I was thinking if I could take their 4.125 case and make something almost as big/power but for say 2k less money. Thats why the 418/16 discusion. Can I save and come out the same or ahead. I too love the thought of a 427. I think it was a Stingray that I first saw and heard one in, in the 70's. That was always my dream car grwoing up. A 427 Stingray with sidepipes

Some of you have seen my side exhaust discussions in here for my SS. Thats where it all comes from..lol
Old 12-15-2007, 02:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Katech
A little bit about the LS7 block:
The LS7 block is also very good. I'm not sure why there is a hesitation about making serious horsepower on the stock block.

Facts:
-We just made 825bhp on a stock LS7 block. We're making some changes and going for more.
-Lingenfelter just made 1500bhp on a stock LS7 block with a steel main stud girdle.
-We just torture-tested our LS7 Air Attack pistons under some very extreme conditions. The engine was torn down. The pistons and block looked surprisingly well.
-The only negative things I have read about the LS7 block have come from companies who make or sell sleeves as their primary business. I think it is in their best interest to give you the impression that the stock block is weak.
AMEN right from the leading source on what can and cant be done with a resleeved LS2 or a stock block LS7. If I am to trust anyones opinion its gunna be the guys that GM themselves have making and modding their engines for lemans and other races. KATECH all the way!!!!!!!

Jason a little more info bout these air attack pistons if you dont mind. Also when you were testing them was that using a stock LS7 block??? Was there anything wrong with either the block or the pistons and what is meant by "extreme" testing? Thanks for the info
Old 12-15-2007, 03:13 PM
Banned

Ok it looks like this is going forward quicker than I thought, a buyer just indicated his readiness. I'm getting 7k for my long block wich is a good deal for him, ok money for me.
Do I include my rockers? (YT ultra lites) is that usual? I'm not including my meziere.

I will need to buy covers and an oil pan, timing set, cam, pushrods, heads, etc.

hoping to keep my cost down to 4k if possible. Katech off the shelf 427 is 7k basicaly (69xx) then add delivery unless they're offering free shipping on purchases over $6900..lol

So unless my math is wrong its an 11,000 budget.

Last edited by 99blancoSS; 12-15-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are you doing the engine R and R yourself? I keep debating doing this with my H/C C5.
Old 12-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Banned

I'm not sure yet. I did swapped the 347 in last time, it was a major pia in my driveway dodging the weather. I'd like to take the easy way out this time, I'm holding back some cash from the budget for it. Just not sure. I dont have room in my garage and its winter here in the NW..lol I'm guessing 1k for it to be done if I'm lucky. Then it needs a tune. I need some flow matched injectors as well.

I swapped a 350 into my 72 Chevelle in the NE winter once outside... 6 degrees out.. was a nightmare but I was 18 and had no money for anyone to do it.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hell if its only $1,000 for R and R let me know who does it! I know how the NW gets trust me
Old 12-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Banned

that was the quote with me being the tool bitch last time lol, not sure about others. I'll let you know what he says this time
Old 12-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Teching In

What would be the rpm limit on a 440 cid?

Quick Reply: Katech 427 or L92 416?